Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/09/2006, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Anyone brewing their own beer?

I've been interested in this for awhile, and think i'll start with one of those kits they have at bed bath and beyond. Anyone here brewing their own that could give me some advice? I'm interested in brewing a nice IPA.
Old 11/09/2006, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

I haven't done this myself, but I've also thought about doing it some time. There is a local club here:

http://musiccitybrewers.com/

And there is a supply store that I have been to that would probably be a much better place to start and ask questions that Bed Bath and Beyond. Kind of like an LFS for homebrew:

http://www.allseasonsnashville.com/

I have purchased a float valve and buckets of various sorts from them for my RO/DI setup and for my aquarium.

mmmm. IPA
Old 11/09/2006, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

danieljames...should have mentioned this when you were up here the other day...I have been brewing my own beer for many years now. It's one of my favorite hobbies. I do all me brewing from scratch using malted grains. Be careful of some kits though as you would be better off buying vinegar and at the least 12 cases of toilet paper!! IPA, Bitters, Stouts and Brown Ale are my favorites. However, I brew an awesome Marzen (October Fest) Lager.

Dave
Old 11/09/2006, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

I uses to brew all the time. I love it. The only thing is that you have to make sure that everything is clean and sanitizes really well.
Old 11/09/2006, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

I'm a winemaker myself...haven't tried beer yet. Mostly, I make wine to give away around Christmas time.

In addition to All Seasons, check out the Lil Ole' Winemaker Shoppe. They don't have a website anymore, but that sell both wine making and beer brewing supplies. They're on Charlotte Pike about 1/10th of a mile past White Bridge Road. 352-6301

Saving for the wedding takes precedence over the 90g. Got my 29g going for now.
Old 11/09/2006, 08:58 PM
#-_#-_ B _-#_-#

I've been interested in doing it and have a few books about brewing that I've read. I just was afraid that the equipment to do it right would cost more than I wanted to invest in case I sucked at it... so, instead I started a cheaper hobby... reefing

"I want to be like captain kirk
get up every day and love to go to work
don't want to be like mr. spock
want to kick out the jams and rock the block"

-Bob Schneider
Old 11/09/2006, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

You could get started with less than $100 including your first batch. Don't buy the beer in a barrel kit. It is on the level of cheap beer at a New Orleans strip joint.
There is also BYO magazine that is pretty good but they recycle the same articles/pictures about every five years.
Good luck.

I asked my 3 year old daughter who wore man panties and she replied, "Superman!" Think about it.
Old 11/09/2006, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

I'll second that you should go to all seasons in Green Hills.
My roomate makes Honey Mead and gets all his stuff from there.
Old 11/10/2006, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

I't really not that hard. The hardest part is just doing it, well and not drinking it all befor the batch has had time to matur. Just don't expect your first batch to be the best. Be peasant, and befor you know it you'll be growing you one hops in your back yard, as I do.
Old 11/10/2006, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

There is a store on Charlotte, that I get my equipment from. There is a home brewing club that you have to join. The name is Music City Brewing. I was a member for a while. They will have meetings at members' home or at the local resturants/brewery.
Old 11/10/2006, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

all seasons is a great place in green hills. i use to brew my own all the time. they have a good selection of grains and hops. you can pick up clone brew books there too if there is a particular kind you like. i used to make my own version of guiness a lot and also new castle. its also a fun hobby and a little cheaper than reefs
Old 11/10/2006, 06:21 PM
wrasse connoisseur

id love to try youre guys brews. my wife is a "beer tender" at the flying saucer downtown and ive tried all 313 beers. my favorite is kirin ichiban and murphys irish red. if you sell home brews pm me, im always up for something new unless its a heffen weisin (sp?).<~~~~steve
Old 11/11/2006, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

Thanks alot gent's. I plan on having some IPA brewing here in the next week or so. I read that the more ingredients in the beer, the more it takes to brew. Some upwards of 6 months. Not sure how long an IPA will take, but i shall see.
Turbo..i'd be glad to turn you on to some IPA when it's done. Some friends and I go to the saucer on monday's for pint night. Love the outfits on the servers. Almost as good as the beer there.
Old 11/11/2006, 08:21 AM
Premium Member

Who makes the dank dark? I've been kicking around the idea for years, just haven't made the leap.
Old 11/11/2006, 02:24 PM
wrasse connoisseur

Quote:
Originally posted by danieljames
Thanks alot gent's. I plan on having some IPA brewing here in the next week or so. I read that the more ingredients in the beer, the more it takes to brew. Some upwards of 6 months. Not sure how long an IPA will take, but i shall see.
Turbo..i'd be glad to turn you on to some IPA when it's done. Some friends and I go to the saucer on monday's for pint night. Love the outfits on the servers. Almost as good as the beer there.
im usually there mondays as well, we should set something up to meet one week. my wife can wait on us....all the shot glass tasters you could want.her name is lauren, perhaps youll recognize her at the meeting tonight. she usually works monday nights.the tasters are a better alternative to buying a beer you may or may not like before you drop the money on it also id be quite excited to taste an ipa from you. also im gonna retract my previous statement about heffe weizens; i drank a hoegaarden last night from belgium and it was spectacular. see you guys soon>~~~steve
Old 11/12/2006, 01:22 AM
Registered Member

I've never heard of dank dark Gary. Is it like a stout?
I'm definately in for pint night steve. The weather is perfect for the couches. I don't usually drink Hefe's, as i like a bitter finish. Pyramid makes an IPA that i used to be able to get at broadway brewhouse on tap, but they stopped carrying it for some reason. It was/is the best i've tasted. Sweetwater has a really good IPA as well. I'll have to research a bit on the recipe, but the more bitter the better for me. More hops i suppose.
Old 11/12/2006, 02:44 AM
wrasse connoisseur

pint night it is gents. see everyone on monday? pm me if you want to turn it into concrete plans and well def. go also the saucer just started carrying youre pyramid ipa i believe, ill have to ask the wife in the morning but i know they carry pyramid curve ball and a few others. <~~steve
Old 11/12/2006, 03:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by turboex901
my favorite is kirin ichiban
There is a chinese place here in pleasantview man...all day every sunday they have $2.50 ichiban bottles and $9.00 all you can eat snow crab.
Old 11/12/2006, 06:10 AM
Registered Member

danieljames...got your pm, I'll give you a call later today. It would be easier to talk to you, than to try and type all the info..

Dave
Old 11/12/2006, 10:35 AM
Premium Member

Daniel,

The dank dark is just a general terms for 'give me a meal in a bottle; . Once I went dark, I can't bring myself to come back...

One I think everyone in the world should try is Rogue Hazelnutbrown Nectar. It is truly of the gods. My fav of all time is Sammy Smith's Oaties, but the Rogue Nectar is a close second.
Old 11/12/2006, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

i like the samual smiths to gary. i have a recipe for the oatmeal stout and there tadycaster too.
Old 11/12/2006, 10:45 AM
wrasse connoisseur

gary, as we were talking about earlier, most american beers suck. i guess the one exception is rouge......maybe oregon is the only state that has figured it out <~~~steve

p.s-daniel they dont have pyramid ipa but they do have harpoon ipa on tap,white hawk ipa, stone ipa, samuel smith ipa, highland kashmere ipa, rogue imperial ipa ($28 a bottle...yikes!) and a few others. the wife also reccomended a red seal due to its super hoppy taste, although considered an ale, its nearly an ipa.
Old 11/12/2006, 11:24 AM
Lazy Reefer!!!

man, all this beer talk is making me thirsty!!! I have always been a Bock fan myself being from Texas. grew up on Shiner and Ziegenbock. I have a buddy over in NC who brews his own. his name is Harold birdyshaw and calls his beers Birdweisers! pretty good if you like a good stout. has bottling eqpt and everything. I remember a friend getting one of those beer of the month club deals and we had some beer that tasted like a cedar 2x4!
Old 11/12/2006, 05:10 PM
#-_#-_ B _-#_-#

Well, as I said before I've been reading on how to do it for a while and so last night I broke down and bought some equipment. I'm brewing up an American amber right now. I know it isn't anything real spectacular, but I figured I'd keep it simple (and hopefully less likely to screw up) for a first batch.

I'm usually with Gary on the dark stuff and I'll be looking that way next time.

"I want to be like captain kirk
get up every day and love to go to work
don't want to be like mr. spock
want to kick out the jams and rock the block"

-Bob Schneider
Old 11/12/2006, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pickupman66
I have always been a Bock fan myself
samuel adams makes what they call a "double bock". It's a winter release back home, but I haven't been able to find it up here. This stuff was heavier than guinness extra. Incredibly thick and delicious. ABV was about 8.5%.

Brian..what kit did you go with?