Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/20/2006, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

Question about getting rid of Aptasia?

I have had aptasia in my tank for around 2 years now and they only seem to get worse. Finally around 2 months ago I bought some Joe's Juice. This works better than anything I have tried. In the past I used vinegar. I shoot it into the aptasia and then they do seem to go away but then in a couple weeks they all start coming back slowly so it never seems to get rid of them but as well it at least knocks them back for awhile so they don't get out of control. This is at least better than what I had at first and as I said I used vinegar earlier.

Now my question, how can I finally get rid of them for good? Is there any other type of solution or way of using Joe's Juice. I have heard that another way is to add a certain type of fish or even add Peppermint shrimp. Should I look at either of these two options? Are there any side affects to using a certain type of fish (what type is it?) or peppermint shrimp and after the problem is gone would I have to get rid of the fish or shrimp?
I've had this tank about 4 years and for coral only have blue mushrooms. I have a lot of live rock and for fish I have one false Percula clownfish, a Royal Gramma, a sailfin tang, and a Yellow Tang. Thanks for any help.
Old 10/20/2006, 12:24 PM
Wish I had more tank time

Location: Yucaipa, California (some little town you've never heard of)
I personally have had good luck with my two peppermint shrimp. Zero aptasia since about a week after adding them. they also eat mysis and pretty much any food I feed the tank. So no worries about them starving after the Aptasia are gone.

Now the disclaimer, not everyone has had good luck with peppermints. It might depend on what else you have in the tank.

Good luck,
Keith

Superman owns Chuck Norris Pajamas!!
Old 10/20/2006, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

I've tried peppermint shrimp with no luck. About 3 weeks ago I added 2 super small berghia nudis. Granted I've only seen the berghia once since then, but I did notice some of the aiptasia dissapearing.

If these two didn't work, my next option would have been:

Old 10/20/2006, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

I have heard that copperband butterfly's will eat the heck out of some aiptasia. But I have also heard that they are sometimes prone to nip on other corals- stony in particuar. I have not had one though.
Old 10/20/2006, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

I bought this stuff called Stop aptasia that worked really well. You could see the aptasia melt away. The thing is to find the mother. I killed like 5 smalls ones then lifted up the rock they were on to check underneath. Thats when I found the huge mother that scared the hell out of me. Got her and haven't seen any since.
Old 10/20/2006, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

I had some in my tank and put in two pepper mint shrimps... it was gone it about 2 days.
Old 10/21/2006, 02:31 AM
Registered Member

If I get peppermint shrimp or a copperband butterfly though are there any side affects? The only coral I have is the mushrooms and I may get an anemone later but would I be able to keep either of the above or would I have to get rid of them?
Old 10/21/2006, 07:35 AM
Registered Member

My copperbanded butterfly completely rid my tank of aptasia, and quickly. But he did pick at my clam mantles and feather dusters. Other than that, it is a model citizen.
Old 10/21/2006, 10:02 AM
Wish I had more tank time

Location: Yucaipa, California (some little town you've never heard of)
My peppermints have never picked at any corals or anything. Model citizens!!

Keith

Superman owns Chuck Norris Pajamas!!
Old 10/21/2006, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

Peppermint shrimp worked within one night for me, about 4 aptasia gone in the morning