Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/23/2006, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Market price for home grown clowns?

This is perhaps a politically incorrect question, but since I am thinking about the possibility of breeding clowns or teaching my kids for a little extra income for them on a hobby level. We want a general idea for Ocellaris, Percula and Onyx Clown fish.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by cweder; 10/23/2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10/23/2006, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

Colby´s question again !
Old 10/23/2006, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

I've already successfully bread 3 clowns.... my kids certainly qualify for that, but they are priceless. Thinking of trying a different type of clown this time.

[Colby?s] ....what are you trying to say .... your humor is lost on me unfortunatley... please explain if you could. I am sure it is very funny. Thanks
Old 10/23/2006, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, not trying to make fun of you.
This question has been around a couple of times and rendered a loooong thread when asked by Colby. Very worth reading !
I´ll make a search to bring some of these threads up.
Anderson.
Old 10/23/2006, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

This question has come up many times. If you read the previous flames you will understand the laughter.

You'd never make much profit on a small scale, but you should talk to your LFS and see if they would buy 100 or so Ocellaris a month and what they would pay. Let us know the price and their phone number! he he.
Old 10/23/2006, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

I kind of figured as much. You just have to get on the phone, make some contacts and go from there I guess. When I read on another thread of having $2000 sitting in a tank for a single batch of onyx it got my attention.
Old 10/23/2006, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

Here they are !

The most recent:
what are you getting money wise for your oscellaris?

The original Colby´s one:
How much do you get for your Black Ocellaris? Really worth reading !

I´m on the quest of finding the price I can sell them here as part of a buisness plan. So, really not trying to make fun of you !

Anderson.
Old 10/23/2006, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the links. Gotta love a guy like Colby
Old 10/23/2006, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

You might be very succesful pairing fish and selling as pairs or as actual spawning pairs (if they really are).

$100+ per pair is possible, you could mail order sell them on reefcentral.com in the selling forum.
Old 10/23/2006, 08:22 PM
Moved On

Well, 2K is a rhetorical figure really, more used to convince my SO that a 2nd larval rearing tank was really a good investment Could be 2k, but could just as easily end up being nothing, or 10k. I figured 200 juvies to a manageable size (maybe 3/4") at $10 each to LFS's (retail value on fish that size can go anywhere from $35-70 ea. for "Onyx" percs) - that's how I sold her on the 2nd tank.

Even just 200 fish is a daunting amount of fish to move in my spare time. And I don't intend to flood the local market with them either...as far as the shops see it'll be very limited availability, maybe a new batch comes up every 3-4 months.

CB Mandarins are nice, but I don't think any shop is going to pay $100 per fish for them, which at this point is probably what I'd want!

FWIW,

Matt
Old 10/25/2006, 06:54 AM
Moved On

Oh, I dont know. I would pay extra for a CB mandarin that eats something other than live food...Everybody loves mandarins. Showiest fish around.
Old 10/25/2006, 06:55 AM
Moved On

Here's an idea. Buy mandarins, train them to eat frozen, and sell them for twice as much! Wouldn't you rather have a mandarin that will live?
Old 10/25/2006, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

Cweder, get off my foot !!!! Here is the thing, I have already suturated the local market with ocellaris and travel as far as Inglewood to sell them. You are welcome to come over and check it ouit. If you want to breed it really makes no sense to raise ocellaris, unless of course you simply wish to compete or put me out of business for some reason I would encourage you to try another species, the percs would be an excellent choice. If you (or your kids) are successful and don't want to drive I could distribute them for you since I make weekly runs anyway.
Old 10/25/2006, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FishGuttz
You might be very succesful pairing fish and selling as pairs or as actual spawning pairs (if they really are).

$100+ per pair is possible, you could mail order sell them on reefcentral.com in the selling forum.

Unfortunately tank raised fish by hobby enthusiasts does not qualify as tank raised livestock on the RC selling forum. It is not allowed unfortunately. I know from first hand experience
Old 10/25/2006, 10:01 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jacob30
Unfortunately tank raised fish by hobby enthusiasts does not qualify as tank raised livestock on the RC selling forum. It is not allowed unfortunately. I know from first hand experience
REALLY? Sounds like BS to me - they may have pulled a post for some other reason. I know I had a skirmish of sorts with one of the mods on that forum. Captive Bred & Tank Raised is Tank Raised & Captive Bred no matter if it's done commercially or privately.

I'd say do the percs but you could have a long wait on your hands!

Matt
Old 10/25/2006, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

David M, that is a very generous offer. I will consider it. I don't see it happening as I am plenty busy already. I am looking into it though because it is very interesting and good information is available through forums like this to learn about it. I would'nt mind doing some experimental projects on rarer breeds though if theres a market for them. I'd like to corner the market on home grown Lyretail anthias or Gem Tangs.. who would'nt.. California Dreamin of course. Onyx percs and true percs sound more realistic with some limited pair offerings. With the work involved it seems like growing coral is much easier. I have a 450 gallon tank with 2x50 gallon chaeto refuges going right now and would'nt mind doing something different with them. Right now it has minimal coral and minimal fish. I'd be interested in working with you.
Old 10/27/2006, 09:33 PM
Moved On

i would PAY ALOT for a trained mandarin!
Old 10/28/2006, 01:35 AM
Moved On

geckotail, it's EASY to DIY, just start with healthy fish. There's instructions on how I do it in the first couple pages of the Mandarin Breeding Log

Trained Mandarins - I could see if I had one of those CUBE setups and access to healthy imports how selling mated pairs of mandarins trained on frozen foods could be QUITE profitable! It's all an issue of space that I simply don't have - you'll all have to settle for CB 1/2" babies instead - I'm GONNA crack it any year now!

Matt
Old 10/28/2006, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jacob30
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLY? Sounds like BS to me - they may have pulled a post for some other reason. I know I had a skirmish of sorts with one of the mods on that forum. Captive Bred & Tank Raised is Tank Raised & Captive Bred no matter if it's done commercially or privately.

I'd say do the percs but you could have a long wait on your hands!

Matt

I am totally confused by this, I thought "tank raised fish by hobbyists" is what IS allowed and commercial breeders are not ???
Old 10/28/2006, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Yeah me to that's why I posted there but it was quickly yanked. I am just a guy with a garage breeding setup.

It is a shame that RC does not alow this from hobbyists. For one I am a non-profit entity. For two it helps keep wild fish wild. I do not see the distinction between the coral propagationists and what we do.

FMarini please give us your 2 cents on this.
Old 10/29/2006, 02:05 PM
Hog Obsessed

If you are breeding and raising fish for the sole purpose of making money then you are beyond hobbyist.
Old 10/29/2006, 02:12 PM
Moved On

No one in their right mind would do this solely for money. If so, they have not figured in the time spent. It is not worth it if only for money.
Old 11/17/2006, 12:13 AM
Moved On

Lol...just found this thread...

After several months of working at an lfs and a bit of market research I would like to say to cweder and anyone else interested that orange Ocellaris are THE way to go...everybody and their sister waants a friggen nemo lol...

Most good smallish lfs will have no prob moving 50 plus a month and are willing to pay fair amounts for locally cb fish...
Old 11/17/2006, 08:21 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by colby
Lol...just found this thread...
Most good smallish lfs will have no prob moving 50 plus a month ...
I have not found this to be true. Despite the incredible beauty of my fish...
Old 11/17/2006, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

In New York City a tank full of Ocellaris (50+) is gone in 3-5 days! Of course they buy from ORA. I'm not even sure if people who buy them put them in Marine tanks!