Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/05/2006, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

You go guy!
Old 09/06/2006, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

Seriously I didn't want to begin an arguement, was just kinda being sarcastic. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion I just can't see how you can form one with out solid proof. I am one who is all for new technology. And I'm just dieing to see pics of the unit and hear how it works out. My tank won't be sps ready for prolly a year so I'm excited to see where this goes!
Old 09/06/2006, 01:48 PM
El Jefe de WRS

"And I'm just dieing to see pics of the unit and hear how it works out. " -frankie33

I have heard of dying to see or do something, but I have never heard anyone staining or painting textiles in anticipation...
Old 09/06/2006, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

Update -- my light has NOT yet shipped. Now expected end of next week.
Old 09/06/2006, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

And now begins the waiting game... Can someone cue the music from the end of the tv show Jeopardy now please?
Old 09/08/2006, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

lol... give a guy a break eh! you gotta to keep busy in anticipation of these things... i now have lots of pretty colored shirts that were one white...
Old 09/08/2006, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Rich,

As a statistical engineer, I appreciate you pointing out inconsisitencies when trying to make comparisons. I beleive you make some valid points. Also, I haven't seen the Solaris in action. For me the jury is still out.

However, if it produces satisfactory results for those that use it, well, they have gotten what they paid for regardless of some inaccuracies.

I won't be an early adopter on this but I am very interested in the future.
Old 09/08/2006, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

my brain has been fryed. I cannot believe the petty arguments that went on in here. I can't wait to see pics of this lighting system. I just wish that people could just let her be on this (not starting anything here) I personally think that you can get better light from T5's than you can from MH but thats just my opinion, mainly b/c I am running T5's over my 29 right now and the tank is a growth factory after less than a month. Let us know when it gets there Cindy and be sure to post some pics.
Andy

"Do not medle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with catsup"
Old 09/09/2006, 05:41 AM
Registered Member

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/20...ize&frame=true

HELSINKI, Finland - The winner of a $1.2 million prize for his inventions in light and laser technology said Friday he will give away some of his money to promote research at universities and organizations that help developing countries.

The award, announced in June, was for his work in developing the blue light-emitting diode, or LED, widely used in traffic signals, mobile phones and illumination
And reef tank lighting (OK I added that part)

I’m Excited How about you!
Old 09/09/2006, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

I saw this display at IMAC, very interesting technology. I currently have diy led moonlights on my tank and have had a problem. If one LED goes bad they all turn off, Kinda like a string of christmas tree lights. I asked them how they overcame the problem and didnt really get an answer. I am very interested to hear how these setups work in the real world. Please post some before and after tank shots!!
Old 09/09/2006, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

If they were wired in parallel only the effected led goes down your set up is “series” Manufacture sortcut--ever notice how a quality string of Christmas lights generally do not have that problem.

LED work but some one wanted to save a little bit of money when they made yours.
Old 09/09/2006, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

I have been running the 2ft SOLARIS on my 29G tank for 10 days now. I yanked out a 250W 10K metal halide, and put this light in its place.

Visually, the tank looks a lot dimmer.. but that also has a lot to do with the fact that the light is a lot bluer than what I am used to or like.

Before putting this light, the tank temperatures ran from 77 to 83-84 degs. After using this light, I have noticed that tank temperature has not gone over 78 degs. Really a big difference as far as heat into the tank is concerned. Some of it can also be due to the fact that now I also have a open tank vs a closed hood before. But clearly, there is very little if any heat comming out of the lamp side of the fixture.

The corals seem to have adapted to the change, and so far I have not seen any ill effects. The tank primarily has soft corals with some LPS like frogspawn, open brain, caulastrea and echinophyillia. They all seem like they are doing fine so far. Its just me who can't still get adjusted to the blueish look of the tank There is definately move visible flourescence due to the blue LEDs.. this flourescence was masked with the 10K metal halide.

I'll keep you posted on any long term effects I see.

I find it amusing to reed some of the arguments... clearly there are 2 sets of people the Early Adopters and the Majority. Here are recognized differences between the 2 groups. I don't spend my time trying to convince either group

Early Adopters:

Favor revolutionary change
Visionary
Project oriented
Risk takers
Willing to experiment
Generally self sufficient

Early Majority

Favor evolutionary change
Pragmatic
Process oriented
Risk averse
Want proven applications
May need sufficient support

“According to diffusion theory, adoption of technological innovations is a function of one’s innovativeness, or willingness to try new products.”
(Atkin, Jeffres & Neuendorf, 1999)

Enjoy.. I think there are bright lights in our future

sanjay.
Old 09/09/2006, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

Here is a good graph showing the variation in technology adoption. You can figure out where you stand, and respect the opinions of the other camp.

source: http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...0917110&size=o

sanjay.
Old 09/09/2006, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

Talking

I fall into the give me the specks so I can build my own darn light category -I am willing to attempt this on my prop tank-
Just what are the specs for your led’s.
I am building a propagation tank, I wish to incorporate leds as much as possibly if not entirely.
I fig. If they are selling a 48 inch unit for 2,200 bucks I would have a lot of fun making them for less.
Please be the first to actually post some tank pic’s!!
Old 09/09/2006, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

Here is a picture of my 29G tank with the SOLARIS fixture. The tank has been running for over a year with no skimmer or sump.

Sanjay
Old 09/09/2006, 04:45 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Well, I may not be an early adopter of the Solaris, but I did buy some LED spotlights from here:

http://autolumination.com/home.htm

The 120 LED white and 60 LED blue spotlights. I have seen the many LED lit nanos over at nano-reef.com, but decided against making my own array, or investing in luxeons at this point. What I got looks promising though, and should be plenty of light for my new aragacrete 5.5g nano...

If nothing else, I should say... those of you who want moonlights on the cheap, just get the smaller 3-7 LED screw in bulbs in the color you want for $7-10, screw them in to a medium socket, and away you go. This might be a great idea as well for those with taller reefs where the small Icecap and Coralife 3-4 LED moonlights just dont cut it... a 8-18 LED moonlight might be a better idea.

As for the 5.5g... Ill keep posts on the progress, but so far... they are bright!

^^ from an angle so you can see the color. These LEDs look dull until you look at them dead on... then...

^^^ blinding barely describes it. I plan on using the one 120LED white with the two 60 LED blue on either side, but if that isnt bright enough, I have another 120LED white that I can put in to fit above a 5.5g. The white has a slight blue tint to it like the other super-whites in the industry... lots of blue I suspect even on its own. I think shrooms, some zoas, and some leathers should get enough light, and LPS as well. With both white spotlights, I think I could get away with some monti caps or something along those lines. I was going to try a couple deepwater acro frags or wallindi, suharsonoi, etc from the main tanks to see.

^^^the larger 120LED unit is a for larger spotlights, but at least it fits in the normal space for what its rated... unlike many of those wanna-be CF spotlamps that have bulky reflectors attached so they cant even fit in most fixtures... and these things are bright right away... not after a minute.

^^^the smaller blue spotlights are nice sized as well. I would consider these to be much better alternatives for spotlights than the Compact Flo attempts. The LEDs do a much better job of getting the light to where its intended... about a 45degree arc in front of the bulb is all... so even though they arent as bright as say... my 70watt halide, they do a much better job with what they have and dont send any glare out to the sides. They also make a fraction of the heat. I could run these things IN the water (if they were waterproof) and still not overheat the tank.

Wish me luck!
Old 09/09/2006, 11:38 PM
Premium Member

Sanjay is that a moded maxijet in your tank?
Old 09/09/2006, 11:44 PM
Premium Member

my bad it looks like a seio after looking again.
Old 09/10/2006, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

the light looks a little dim but the tank is open back still cant wait to hear more
Old 09/10/2006, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

looks more like the actual sun to me but I am still a newb in some ways to this hobby.
Andy

"Do not medle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with catsup"
Old 09/10/2006, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

Keep in mind those LED spotlights use 5mm LEDs which don't have anywhere near the life of Luxeons.
Old 09/10/2006, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pulse13
Keep in mind those LED spotlights use 5mm LEDs which don't have anywhere near the life of Luxeons.

I thought that 5mm leds had a 50,000 hr. burn
Luxeons burn brighter but had a short life..??.? not sure.
Please elaborate--As I have a lot to learn.
Old 09/11/2006, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

The short lifespan of 5mm LEDs is due to heat build up, since heat can only be dissipated by the wire leads and epoxy housing. Also the epoxy is degraded by light, like many plastics, especially in those LEDs with shorter wavelengths like blue and white LEDs. High power LEDs are designed to be used with a heat sink to pull the heat away and they usually have a silicone based encapsulant rather than epoxy.

Heres an article that explains it:

http://www.compoundsemiconductor.net...gazine/8/1/4/1
Old 09/11/2006, 02:15 PM
El Jefe de WRS

not that im an expert...

those 5mm LEDs run so cool in comparison though to the luxeons. I doubt that they are much above 100 degrees F... and they are rated to last 10 years (granted, not at 100% and all, but still, 10 years).

hey... ill atill take em at 5000 hours, if thats all they are really good for... thats still longer then alot of other lights.
Old 09/11/2006, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

They only seem to run cool because the die is insulated by the epoxy, the junction temperature will be much higher. The filament in an incandescant lamp burns at several thousand degrees F, but obviously the glass bulb is much cooler. In most applications such as indicator lamps the LEDs are driven nowhere near their rated current anyway. Thats why they don't seem to dim in equipment thats been on for many years. The short lifetime is a greater problem with white, green and blue.