Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/28/2006, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

HOB: Coralife Super Skimmers

Anybody has any experience with Coralife Super Skimmers? Any feedback? I am thinking about using to my 90G LPS/softy setup? What model should i go with? Also do you have a link with css mod? What was the mod about? I definately like to have drain setup for collection cup.
Old 08/28/2006, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

I ran a CSS 125 on our 90 gallon for awhile and it worked great. Right now i have it running on our 240 gallon FOWLR tank, but this is only temporary until i get a bigger skimmer.

As for the mods, there are a few you can do. I did the pvc mod to the return and got rid of the overflow box. Works a whole lot better now.

Do a search, there are a few threads floating around about this skimmer with alot of good info.
Old 08/28/2006, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Do a search, there are a few threads floating around about this skimmer with alot of good info.

Thanks for info. Like to search but search doesn't seem to work due to high server load etc....

Can anybody capable of doing search can post some links ?
Old 08/28/2006, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

Here's a link to a list of mods for the CSS: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=899299

This should get ya started at least.
-P
Old 08/28/2006, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by p-deezy
Here's a link to a list of mods for the CSS: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=899299

This should get ya started at least.
-P
Thank you. It's very helpful
Old 08/28/2006, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

Skimmate overflow drain question:

Does CSS 125 model comes with overflow drain or just CSS220 only?

Also does the area stinks where you have the large collection container that collects drained skimmate? Are there any tricks to keep the smell down? What's your experience with this kind of setup and how do you keep the smell down?
Thanks
Old 08/28/2006, 05:23 PM
Coral Cutter! Muahaha!

I used a CSS125 for about a year on a 120. Didn't pull enough for that size of a tank IMO.

I later switched to an EC-240 with a beckett mod and had a huge increase in skimming, even using the same pump I had for the CSS125.

No the CSS125 doesn't ahve the overflow, but I made one myself. 1/4" drill with a 1/4" tube running off it to a 2 gallon milk jug. And no, you can't hide the smell... Mine was/is in the closet but it still smells pretty bad if it hasn't been emptied and cleaned for a few weeks. If I could get it into the stairwell, that would be better, but that's 15' away through a couple walls.
Old 08/28/2006, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

Is a Coral life skimmer better then an ASM?
Old 08/29/2006, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Boerner
I used a CSS125 for about a year on a 120. Didn't pull enough for that size of a tank IMO.

I later switched to an EC-240 with a beckett mod and had a huge increase in skimming, even using the same pump I had for the CSS125.

No the CSS125 doesn't ahve the overflow, but I made one myself. 1/4" drill with a 1/4" tube running off it to a 2 gallon milk jug. And no, you can't hide the smell... Mine was/is in the closet but it still smells pretty bad if it hasn't been emptied and cleaned for a few weeks. If I could get it into the stairwell, that would be better, but that's 15' away through a couple walls.

What happens if you put some kalk/pickling lime or carbon in the waste container? Will that keep it down? Any other tricks to keep smell down?
Old 08/29/2006, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SMS76
Skimmate overflow drain question:

Does CSS 125 model comes with overflow drain or just CSS220 only?

Thanks
Our 125 has a overflow drain in the collection cup.