Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/02/2006, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

electric blue hermit VS aptasia ??

a few weeks ago i noticed a small colony of aptasia ( 5 or so ) on one of my pieces of LR. when i went to see if they were spreading a day later all of there tentacles were missing and they looked like they were on their way out. a week later or so they same thing happened. yesterday i was walking by my tank and noticed that my EB hermit was in the spot that the aptasia kept appearing. he was definitely munching on them because they are gone again.

anyone else with a similar experience??
Old 11/02/2006, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Location: western hemisphere, northern hemisphere, east coast, just south of mason-dixon
i've never heard of these hermits ( well i am new to this ) you get them off a web site?
Old 11/02/2006, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

i found one site but they are out of them nowhttp://www.etropicals.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=43&pCatId=1672
Old 11/03/2006, 06:03 AM
Premium Member

i've had this guy for years now, i got him at a local LFS.

don't go out and buy them based on my experience, this may be a freak of nature. everyone i have talked to has never heard anything like this before. i was just wondering if anyone else has had any similar experiences with them.
Old 11/03/2006, 05:38 PM
Will work for coral

my wife has some in her tank.. but theres no aptasia, nor was there any so i cant give you an answer.. but they are cool and get big!
Old 11/03/2006, 06:25 PM
Premium Member

yeah they are beasts but i only have 1 and they're really nice looking

here he is a about a year ago grabbing a quick snack. ( see how small the blue legs waiting in line look. it was funny the EBH kept rolling the blue legs away )

Old 11/03/2006, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Are they reef safe?
Old 11/03/2006, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

yes they are reef safe, just yahoo or google 'calcinus elegans' and you will find online stores with them. but again this is not normal behaviour and i haven't heard of any other incidents anywhere. this could just be a freak event.

i'm gonna grab my dads camera this weekend and see if i can get some pics
Old 11/03/2006, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

are they the same as a blue leg hermit or a blue knuckle they look just like them