Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/24/2006, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Flex PVC

I am looking at making a closed loop system for my tank, since i am tired of seeing the Powerheads in the tank. However, I know that due to my plans there will likely be one, two, maybe even 3 90 degree turns and I dont want to stress my heads out too much. With that in mind, has anyone used Flex PVC and to what results?

Is it just Flexible PVC (i.e. Carlon Flextube) or is it the corrugated ENT tubing? Also is there any fears to deterioration with the salt water? Also can you use PVC glue with it, or do you have to do some other mumbo jumbo to make the connections watertight.
Old 10/24/2006, 08:30 PM
Teeam Gary!

I just got parts including flex PVC through the savko.com site. The true union ball valves are way cheaper than any place we looked in town. I also got the pvc gate valves for better flow control. Set up a user account with them before you start putting things in the shopping basket.
The tubing is great. You can see it at Home Depot (spa flex) to get an idea what it looks like but it is way cheaper through savko (1.09 per foot for 1.5 inch) even after shipping. From what I read, the flex pipe results in less noise.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you can get rid of him for a whole weekend.
Old 10/24/2006, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

is there any chance that this stuff would work as well...I can get it for fairly cheap, but am somewhat hesitant about putting it in my tank.

http://www.carlon.com/Master%20Catal...x_Brochure.pdf
Old 10/25/2006, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

I used "Spa-Flex" from Home Depot, and long radius 90's from a local comercial plumbing supplier. The Carlon stuff is the same, except it's gray. I used the Christy's brand blue glue from H.D. as well.

Old 10/25/2006, 10:56 AM
Premium Member

FWIW, normal PVC glue wil work, for a shorter duration then the stuff made for flexible PVC glue. The proper glue is less stif then then normal PVC, allowing the joint to expand/contract. The normal stuff is more rigid, and over time, seperates from the flexible PVC and at some point....POP...lotsa water to deal with

Yup, this has happenned to me
Old 10/25/2006, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GreshamH
FWIW, normal PVC glue wil work, for a shorter duration then the stuff made for flexible PVC glue. The proper glue is less stif then then normal PVC, allowing the joint to expand/contract. The normal stuff is more rigid, and over time, seperates from the flexible PVC and at some point....POP...lotsa water to deal with

Yup, this has happenned to me
And here I thought all PVC glue was the same... Good to know
Old 11/05/2006, 11:52 AM
Buttfish Pioneer

I don't know, i've heard the same with the flexpvc glue (people have had problems.)

I just used Christies Red Hot Blue Glue and regular purple primer, but I put an enormous excess of everything. It seems to have some flexibility. I have heard of people being successful and unsuccessful both ways with the flex pvc.

Be careful with SAVKO, I got a letter from them about their website having been unsecure and some stuff got leaked. This following some fraudulent activity on my credit card. I will no longer be shopping there.

-A
Old 11/05/2006, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Newreeflady
I don't know, i've heard the same with the flexpvc glue (people have had problems.)
Most problems can be traced to inexperienced end users in those cases, i.e. lack of prep, debris, etc. The largest user of the Spa Flex is well, spas. Spa installers don't puddle up glue, nor do they use anything but the glue specified by the manufacturer. That being said, I have had 1 glue joint fail using the proper glue. The problem I found was due to burrs on the male end of the joint. I was in a hurry and didn't follow my training, I never deburred it all the way.
Old 11/05/2006, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

As I built my tank I used the clear vinyl and barbed fittings with the intention of a more permanent setup eventually, possibly hardlined, when all the mechanicals where added and in there final orientation. I would rather use flex, but hadn't seen this stuff where is it located in HD? Is the Spa flex the same O.D. as typical sch 40? I assume that because you used the long radius 90s reefgeek, that it is. Just curious about the fit of the joints and if the Spa flex is made for those fittings or if there are "Spa-flex" fittings to go with the pipe. Glad you guys are talking about this!!!
Old 11/05/2006, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sacramentodots
As I built my tank I used the clear vinyl and barbed fittings with the intention of a more permanent setup eventually, possibly hardlined, when all the mechanicals where added and in there final orientation. I would rather use flex, but hadn't seen this stuff where is it located in HD?

Just ask for Spa Flex at HD, it isn't in the plumbing isle but about three isles down toward the electrical isle.

Is the Spa flex the same O.D. as typical sch 40? I assume that because you used the long radius 90s reefgeek, that it is. Just curious about the fit of the joints and if the Spa flex is made for those fittings or if there are "Spa-flex" fittings to go with the pipe.
Spa flex uses the same fittings as regular schedule 40, great stuff. I have noticed that it seems to need more cleaning that regular schedule 40 and you need to hold it in place a little longer to prevent it from starting to back out of the fitting. I also advise using the special Spa-Flex glue, I wouldn't take a chance of it popping loose.
Old 11/05/2006, 08:53 PM
Moved On

I had never heard of flex PVC joints failing like this. 8O Off to check a few crucial plumbing jobs next visits I make.
Old 11/08/2006, 07:19 PM
Chief Cat Herder

Anyone besides me using conduit (gray) PVC?

It is designed for outdoor use and has large radius turns so molex can be threaded through it. It isn't rated to carry human consumable liquids like sched 40/80 so there could be leaching problems.