Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/03/2006, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

OZONE...............

Anybody running ozone through their AquaC?

I have it plugged into my JG fitting in my EV-180 but I keep smelling ozone. The water outlet is running over carbon and the collection cup outlet has Carbon on it. I think its leaking from either the lid or the collection cup seals. has this happened to anybody else and is there a way to fix this?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 11/03/2006, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

tanya72806, I have both the regular and pro versions. The regular is using the Maxi1200 (this is the setup I have on the 33 cube).

I originally ran the pro on my cube with the Mag3, but the mag was so huge, it looked really ugly and took to much attention in my opinion, so I switched out to regular and hide it behind rock work. They both work really well. I actually love the maxi1200 on my Regular with 33 cube.... I keep a green carpet anenome as an indication of the water quality.

Hope this helps.

Also, wipe the inside of the collection cup bubble tube with your finger and get the slimmy stuff off, seems to work better when the tube is clean.
Old 11/03/2006, 11:21 AM
Premium Member

the ozone melted the fitting on my 180.
Old 11/03/2006, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Thanx I had it on a 55g w/ the rio pump and I wasnt impressed at all so I figured try the mag7 I plan on either seahorses and fish or anenome and clowns not sure yet
Old 11/03/2006, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

tanya72806, I have no idea about Sea Horses, but my 33 with anenome is working out thus far. I exchange a 1/2 gallon to gallon of water almost everyday to replace trace elements, calc, etc. I run a refugium on the back with chaeto. Roughly 60 LR, no deaths thus far. Xenia to Clowns to Green Carpet Haddoni all growing.

These shots are a few weeks old, but may give you an idea of what the AquaC is supporting (Maxi1200 on right). The green outlet at far back right is a Ehiem canister running ceramics and live rock rubble. Aquafuge hanging on back (hidden), you can see fuge outlet far back left.

GL

Last edited by fantastic4; 11/03/2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11/03/2006, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

I’m going to be setting up a new tank (120gallon) and I’ll be pulling my old aquaC EV150 out of storage to be my skimmer. Its been stored for about 2 years now. Should I be concerned about replacing anything since its been dry all this time? Also, have there been any mods made to this unit to optimize it? I run a Quiet One 3000 on it.

Thanks
Old 11/03/2006, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone run a ev180 on a 29 gallon. The reason I ask is because due to a move i had to sell off my 75 and will not have the room to set up another tank that size. I was thinking of doing an sps 29 gallon BB using the ev180. Yes I know it is over kill but will it have any negative effects on the system?
Old 11/03/2006, 05:13 PM
Grand High Puba

no, that would be great.
Old 11/03/2006, 05:27 PM
Tailspot Blenny

it's been a month, and my remora is loud, and hasn't produced a single tiny droplet of skimmate =( i hate it!

what can I do? the cup is all the way down.
Old 11/03/2006, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Kinetic, what pump are you using? What model is your Remora? Is it the HOB? If your not produicing anything I would exchange for anoutehr model through AquaC directly. Mine takes out thick nasty green stuff every 24 hours. Depends on how heavy I feed.
Old 11/03/2006, 06:38 PM
Tailspot Blenny

I have the AquaC Nano Remora with the MaxiJet 900.

I'll talk to AquaC directly. So pooped at this noisy machine =(
Old 11/03/2006, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Fold a bounty paper towel, wet it, and place it on top of the spray injector square box thingy. Place right on top and squeeze into sides. Middle and other opposite side square area should remain clear. Fold and place in such a way whereby your collection cup will still drop down just as it did before.

Now run your Remora with collection cup and listen.

As for nano, I have heard not such great news on it. Seems like it does not pull a lot out. Do a search in the nano area, I started a thread there on the nano remora review.
Old 11/03/2006, 07:30 PM
Tailspot Blenny

yeah i did the paper towel trick, it made it sound much quieter, but still very loud. it doesn't even start to compare with my tunze nano skimmer! that thing pulls skimmate and is completely quiet =(

maybe aquac will have a solution for me
Old 11/06/2006, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

i just got a new urchin in sump w/ a mj 1200. it is super quiet and it doe spull out nice skimmate. I ran it wet for the first week and now i have changed the level and i am getting a nice black foam.
Old 11/16/2006, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

Good Day Aqua C Club Experts

I have the Aqua C 120 with the recommended Mag 5 pump and I have been unimpressed by the Skim mate production. I have read most of the day and it seems the ticket to making this work is to have the Ehiem 1260 pump. Before I spend the additional dollars on a new pump I have an ocean runner 2500 from my Turbofloater Skimmer. I believe it needs a new impeller without a needle wheel. (can I purchase one and if so where might I try looking). Has anyone tried this route?

As always thanks

Dennis
Old 11/24/2006, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

i just recently bought an ev120 and right now am using it to cure my LR and i was reading the manual online and it said to start off open the air valve and drian valve all the way. so i did this and the foam just started pouring out off the collection cup. to get it so foam just dose not pour out i have to reduce the air to about 1/4 open. any help?
Old 11/29/2006, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

DO you have a JG fitting? If so make sure there is something attached to it so it is not just pulling in air.

Otherwise, this might be a break-in issue (not sure though). Did it go away after a few days?
Old 11/29/2006, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dpbort
Good Day Aqua C Club Experts

I have the Aqua C 120 with the recommended Mag 5 pump and I have been unimpressed by the Skim mate production. I have read most of the day and it seems the ticket to making this work is to have the Ehiem 1260 pump. Before I spend the additional dollars on a new pump I have an ocean runner 2500 from my Turbofloater Skimmer. I believe it needs a new impeller without a needle wheel. (can I purchase one and if so where might I try looking). Has anyone tried this route?

As always thanks

Dennis
I have a mag 5 on it, works for me
Old 11/29/2006, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rrodd89
i just recently bought an ev120 and right now am using it to cure my LR and i was reading the manual online and it said to start off open the air valve and drian valve all the way. so i did this and the foam just started pouring out off the collection cup. to get it so foam just dose not pour out i have to reduce the air to about 1/4 open. any help?
What pump are you using? what color is the foam?
Old 11/30/2006, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

I have installed the Ehiem 1260 and it seems to be doing a better job. Still trying to dial it in foam is a light green color. I think the best thing to do is adjust and waite a day.

thanks

Dennis
Old 12/05/2006, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

Ive got a Aqua C Remora Pro with a mag 3 pump, its been 4 months now and it pulls light tea colour skimmate, but its really loud! I just tryed the wet paper towel trick from a few posts ago, i was wondering if anyone else has any more ideas.
I don't have much experence with any other equipment, are neddle wheel driven skimmers as loud as this spray injection?
I keep the collection cup clean, could the noise be a simptom of other problems? should i clean out the entire skimmer? could something be busted from the factory?

thanks for any info

Aaron
Old 12/06/2006, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fatboy
Actually, AquaC considers the use of some bigger pumps in the Remora Pro and Urchin Pro.

Some quotes from Christine (by the way, great customer service):

"Some people do like to use more powerful pumps with the Remora Pro and this can lead to an increase in performance. We generally recommend using the Mag Drive 5 as an upgraded pump and this usually works really well for customers."

"Some customers do use the Mag Drive 7 with good results. This will not hurt the skimmer but you may get a great amount of watery foam which would be too much for the standard cup that comes with the skimmer to handle. We do offer a high rise collection cup for customers who use the Mag Drive 7 or an equally powerful pump."

"The total height of the high rise collection cup, including the riser tube, is 8" and the height of the cup itself is 5-3/4". There is a 30% increase when using the Mag Drive 7 compared to using the Mag Drive 5 and there is a 30% increase when using the Mag Drive 5 compared to using the Mag Drive 3. We can send you the high rise collection cup direct and it is $24.00 without the drain or $29.00 with the drain. "

"You can still use the high rise cup, just not the one with the drain fitting. The high rise collection cup is 2" taller than the standard cup so the total height would be 24" with the cup in the lowest position and 26" with the cup in the highest position."
This is what I did. I had the pro custom made so I can run it with my main pump. I also have the larger cup on the unit. Worked great on my 120. I like the aquaC so much that I just upgraded to a EV 240 and this would be my third time I have upgraded my skimmer and I went back each time.
So far the 240 is not working out as well but it has only been a week. Im running it with my Dart pump just like I ran my Pro. But the returns are turned down a lot with the EV 240 so it gets more pressure. Im starting to think that Im getting enough out of my Dart for this to run right. Can anyone help me out on this. Im also selling my Pro if anyone is interested. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=987334
Old 12/06/2006, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

I was looking at the panworld as well. You think a gen x 40 would work as well? I have one laying around my house.
Thanks
Old 12/06/2006, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

HEY...I am looking at buying a used ev-120 that doesnt have the airvalve on it. it will be used as a stand alone skimmer.

yes or no?

thanks.

tim
Old 12/07/2006, 07:17 PM
Premium Member

I've had my Remora Pro w/mag3 on my 40 Breede for about 9 months now, this was my first skimmer purchase and this is my first salt water tank, but I also have very mixed views on this skimmer.

I first had it hanging in the tank and the micro bubbles where crazy, I purchased the skimmer box and it helped a lot... Still getting tons of micro bubbles. I made a sump out of a 20L and moved it down there. I made a few baffles/fuge etc and the bubbles are now under control.

As far as the performance I have nothing else to compare it to, but I'd be willing to trade this skimmer in for pretty much anything

Positives:
-Easy to install
-Very little tweaking you have to do (or can do)
-Easy to clean
-Support from the manufacturer is incredible

Cons:
-Very loud
-Makes tons of bubbles
-Results very way to much (either people hate them or love them)
-Can not intergate ozone like other skimmers