Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/25/2006, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

Finally took some pics this morning. You'll have to forgive the frogspawn, torch and leather. They were all just waking up and this was right after a water change.

Here's how the tank looked right after I set it up..

And here it is now.

Full tank and stand shot.

Shot of my plate corals (there is a tiny one on the upper rock which started to grow after the bigger one broke off).

Slightly closer on right side.

And left side.

You can see in the full tank shot and the above pic why I want to get a new reef ready tank. The overflows cast a shadow on the left side.

Sump.

Old 10/25/2006, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

the live rock has a tonne of life on it. I see so many different types of algea growth. I wish my tank looked as good as it did back when i took my pics.(first post). My best tank now is by far my 10 gallon as my 65 is covered in hair algae and i few corals have died because of it. Im probably going to break my 65 down into a few 10 gallons. I'll post some updated pics of my smaller tank soon. I'd do it now but i just moved a bunch of corals over from the 65 and i put in some old rock.
Old 10/25/2006, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

btw that is a huge frogspawn. nice work on that one.
Old 10/25/2006, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

I've been lucky enough to have no issues with hair algae, diatoms, etc. I do have a nice case of bubble algae but that just requires pruning every month or every two weeks when I do a water change, so no big deal. I do have lots of random chaeto and other macro algae so I hope that putting this stuff in early kept the hair algae at bay. Knock on wood of course.

Yeah that frogspawn I thought for sure was going to die a month ago after a rough move. I think he got a little hot and started bleaching on the base. He's recovered now and has a ton of buds on the base. He's a frag from my moms frogspawn which has since been fragged again. I got him with maybe 4 heads and he has 15 or so now. Same with the torch, just taking off. Almost time to frag both and sell. Now if I could only get zoas to grow the same way... (had a sundial snail take out all my zoas right before the move, including some nice blue ones).
Old 10/25/2006, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

ya my tank used to have a bunch of alright zoos but they got the white spec's and stared to disappear. That and i found a few sundial snails. Now everything from out side the tank gets a super dip. Something strong enough to push the limit just before it'd start killing the zoo's. Now i have a few quite nice zoo's in the smaller tank and they seem to be thriving. I think the key to them is water with a tade of nitrates and a lot of nutrients. my orange or as some would call them red zoo's have been taking off over the last week or so. Another thing i find that keeps the tanks in check is to keep fish out of them. My 10 gallon only has one fish in it (spotted mandarin) and i only put him in there to keep the flat worms in check.
Old 10/26/2006, 06:57 PM
Keena R.I.P

Thanks for the advice and the link. The t 5 thread is huge so it will take me a while to get through all of it but I think I'm going with a t 5 setup.
Old 10/26/2006, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

My 65

Here's my 65. It has been re-setup since mid-September. I had to move it to a different room in the house and I had a serious Bryopsis outbreak that I couldn't get rid of after months, so I went ahead and got cured LR from the LFS and just kept the fish (GSM, Blue Jaw, Bicolor Blenny and Lawnmower Blenny - unfortunately "Fu" the Mandarin didn't survive the transition) and my RBTA, Singularia and a couple of Ricordea 'shrooms. I've since got some Zoos leaning next to the overflow and a 4-branched Frogspawn, which you can't see in the back left corner on the SB. Tank seems to be doing well. I have some diatoms and little bit of algae that only seems to be growing on the Fiji LR and not the Marshall Is. stuff. Here are some Pics, sorry they're so small - using an 8 megapixel camera and I have to shrink the pictures considerably to upload to RC under 50k.

My plan is to put SPS on the LR on the right ride side and to cover the lower left with Zoos or maybe a clam on the sand bed. Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 10/27/2006, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

Looks very good! I think you need some more LR in there though (like me). Sump shot? What kind of lights are you using?

BTW, how are you shrinking down the images? Using photoshop or what? You should be able to have them a bit bigger than that and be under 50K.
Old 10/27/2006, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Here is my 65, still working on getting good pics

In the beginning

Here is a recent pic, glass/tank wasnt very clean

Here is one from the side, a bit blurry

Old 10/27/2006, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Rooroo,

Thanks for the comments. My lighting is a 6 bulb Tek Light. I'm using the Olympus Master software that came with my DSLR Evolt 300. When I take the photos, I use the SQ (standard quality) setting and these come out at about 200k. I just reduce the size of the image until they're under 50k, making the image smaller. I'm a novice digital photographer, so if you have any advice, I'd appreciate it. I will be putting a few more pieces of LR in the tank, but not much. The bad thing about the AGA reef ready 65 is the overflow being off-set on the left side. If it was in the corner, like they used to be, my rockscaping options would be much greater. Again, thanks for the comments, I'll experiment some more and see if I can get some larger, clear images under 50k to post.
Old 10/27/2006, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Deadmullet
Here is mine....of course i just ripped it apart but oh well, maybe i will take some more this weekend

Sweet tank. Do you use a calcium reactor? If so, which one?
Old 10/27/2006, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Here's some pictures of mine...Not as nice as the rest. But thought I would post it anyway.

Old 10/28/2006, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

That's a very nice 60 gallon 2625! Very clean looking and I like your aquascaping. You have a little valley going on. Very cool.
Old 10/28/2006, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

Okay, pics using Photobucket

I just uploaded a couple of pics today to Photobucket so I could post some larger images. I added about 7lbs of fully cured Marshall Island LR today and two fish. I'm scared to say what kind (Powder Brown and Sailfin Tangs) for fear of ridicule and ostracization (is that a word? and did I spell it right if it is?). Anyway, I think they'll be fine for awhile and then they go to a family member's 150.

There is an awesome 65 in the softie forum with a ton of fish, and 2 or 3 tangs I think. It looked awesome. That owner was upgrading to a larger tank in the future too, but his tank still looked great. Anyway, I plan on stocking the LR mountain with SPS and maybe a clam if I can find a good perch for it, with softies and LPS anywhere I have room at the bottom.
Old 10/28/2006, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefObsessor805
That's a very nice 60 gallon 2625! Very clean looking and I like your aquascaping. You have a little valley going on. Very cool.
Thanks ReefObsessor805!!
I've been slowly moving my stuff from my old tank to this one, So I don't think it will stay clean for very long. So far no problems..If you look up at the skimmer pump you'll see my flame hawk clillin. He just moved in This tank last week and is eating good and the corals seem to be comeing out.
Old 10/28/2006, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

here's mine, what do you think
Old 10/28/2006, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

Old 10/29/2006, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

Can I join the club?
Here are some pics of my 65 currently. I am planning to rearrange the rockwork very soon though.

It's bare bottom now but I'm thinking I'll put sand back in. I am VERY unhappy with the rockwork so I'll need some more pics of everyone's 65 for ideas
Old 10/29/2006, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

just took another pic tonight. Here is the photo i took back in august

And here is a pic just taken tonight. Things are coming along nicely.

since august i got rid of the RBTA. I added more sand and a pearly jawfish yesterday.

Last edited by JER-Z; 10/29/2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10/30/2006, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

You've got lots of rock to play with. I'm a big fan of 2/3 of the reef being a high piled mound and the other 1/3 having a vally and a smaller pile. Kind of like what Jer-z has done. Also cool is stacking the rockwork up high in most of the back and leaving a small valley towards the front, then a small pile in the front showcasing the nice small corals. It's all trial and error. Creating depth by having multiple piles in different locations seems to make a tank look bigger. I can't comment too much cause I lack the large amount of rock to do much aquascaping.
Old 10/30/2006, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

What's sad is that I have enough rock under my house and in the tank now to fill up at LEAST a 125G! LOL I wish i could afford the expenses that come along with a 125
Old 10/31/2006, 02:19 AM
Registered Member

Here is my 65 gal Hex tall. This tank is about 4 months old.

Old 10/31/2006, 09:00 AM
Premium Member

Nice rockwork!!
Old 10/31/2006, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
2639 Nice rockwork!!
Thanks,
Old 11/01/2006, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JonK
Is this enough lighting to keep most corals in a 65?

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...ode=SunlightT5

I'm still looking at my lighting options. I linked the 4 bulb fixture but I would go with the 6 bulb fixture.

Jon
I went with the 6 bulb Tek T5 light and I am very happy with it. The two ballasts give you some flexability.