Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/21/2006, 03:58 PM
Legal Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by crzy4reefs
I love to see my husband happy and for him his garage is his happy zone, he works on the cars (sometimes i help him with that) and he does wood working and what not.

If he's happy i'm happy

Ok Lets see some pic's of every ones garage.
Old 08/21/2006, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

I'm throwing in my vote for the Garage to be and always will be our domain. Trespassers will be shot!
Old 08/21/2006, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

I think this is only true for you manly straight men. The only thing in my garage are the cars, empty fish tanks, and my boyfriend's boxes of drag from years gone by. Might as well be a storage shed for us.
Old 08/21/2006, 04:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
The only thing in my garage are the cars, empty fish tanks, and my boyfriend's boxes of drag from years gone by.
And I though I had an exciting garage with two motorcycles and a riding lawn mower. I just can't compete!
Old 08/21/2006, 05:16 PM
Moved In

Well MY car is in the garage. And on the other side is tools, table saw. Lawnmower and snowblower are next to each other.
I'm ready for anything!

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 08/21/2006, 05:24 PM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by rvitko
I just tiled my garage with that Craftsman floor tile and painted it and organized all my tools.
Roger, got any pics? After my garage is cleaned out, I'm going to paint it semi-gloss white, add a new fusebox and electrical outlets and do something with the floor. I can'd decide between those epoxy-resin floors (pricey), paint or something else. I plan to turn it into a woodworking shop soon.
Old 08/21/2006, 11:18 PM
Premium Member

Several years ago when I was married I saw a house advertised for sale with a 12 car garage. I was sold, didn't even need to see the house. Women can be such killjoys.
Old 08/22/2006, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

Alright, since nobody else will fess up.....

We are protective of the garage because its one step up from sleeping in the car when she is throwing tuff love at you whenever you get in range..
That and its like being sent your room when you were a kid... "wait.. you want me to go someplace where I wont be bothered and can play with my toys in peace.. oh yea your right.. I've been bad.. I should be sent to my room for a long time.."

Beerguy - on snake handling

Jeremy
Old 08/22/2006, 08:47 AM
I yam what I yam

Here you go Pete,
The woodworking part of my garage.

http://community.webshots.com/album/176808421MeJbMd

I'd also like to do someting with the floor, I'm just not sure yet of what I want to do. I do have some rubber gym mats down in certin areas, mostly in front of my big work bench but they are a pain. I have all of my tools on rollers so I can rearrange my workshop as needed for the project at hand. The rubber mats make it hard to roll stuff around on.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 08/22/2006, 10:30 AM
Reefer

Nice! No dust pickup system? I gotta have that. In the storage unit I'm moving to my garage next weekend, I've got a 12" radial arm saw and planer (dewalt), tall drill press (craftsman) and a jointer (an old industrial model), all from my uncle that wasn't using them anymore. I've got two miter saws here (dewalt 12" compound and Ryobi 10" fixed), a small Ryobi table saw and a porter cable plunge router and biscuit planer/jointer. I'll need a heavy duty table saw and dust vacuum system.
Old 08/22/2006, 10:40 AM
RC Mod
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by pnosko
Roger, got any pics? After my garage is cleaned out, I'm going to paint it semi-gloss white, add a new fusebox and electrical outlets and do something with the floor. I can'd decide between those epoxy-resin floors (pricey), paint or something else. I plan to turn it into a woodworking shop soon.
I'll try to get some pics tonight. Pete, you should check out Griot's Garage. They have a website. They sell all the flooring you can imagine. I had painted my floor with epoxy paint about 5 years ago. It started to peel from doing numerous brake jobs and painting my truck, just too many solvents. It cost me about $200 to do the paint, the tile was $1000 and that was cheap for that sort of tile material (2 car garage). My only gripe is it will move and buckle if you pull into the garage too fast. Griot's has this awesome carpet that has like 1000 threads per inch, and it can be cleaned with acetone and it is a carpet tile that is self adhesive so you can replace a piece if necessary. That was what I really wanted but it would have been $3000. Griot's was my inspiration but on most of their stuff they are very pricey, I can get the same tools cheaper locally and the same tile was about 30% more in their catalog. Their paint system though looks really nice. If you are going to paint, I would look at their granite finish since it is sealed with a clear coat and sounds really durable. I like their products overall and on many items they have no equal, like their workbenches, sure others are cheaper but they are MDF and poorly made compared to USA made solid steel and maple. Repainting for me would have meant stripping it and it is well over 100 right now and I have breathed in enough toxic fumes in my life. The tile clicks together so easy, me and my girlfriend knocked it out in a day. It has a 10year guarantee and if you damage one it is fairly easy to replace.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"
Old 08/22/2006, 10:45 AM
i'm here for you two

Quote:
Originally posted by MarksReef

i'll see if this week we can get a picture of it.

A wedding? I love weddings! Drinks all around! "Cap'n jack sparrow"
Old 08/22/2006, 10:51 AM
RC Mod
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by pnosko
Nice! No dust pickup system? I gotta have that. In the storage unit I'm moving to my garage next weekend, I've got a 12" radial arm saw and planer (dewalt), tall drill press (craftsman) and a jointer (an old industrial model), all from my uncle that wasn't using them anymore. I've got two miter saws here (dewalt 12" compound and Ryobi 10" fixed), a small Ryobi table saw and a porter cable plunge router and biscuit planer/jointer. I'll need a heavy duty table saw and dust vacuum system.
I have been looking at dust collection/vacs and I am torn between Festool and Fein. Anyone have any input? Both are German made, the Fein's charm is under 60dB, I turn 31 tomorrow and got a card from Beltone that I am preapproved for credit on a hearing aid so I try to be a little more consciencious about my hearing. The Festool looks really tech but is a bit louder, and more expensive though the Fein is about the same considering it comes with nothing- no filters or attachments. Both have auto on features. I don't do much wood working, mainly automotive and tinkering, but I do some basic home repair/ improvement.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"
Old 08/22/2006, 10:56 AM
Reefer

I never intend to put a vehicle in this 2-car garage.

Some day I'll build a place that has a separate work shop and then I'll park in a garage. Right now, it's too prime real estate for my truck and car.
Old 08/22/2006, 01:10 PM
2/08 HB first show

I can hardly believe that my thread about taking over the garage has become a show and tell and a smathering of proudness...Go figure

A person can solve a lot of problems by FIRST using a QT tank.. QT all new fish.
Old 08/22/2006, 02:08 PM
Reefer

Old 08/22/2006, 04:00 PM
Legal Reefer

We need to see some more pic's of every one's garages.
Old 08/22/2006, 04:23 PM
I yam what I yam

Pete,
No major dust collection yet. Still looking. I du have everything set up so I can hook up my 6 1/2 HP shop vac to. I've been looking at the Grizzly models. I'm not sure about the db sound level but I own a few of their tools and would put them up against any other tool out there in the same size range. They are less expensive than their competitors and the quality is there, sometimes even better than the higer end/priced models.

As for tools, Besides the table saw/router station and planer you see in the pic's, I have a 6" jointer, 10" miter saw, old craftsman bandsaw and a really old delta/rockwell floor drill press that weighs a ton but runs true as can be. That along with all the regular hand and power tools one would have in a shop. All that I'm lacking is my dust collector and a large drum sander, then I think I MAY be set. But you never know, there's always a new tool coming out that I might have to trade up for.

As far as parking goes, the bike gets parked in the gargae, that's all.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 08/28/2006, 09:40 PM
RC Mod
RC Sponsor

Blown,

I got the Fein vac last week as Woodcraft had them on sale for $359 which was below Amazon and hey, I get it now. Anyway, I have to say the company really impressed me. I bought it on my birthday as a gift for myself only to find a small broken nub inside. Not really sure what it did I called Fein's office in PA and the guy was super helpful, he explained it was a safety to prevent a bag or filter from completely restricting air to the motor, it created a 1/2" gap should the bag suck up to the motor. I told him I would rather not return it or send it in and I am fairly technically inclined, could he send me the piece. They sent it and a technician called me to explain how to remove the broken nubs with a pick and install the new piece. Awesome service and it reminded me a lot of how I run my business, parts came in a hand addressed envelope, service was one on one, no press 1 for blah, blah, blah. Not saying anything against Grizzly, my dad swears by Grizzly. I have a Fein Multimaster, this was what I bought my dad and myself two years ago for fathers day and I have to say after the vac purchase, I am very pleased with the company and plan to buy one of their cordless drills soon. I had been debating Hilti, Fein or one of the new Milwaukee LI ion but given the LI ion blow ups on computers I am thinking the old NIMH technology is probably more trustworthy and Fein definitely earned my business though I can't say anything against Hilti either who went above and beyond when my hammer drill was stolen a few years ago.

Old 08/28/2006, 09:50 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by MarksReef
Needs some work, 24' x 36'
Enough room for 2 cars up front, M/C & Jetski stored in the back
And still enough room for a work area. The small area to the right will be a sump room for my 325g.
Above the sumproom & to the right on the patio will be a sunroom.
The wall to the kitchen will be opened up to the sunroom

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08/29/2006, 09:10 AM
I yam what I yam

Hey Roger,
I've always heard good things about Fein as well. I've had the same type of service that you describe from Grizzly when I had a missing part on my TS. Customer service and quality is what will keep my bussiness.

I think the LI technology is good, just needs a little refining to make it great. Have fun.