Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/06/2006, 11:37 AM
Moved On

tek vs retro t-5 set ups...

I can get a good deal on a tek t-5 8 lamp set up...
I can also get a good deal on a retro set up...

So what would yield better results the tek t-5 set up or a retro with really good relectors?

I am posting in here, cause I plan on keeping mostly sps...
Old 10/06/2006, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Lots of threads on this if you do a search.

Its been proven time and again that IceCap SLRs are superior to SLS's Tek reflectors. Also, using Ice Cap ballasts to overdrive T5s will yield substantially more light. If you overdrive, be sure to have a fan blow over the bulbs lengthwise to vent off the excess heat.

If you go with Ice Cap SLRs you might want to move quickly as SLS is going after Ice Cap with legal action right now. See here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=942645

James
Old 10/06/2006, 12:32 PM
Mortar Target

My guess is that the benefit of the Tek fixture is that it's plug and play and that an acrylic splash shield will help to prevent salt spray from getting on the lamps and reflectors. My acrylic shields have warped from the heat, which means that the heat is probably staying inside the fixture. Either way you go, you will have to deal with some sort of an issue or another.
Old 10/06/2006, 12:50 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by old salty
My guess is that the benefit of the Tek fixture is that it's plug and play and that an acrylic splash shield will help to prevent salt spray from getting on the lamps and reflectors. My acrylic shields have warped from the heat, which means that the heat is probably staying inside the fixture. Either way you go, you will have to deal with some sort of an issue or another.
That is my thinking on the plug and play aspect but I do not want to get something for its convience only to have an inferior product...The different in prices between the set ups with bulbs is roughly 100 bucks....

So that is why I am asking.
Old 10/06/2006, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

I have teklight and I put in a glass shield but took it off when I noticed that my expensive bulbs were getting so hot that they were blackening.

James
Old 10/06/2006, 01:12 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jamesdawson
I have teklight and I put in a glass shield but took it off when I noticed that my expensive bulbs were getting so hot that they were blackening.

James
What do you think of it?

Can you give me some more details? Like what lights you have? what you are keeping in the tank? and the general area you are keeping the livstock at in relation to the location of the fixture?

thanks...
Old 10/06/2006, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

I put my Tek fix 5 inches above the surface and pull out the shield...actually i never even bought a shield...the sheild cuts down on light but i have it 5 " up instead of 2 or 3 so it evens out...however....i get some water and salt spray and my reflectors get a little splotchy..i clean them about once a month....but some of the markings and splotches dont come off...i think i can take it apart and turn the reflectors over though after a while.....

How deep is your tank? What do you want to keep? I dont see the need to overdrive the bulbs as my non overdriven tek fix is giving me a plenty of light...and its definitely not inferior to the retro IMO... i keep a crocea at the bottom of my tank...and i start out my acros at the bottom and a couple i have left there...they both colored up nicely.
Old 10/06/2006, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

Only problem with Sunlight supply is they have **** customer service. If you want elabortaion go to the SLS forumn and look at the thread that i started....i am an easy going person and boy did they f##$#ing p##$ me off. Their customer service is **** and the people have a ratio of 1:3 meaning for every 4 people 3 are *******s and 1 is nice and helpful or at least to the extent they can be....

if your product is older than 30 days and turns out defective they dont offer a warranty and the only way they will work with you is if you send them your fixture....go in the SLS forumn if you want elaboration....if you have q's dont forget to ask them in the "sticky" otherwise Sam from SLS will crucify you!
Old 10/06/2006, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

I'd go with the retro's. Don't get me wrong, both are banging setups but I think the potential lies in the retros because you can upgrade the ballasts, reflectors, and bulbs with ease. If you order 4 bulbs and realize its not enough, and space permits, throw two more bulbs in. Now if you get the fixture and you have a shortage of bulbs, what are you going to do? I have 4*54 t5ho normally driven on a 60gal tall, 23" and my brain and shrooms can't stand to be on the sandbed with direct light.
Old 10/06/2006, 02:28 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by iamquockie
I'd go with the retro's. Don't get me wrong, both are banging setups but I think the potential lies in the retros because you can upgrade the ballasts, reflectors, and bulbs with ease. If you order 4 bulbs and realize its not enough, and space permits, throw two more bulbs in. Now if you get the fixture and you have a shortage of bulbs, what are you going to do? I have 4*54 t5ho normally driven on a 60gal tall, 23" and my brain and shrooms can't stand to be on the sandbed with direct light.
Well the one I am looking at is the 8 lamp set up....

and to someone else who asked my tank is 22" tall...
Old 10/06/2006, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

talk to the grim reefer
Old 10/06/2006, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

The problem with the tek is that SLS reflectors stain easily and won't clean off. Don't forget, T-5s should be kept as close to the surface of the water as feasible to maximize light. Once they get splashed/sprayed, they are forever compromised.
In a tank thats not to deep (20" or so) a teklight will work but SLS has some serious problems with basic customer service and warranty support. For instance, they will not replace stained reflectors and I can say this from firsthand experience.

If you already have a canopy or are willing to buy one or build one then thats all the reason you need to go retro for all the reasons that iamoquockie said.

James
Old 10/06/2006, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

I love my Tek fixture, but if I had a canopy and could use retro's I would, it's just easier to customize what you want. In a retro'd canopy you could alwasy add / subtract tubes, add a halide, add a VHO actnic, anything you want.

btw there are some par tests in the lighting forum on the tek shield, it really only reduces par like 2%...

PW
Old 10/06/2006, 04:34 PM
Moved On

Another thing I worry about is the none water proof end caps...any issues?
Old 10/06/2006, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Clouded
Another thing I worry about is the none water proof end caps...any issues?
Its an issue if you ever get water in them.

James
Old 10/06/2006, 05:05 PM
RainbowAcro

Reefgeek will install the IceCap reflectors and ballast, in the Tek light for you. Best of both worlds. I don't think it is on the web site, so call them.
Old 10/06/2006, 05:14 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Qwiv
Reefgeek will install the IceCap reflectors and ballast, in the Tek light for you. Best of both worlds. I don't think it is on the web site, so call them.
Well that will not work...I am getting the tek fixture for 270 brand new...that is the only reason I am even considering the tek fixture...

but it sounds like, the tek fixture has to many problems...with the reflectors staining and the none water proof end caps...
Old 10/06/2006, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Do some research I think most end caps are water resistant not proof.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 10/06/2006, 05:34 PM
Mortar Target

Quote:
Originally posted by Patio
Do some research I think most end caps are water resistant not proof.

Correct me if I am wrong.
You are correct; water resistant not proof.