Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/02/2006, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

I hate Mantis shrimp. Warning!!! Long post of me venting.

I do believe I have a Mantis shrimp in my tank. I was watching one of my mated pair of Coral Banded shrimp, because this is the first day he has been out and about in the tank during the day. I got them about 2 weeks ago, but I have only seen one of them. So any ways, I was watching this shrimp check out his surrounding, and I walked away for a while. 10 minutes later I came back to find my new coral banded shrimp ripped limb from limb. Just a pile of coral banded shrimp parts. About all that was left was the 2 big pinchers and a portion of his head. Since day one of this tank I have suspected that something was terrorizing my tank. My first snail/hermit pack I got, I went through 100 hermits in a week flat with allot of broken snail shells also. He has also killed off about 20 blue green Chromis, and I bet about $200 of other fish that mysteriously died. I have tried allot of thing to catch him, but never really knew where to put the trap. I have fresh water dipped almost all of the rocks in the tank, put out traps, you name it. I now know generally where he is at though.

When I get done, anyone want a dead Mantis shrimp to put on top of your tank? Sorry for the long post, I am just ****ed at myself for not relentlessly hunting this guy down in the past, and now that I think of it, if this is a mantis shrimp, the little ba@$*rd has had allot of overly expensive meals. Anyway sorry for the vent, look at this picture to remind yourself that there are crazy things in the reef along with all its beauty.

Old 10/02/2006, 12:57 AM
Turning of the tide

good luck. it must be a big dude. Keep an eye out at dawn / dusk (especially soon after the lights go out) this is when they are most prone to be active. it is common for them to use bits of thier kill (specifically shell fragments) and small rocks to shore up their homes, keep an eye out for anything irregular. Hopefully you can narrow it down to a specific rock.

another technique is to try spot feeding him - holding bait (something stinky like a silverside chunk) on a feeding stick right up near suspected cubbies so he doesn't have to actually leave his den to reach it. then pull out the rock he is in once he shows himself. If you leave the stick in there with the bait overnight or for even just a few hours he will become used to it - eventually you will see him.
Old 10/02/2006, 01:01 AM
Premium Member

they are why I am considering using mainly base rock and a limited amount of LR in our next tank.
Old 10/02/2006, 01:11 AM
Premium Member

I know your pain. I got my original live rock from TB Saltwater. I wound up catching count them 4 mantis shrimp. Their taunting clicking etc drove me to the point of insanity.

Have you actually seen him in the tank? The clicking sound is a dead give away though it could also be a pistol shrimp.

I trapped one with a inverted coke bottle. I cut off the top and reversed it into the remaining part of the bottle and put a piece of prawn in the bottle.

The others were a little trickier. As they get comfortable, they start to venture out. I carfully watched them and where they returned in the rockwork. Typically they will establish a lair in a hole in the live rock.

If you know generally where he is here is my suggestion. FW dip the rock. Take the rock out after dipping it and put it on a piece of cardboard or in a foam cooler. Use a turkey baster and squirt fresh water into his hole. The little bastard will come out at some point I guarantee it.

If all else fails I would pitch the live rock. Replacing the live rock is a small price to pay for the safety of your tank and your sanity.
Old 10/02/2006, 01:47 AM
Moved On

From what I've heard LR from TB are very prone to having mantis. In fact out of 4 people I know who have TB rocks have all have a mantis in their tanks.

Just FYI...

D.
Old 10/02/2006, 01:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkss
they are why I am considering using mainly base rock and a limited amount of LR in our next tank.
Yea my first batch of rocks, about 45 pound worth, was fresh, and when I mean fresh, the local fish store had not even unpacked it yet. Back then I did not know about cureing, and cycled my tank with this rock. Since then I buy base rock, and cure the living hell out of it for months on end.

As for what Seminolecpa said. I have never seen this guy. I think tommarow I am going to remove all the rock in my tank that does not have corals on them, and dip them over night. I may loose some small fether duster, and sponges, but I am pretty much done dealling with what ever this is in my tank.

I also hear another good way (if you have an extra tank) is to raise the rock up on PVC pedistols (on a bare bottom tank) and put something tasty in one of the corners near the rock. The Shrimp is bound to get hungry and go after the food, and oppps he cann't get to his rock after he goes down on the bare bottom. I guess they cannt grip the PVC? Also it would be easier to spot them this way.
Old 10/02/2006, 02:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkss
Also the funny thing is, in a good maintained tank that base rock will be full of coaline in about 3 months. My next tank is getting no live sand, and base rock cured in fresh water for about 3-4 months. I will seed the tank with water from my current tank.
Old 10/02/2006, 04:17 AM
joke killer

I don't thijnk the PVC thing would work with a mantis. It would probab;y work well with crabs though.
Old 10/02/2006, 07:56 AM
Resident physicist.

Yikes that sucks.

You can probably use a water bottle with a big stinky piece of silverside in it as a trap, literally have a piece of string around the neck that stretches out of the tank, and hide behind something and when you see him go for it... yank and claim victory
Old 10/02/2006, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

that sucks about all the stuff you lost, but if you catch the mantis, i'd love to take him off of your hands, i'm local also so if your looking to get rid of him let me know.
Old 10/02/2006, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

When you get the rock he is in out, bring it to me, Ill zap him with my welder, it dosnt effect the other organisms on the rock and he gets fried for murder....
Old 10/02/2006, 12:35 PM
Premium Member

seminolecpa, You said that the clicking sound drove you nuts. What do you mean by that? I ask this because every night when I turn out the light, something clicks in my tank, over and over and over all night long! It sounds like someone is tapping something metal on my glass!!!
Do I have a mantis shrimp?
Old 10/02/2006, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

Doesn't necessarily mean you have one. Could just be a piece of equipment or a snail or crab shell hitting the glass, but it could very well be either an mantis or pistol shrimp. I would keep an eye out. I still have nightmares about that sound.

Where did you get your live rock from?
Old 10/02/2006, 03:26 PM
Premium Member

I got it from other established tanks, and from Nippon Goldfish when they were still open.
Old 10/03/2006, 01:40 AM
Registered Member

I think I have it narrowed down to 3 rocks. This weekend they all get pulled. Now all I have to do is find that snail that keeps knocking over my frags and feed him to the Mantis.

You ever fell like starting over with a brand new tank, and do it correctly with all the knowledge you have gained? That $169 12G Nano Cube from Live Aquaria has been calling my name. I want to see how many species of zoos you can stuff in 12 gallons.