Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/07/2006, 08:07 PM
Premium Member

biocube 14 vs. aquapod 12

Which tank is better? I have seen a biocube at lfs and they look pretty nice, but never seen a aquapod. I read that nano cubes suck. Is this true. Also which tank would house a nano skimmer better. I know a tnuze will fit in a biocube 29, but how about the 14. any suggestion would be helpfull. thanks.
Old 11/07/2006, 08:40 PM
Premium Member

I got the
bio Cube don't have it set up yet my wife had a heart attack so I've been pretty busy with her. Good Luck

Mark
Old 11/07/2006, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

I have the aquapod 12g. Did my homework and liked the aquapod over the others. Reason is the that Current USA makes the Aquapod and Current has the best lights around. The lights in the Aquapod are geared towards reefs with no modifications needed, more so the whole tank really needs no mods, although some folks do. Not sure what the nanocubes cost, but my aqua was $149. highly recommend!!
As far as the nano skimmers, I was told by the experts we don't need them and the little ones out there don't work.
Old 11/09/2006, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Re: biocube 14 vs. aquapod 12

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremyj0247
I read that nano cubes suck. Is this true.
The NC12 original, is only good for fish, since it has a single 24w PC. Now the NC12 DX has 48watts, but has less light than the AP12 with 54watts. The bio-cube 14 & 29 should have more light IMHO. Wattage per gallon is less the others.
Old 11/10/2006, 07:13 AM
Registered Member

No, the new NC's don't suck at all. Iv'e had one now for 3 months and i absolutely love it! Much much cheaper than the biocube too...i think its personal preference and what types of accessories/lighting you want for your tank. I have the JBJ...my fav Good Luck!
P.S The older NC's had a problem with the glass cracking but the new ones have thicker glass and the problem is fixed.
Old 11/10/2006, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

what kind of lighting does the bio cube come with? compared to the aqua pod and nano cube. also does the bio cube come with moon lights?
Old 11/10/2006, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

I have an aquapod and love it, only mod I've done it blocked off the lower intake so it does surface skimming and have a maxijett 900. Looking into getting a saphire skimmer, I've heard nothing but great things about the skimmer.
Old 11/10/2006, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

which one of these units skims the surface better????
Old 11/10/2006, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

I got a Nano classic about 2 years ago, the pum[p went out after about a year and ballast went out about 3 months ago. None to be found locally so I forgot about it. My Damsel survived but she survives anything. The corals died.
I just got a 14 Gallon Biocube. Mainly because of the 2 Corallife light bulbs. I'm liking it so far, just 2 Damsels and a bunch of live rock. I'm going to check the water in the morning and maybe go get some mushrooms and a starfish.
Are these pre-made nano tanks that fragile? What kind of hardware should I keep Extras of? I just called and ordered a ballast to get the Nanocube running it's on Back order for a month? A moth would be a disaster if I had a lot in it. What is a good plan for such hardware failure?
Old 11/11/2006, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

I have a AP12 and have seen the BC14s. My kids will be getting a BC as I think it is better thought out.
IMHO... BC>AP>NC
Old 11/11/2006, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

I have the 14 gallon biocube...I love it. I bought it after my nanocube cracked and spilled water all over the carpet. So far my biocube has proved to be really nice. I haven't done any mods to it at all and it does an excellent job for me. I have a few corals in there including a frogspawn which is doing really well. The biocube comes with 48 watts of PC lighting and it does have moonlights. I personally think this unit is made better than the nanocube, but that's just me...
Old 11/11/2006, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

I just bought an older Nanocube 12 Deluxe. I hope it doesn't crack. Just added my 1st bit of Coral into my Biocube. And a White Star Fish also. I hope the Nano doesn't crack.
Old 11/12/2006, 02:54 AM
Premium Member

Another vote for the 12 gallon aquapod. I've seen them as cheap as $120 or so online. The tank overall is doing great and I'm very happy.
Old 11/12/2006, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Should I take the bio balls out and add live rock frags in that chamber instead? Would that help the nitrates?
Old 11/12/2006, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

I ended up buying an aquapod 12 deluxe. I got a great deal $76.46, and the stand for $35.66 from pet solutions. I couldn't pass that deal up.
Old 11/12/2006, 06:00 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

Re: Re: biocube 14 vs. aquapod 12

Quote:
Originally posted by ika
The NC12 original, is only good for fish, since it has a single 24w PC.
Thats not true at all. I kept corals and a BTA in one for over a year before the anemone outgrew it and I upgraded.