Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/16/2002, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

HOT-1 Assembly Question

Fellows, normally I am no dummy. But for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to mount the Maxi-Jet 1200 onto the 1/2" nipple on this skimmer. Is that nipple on the pump supposed to go into the nipple on the skimmer? They both measure very close to 1/2", but I am going to have to do some taper work to get it done. Any hints?

Thanks
Old 10/16/2002, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

are you sopposed to use a piece of hose as a cupling
Old 10/16/2002, 06:34 PM
10 & Over Club

hummmmmm
I though HOT-1s came w/ a rio800 rvt as standard. This I know forces onto the input barb no problem.
So maybe it requires a bit of lube and some pressure, or better yet you can add a small length of soft 1/2 tubing to connect the Maxijet to the input barb. The maxijet came w/ the RVT kit-right?
Old 10/16/2002, 06:37 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

It doesn't fit. I used clear hose/tubing from home depot. It's the same one that fits on the cup overflow tube thingy. Just cut a 1.5" piece, and fit half of it to the skimmer intake, then slide the pump output into the other half. It'll all cover w/coralline and no one will ever know

Angela.
Old 10/16/2002, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Yes, it comes with the Rio 800 as standard, but I upgraded, (I Hope) to the Maxi-Jet 1200. It has a very similar nipple on both pumps. The Rio might be slightly tapered. I assume that they force into the nipple on the Hot-1. But it's really tight. I was just wanting to confirm that is the proper mounting. I think the CPR BackPak (on my 29gal) does the same thing but it's no where near as tight.

Yes I did get the Turbo Venturi Kit for the Maxi-Jet. No pictures, or instructions for it's use, but I think I have that figured out. It mounts to the input of the Maxi-jet with a small air hose going outside of the tank with a filter on it. Correct me if I am wrong on that.

Thanks for the quick relplies
Old 10/16/2002, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

Got it. Thanks for the help. Couldn't find any tube so I did a quick taper with a knife and warmed it up under hot water and it went on.

We be skimming soon!