Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/23/2006, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

Bangaii Babies

Last night as I was doing some tank maintenance. I noticed a some movement in the Anthelia. It was a Bangaii. I attempted to catch the male to put him in my frag/QT tank.

He got scared and spit them all out. I caught 28, I think. This morning there are 8 left. they were the biggest ones. I think it was too early for the rest to be spit out.

The 8 survivors are all eating frozen Cyclopeese and hiding in the spines of my urchin. They're very fun to watch.

Last edited by Fragmented; 10/23/2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10/23/2006, 05:07 PM
Moving Along

Hey thats exciting news!
If you decide to part with any, shoot me a buzz I might have a suitable home for a few

-Justin
Old 10/23/2006, 05:07 PM
espyesitis sufferer

Congrats, Rachelle! Hopefully, the remaining 8 will grow large enough for you to be able to find them good homes.
Old 10/23/2006, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Nice job Rachelle! That's cool that they're eating Cyclopeeze. Usually people need to hatch baby brine shrimp. Do you have to feed them multiple times per day?
Old 10/23/2006, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

I'll let you know how it goes.

Both parents eat Formula ONE and freeze dried Cyclopeeze as well as frozen food. I'm hoping they passed their nonpicky eating on to their kids.
Old 10/23/2006, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

That is very cool...
Old 10/23/2006, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

I feed them throughout the day. No schedule, just when I think of them or walk by.

I have bridal veil over the intake for my HOB filter. It catches the uneaten Cyclopeeze and I squirt it with a trukeybaster to redistribute it throughout the tank. I've added new food 3-4 times and squirted the bridal veil many times.

I just can't stay away from the little buggars---they're so cute.
Old 10/23/2006, 11:32 PM
Moved On

They're already eating Cyclop-eeze!?!?! Awesome.
Old 10/24/2006, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

Rachelle,
That is great news! From our experience, the babies are more adventuresome in their eating habits the first couple of days, but quickly get picky after a few days and will only really accept live foods for the most part. Hopefully you'll be luckier than us and they won't develop such refined tastes .
As for the being spit out too early, from what I've read in the breeder's forum... there really is no "too early" stage for them to be spit out. Can't remember who, but there is someone who is very successful hatching and raising the babies without the help of the male. Frank M. has gone so far as to suggest that the Male's are completely unecessary for the development of the eggs after fertilization (assuming you have a proper egg tumbler to incubate the eggs in).
Best of luck to you Rachelle and congratulations!

Arlan
Old 10/24/2006, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up Arlan. I had wanted to talk to you and Rian more after the meeting, but couldn't find you. Anything else I should watch out for?

I lost one yesterday that got stuck on an Acro in QT. It is out. I think there might be a big worm in the tank that has gotten one. Do you think this is possible? Maybe I should remove a rock. This morning I can only find 6, but they are happy to eat. Could be that one is hiding and I just don't see it. I'll look again when the lights come on. (I fed 3-4 times last night and there were still 7.)
Old 10/24/2006, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

Can you post a picture? Congratulations & good luck with the remaining little fellas - keep us posted!
Old 10/31/2006, 01:52 AM
Registered Member

At 8 days old, I can still find 6 of them. They're small and blend with everything really well in a 39 gallon tank. They're still eating frozen Cyclopeze.

Here's a picture of some of them hanging out with a purple urchin:

Old 10/31/2006, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

that is adorable!
Old 10/31/2006, 02:13 AM
Registered Member

And one more:

Old 10/31/2006, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

That is a great picture!

Congrats on the babies!
Old 10/31/2006, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the pics - they are just darling little guys!!