Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/18/2006, 01:26 AM
Moved On

what's up with our LFs here in Sactown?

I was just doing my fishstoring last weekend....
Went down to the town's bigo expensive and little cross the street store, guess what.
Same old stock, different day: just like the week before. ***?

Okay, I guess I just went back to the south with the big parking lots in order to avoid door dings. Wow, guess what I found...
A Bigo red carpet!! I mean this thing is huge.. and its not open up all the way yet.
Okay, I want it and I want it now whatever the price is. Went up the front counter and asked for help to bag it up.

Here is the best part:

Me: Hi, I like to get the red carpet u have back there, but I couldn't find the price tag for it, so how much?

Clerk: Sorry sir, that carpet is not for sale.

Me: Are you sure? Well, I am willing to pay for it... just bag it up and put it on my AE, it can't be $2000 right?

Clerk: I am so sorry, but its not for sale.

Me: What do you mean not for sale, Let me speak to your MGR.ok?

Then here comes this same guy with glasses acting all friendly and stuff.

Me: I would like to purchase the big red carpet you have back there and your clerk said not for sale, whats going on.

Mgr: Yes, thats a rare piece and we like to display it and show it to kids and customers, not for sale this moment.

Me: Thats mean you will sale it sometime soon right? I am willing to pay for your asking price now, you can always order another one to show your customer, well I am your customer today.

He just repeating the same BS over again......not for sale.
I just think their service just as bad as the old one.

I just think all the local stores sucks! Really sucks.
Most of them have nothing to sale or nothing for sale.
Just need to vent after wasting all the gas driving around.
Old 10/18/2006, 01:33 AM
Premium Member

Yeah, I don't get the whole...don't sell stuff if your in business to sell stuff.....it aint a zoo or public aquarium.....

Sounded like your were the person with the cash that wanted it bad enough that would have paid top dollar for it....that just doesn't make sense, because not only did they not make a sale, but the made a customer mad......one or the other is bad enough much less both........maybe it was already spoken for by one of the employees or another customer.......regardless, I am sure they aren't "that" rare.

I am willing to bet, if you want one bad enough Yourreef can find one for you. I am finding out what is "rare" in Sactown is dime a dozen in L.A.
Old 10/18/2006, 02:23 AM
Moving Along

I understand your frustration, Ive encountered the same situation at every store that's ever been in Sacramento county for the past 5 years.

But what my insatiable desire doesnt stop and think about is, when a customer walks into a salt store, they expect product and assurance in some form. How assured will you feel walking into a store when there display tank has been stripped except a few odds and ends. You may ask yourself, are they not able to keep exotic critters in there system?Are they getting stuff that will just die within a week or two?Or, can they not keep exotic critters becuase there just too dumb? All of these negatives can effect you/me/or someone else as a repeat customer.
You may say well, there here to sell not display, but then that would also make me wonder if it's because they dont have the knowledge? Unhealthy stock?etc.

Lastly, these displays are marketing as well as educational, and something to entertain the onlookers. Many people getting in the hobby have no idea what a working system can look like and can be a point of reference to there own ideas. As well as being that "hook" for people that wouldve never thought to get into the hobby till they saw there first full blown setup with all it's glory, like myself

Not saying anyone is right or wrong, just another possible side to the coin

-Justin
Old 10/18/2006, 03:24 AM
Registered Member

so where are some good LFS in sac? I'm from the davis area and there's nothing in davis. believe me.
Old 10/18/2006, 08:40 AM
I'm all wet!

its the stores decision if they want to keep the things they have in stock. If they wanted to sell it, there would be a price tag on it.

Why give the manager a hard time about it and then come on here and slam them and say there service is bad???

also justin nailed it, Some places like to keep beautiful and rare peices to show people in the hobby what is out there....

Sheesh.......

Its Only $100 Dollars dear....
Old 10/18/2006, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

My thoughts:
If you don't want to sell me what I want to buy, don't expect me to settle for your tank full of "brownies".
I've picked up some of my best livestock from other reefers, not the LFS. Hooray Frag Swaps!
Old 10/18/2006, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

FYI............
Exotic no longer gives the MARS 10% discount.
Old 10/18/2006, 11:00 AM
Moving Along

Quote:
Originally posted by Photon
FYI............
Exotic no longer gives the MARS 10% discount.
Honestly, I dont blame them

-Justin
Old 10/18/2006, 11:24 AM
Premium Member

?
Old 10/18/2006, 11:54 AM
Moving Along

Let me clarify, If I was a store owner and time and time again I was getting bashed in some form or another on a club forum, I'd be like
"pfft,okay, whatever.." Even though its not the club saying it, and its locals its happening on our page. Guilty by association.

It's unfortunate, but understandable.

-Justin
Old 10/18/2006, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Yeah sacramentodots, you are precisely correct. The stuff they have in Sac. stores is "a dime a dozen" in L.A. I've seen people trying to get $80 to $100 for a single purple based Yuma, and I've got a whole rock full of the same for $40 in L.A. I agree that most stores in N. Cal. and Sac. in particular SUCK! And I am always amazed at how stores "cherry-pick" the best for their own tanks and leave crap for customers. I think that I'd be fairly naive to believe that some stores are holding back for the public and kids. Again, I've rarley encountered a store in L.A. that will not part with something. In fact, I don't recall a good reef store ever having a problem with maintaining a good display tank and keeping the same or similar stock for their customers. It's simply good business. Let me tell you, for those of you who haven't been exposed to quality reef stores located near the import hub, the stores up here don't even come close! I'm with you Rich, I'll continue to rely on fellow reefers.
Old 10/18/2006, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

I don't know about Sac but in the BA, most fish store will sell what you want to buy. Some stores like to grow out their stuff before selling it. Some of the stuff are hard to get so they have to grow it out before selling it. I don't think it's fair to say most stores in N. Cal are suck.
Old 10/18/2006, 12:15 PM
I'm all wet!

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin74
Honestly, I dont blame them

-Justin
Yeah well after just opening and having people constantly bash you, I'm not surprised by it either.

Its Only $100 Dollars dear....
Old 10/18/2006, 12:17 PM
><

there are a few good stores here in Sac. Not all store falls under the category "SUCK". Indeed the LA area gets the good stuff and a few owner up here makes drive to LA to aquire their livestock.

Fat Happy Trigger = New Frag Daily
Old 10/18/2006, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Honestly, 10% (or 20% for that matter) isn't going to make or break a sale if I'm intent on buying something, but it isn't going to cut into the profit margin for the store either. It's merely a good faith effort on both parties to create a relationship of continued support. Usually I can get something shipped from Marine Depot, have it in a couple days, and still save money over retail.

As far as keeping the "good stuff" in a N.F.S. tank and selling the crap bugs me slightly, but no one is forcing me to shop there. Bagging on a LFS on the internet does no one any good. If you don't like the store, don't shop there and they'll learn the hard way.
Old 10/18/2006, 12:56 PM
espyesitis sufferer

Personally, I couldn't bash a LFS for what occured. Red carpets are hard to come by, and sometimes, it's not just about the money. I'd equate it to Atlantis not wanting to part with their color teardrops. Completely understandable.

One analogy that came to mind were those new Toyota FJ's. If a dealership ran out, I wouldn't make repeated requests to sell me the one in their parking lot that the manager bought for himself.

Also, I don't think it's fair to compare N. Cal stores to S. Cal stores. Especially, when everything practically trickles through there first. Even though livestock might be 'a dime a dozen', the demand and aquarist culture is still incredibly strong there. We're not too far behind. We just don't have the luxury of being a prime location for importing.
Old 10/18/2006, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

It's not a question of fair or not, it's simply my frame of reference. I think that Rich is right. We simply need to vote with our dollar....the "invisible hand" will regulate the market in time. I guess the generalization I made earlier isn't completely accurate (you Northern Californians are so defensive - LOL!!!). John's place is a good example of a store that heads in the right direction, in my opinion.
Old 10/18/2006, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

I just stop by the new exotic and they are closed down
Old 10/18/2006, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wee-Reef Master
Yeah sacramentodots, you are precisely correct. The stuff they have in Sac. stores is "a dime a dozen" in L.A. I've seen people trying to get $80 to $100 for a single purple based Yuma, and I've got a whole rock full of the same for $40 in L.A. I agree that most stores in N. Cal. and Sac. in particular SUCK! And I am always amazed at how stores "cherry-pick" the best for their own tanks and leave crap for customers. I think that I'd be fairly naive to believe that some stores are holding back for the public and kids. Again, I've rarley encountered a store in L.A. that will not part with something. In fact, I don't recall a good reef store ever having a problem with maintaining a good display tank and keeping the same or similar stock for their customers. It's simply good business. Let me tell you, for those of you who haven't been exposed to quality reef stores located near the import hub, the stores up here don't even come close! I'm with you Rich, I'll continue to rely on fellow reefers.
The guys down south say the same darn thing. They think the Bay Area has all the good stuff.

Oh yeah, Tat's has a NFS display tank with good stuff. Tong's has a NFS display tank. I'm not sure about Hugo. Fragfarmer has two incredible NFS tanks. I know I asked.

Eric frags regularly from his display tank, but if there are none available, then there are none available. Eric has several corals he doesn't sell.
Old 10/18/2006, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

I was just looking at it from a supply and demand kinda thing.....

I personally like the colorful stuff, which usually is the rare and is not very common, hence the "dime a dozen stuff"comment.

I think Atlantis is in a different category compared to this instance because there isn't much of a "rare" market at the LFS's, so when something does come in it raises a stir of excitement.....whereas Atlantis has plenty of top shelf and rare pieces and can afford to not to sell a certain piece...since they offer the others....but when the store has only one "collectable" piece such as this instance, can be frustrating.......thats where I was comming from.....If they have a number of pieces and keep the one....hence O st bubble and clowns, it really won't make a difference to me because I could get another bubble there.....its not the only one around.

Yes, having a display tank is a valuable asset, but if you don't carry what your displaying.....I think its a tad on the side of false advertisement. But I also know that Ming frags a great majority of whats in his......

I equate it to a car dealership having a Mustang in the window, but selling Pintos only. Or having a reeftank and only selling goldfish.....

But in the end......I am only trying to help them by telling them what I as a customer want..........and I am known to spend $200-$300 at a time.......did they want some of that? I can't give it to them unless they sell me the stuff......

And I also understand Johns NFS stuff he has....they are small frags he plans to grow out and then frag off eventually which I can completly understand and would expect from a business point of view, and I also know that Ming frags a great majority of whats in his display.............but carpet anenome, which usually have a dimal track record in captivity....?

Did they not offer to order you one? I would have....

Thats just my take on it.....when I worked in retail customer service was stressed over everything and we bent over backwards for them and have high standards......because today competition is even more fierce than ever.

Last edited by dots; 10/18/2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10/18/2006, 06:55 PM
espyesitis sufferer

Soon as John (YourReef) gets his 300g running, he'll be growing out those rare corals in his NFS frag section. Eventually, becoming like Eric's and Ming's store
Old 10/18/2006, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

Yeah Karl that was my point.....they won't be for lookie lookie only...but be the advertisement the others were speaking of.....and understand him not wanting to sell them at this time.....I am stingy with my stubby sticky right now....
Old 10/18/2006, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

I hear ya. A lot of your Sacto stores don't order brownies. They make them.
Old 10/18/2006, 11:29 PM