Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/31/2006, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
I've never used an H&S, but i have used a Deltec AP600, and the Reef Octopus i have sitting in my sump is MUCH better built than the deltec. (Its actually CAST instead of extruded, too)

How many reef octopus's have you seen? Theres about 4 different generations of these things.

In any comparison, you HAVE TO remember cost. Its silly to compare the $1000 H&S to the $300 octopus. Take the octopus and throw 2 H&S eheim 1260s on, and you should be around the same cost. That thing will outskim the H&S by a large margin.
I have seen the whole octopus line 6 skimmers IIRC.

Have you used H&S? If not you have no clue .

Also you must not have read my post but thats cool too.

OH BTW the octopus 3000 is 550 where I would buy it .

And there is no comparison in construction period.........
Old 07/31/2006, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
No, it just irks me with all the "if it costs more, it has to be better." crap that goes around in this hobby.
Well, so far, you have called me a racist, a xenophobe, stupid, ignorant and an elitist. Are you about done?

Hm... I'd love to engage you in a conversation where I point could point out that you don't know what I know because you know nothing about me. I could also point out that you are not bringing up any points that are really new. What, you think you are the first rocket scientist to be championing a new imitation as an alternative? Your the only person that has put your hands on a skimmer? Your the only person ever to look into the difference between cast acrylic and extruded acrylic? Your the only person ever to ask about contact time and head pressure on a pump? You're the only person to ask why it's taking Euro reef years and years to match the performance of Deltec and H&S skimmers? Yup, you're right. Everybody who advocates Deltec and H&S over the imitations like ER, ASM, Octopus and Coralife are all afraid of change and unwilling to try something new. Yup, we're all stupid.

You're a pretty tough guy calling people names behind your computer. Maybe you should consider using some of that money you saved on your skimmer use it on anger management therapy.
Old 07/31/2006, 09:42 AM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by clkwrk
I have seen the whole octopus line 6 skimmers IIRC.

Have you used H&S? If not you have no clue .

Also you must not have read my post but thats cool too.

OH BTW the octopus 3000 is 550 where I would buy it .

And there is no comparison in construction period.........
Theres different generations. 6 Skimmers yes, but my 3000 is completely different from some of the other 3000s I've seen. At 550, you're getting ripped off. Should be, and is still available, at around $379.

I still stand by my claim that my octopus is better built than all the Deltecs I've seen. Never seen an H&S, so I dotn know.
Old 07/31/2006, 09:44 AM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by Adobo

You're a pretty tough guy calling people names behind your computer. Maybe you should consider using some of that money you saved on your skimmer use it on anger management therapy.
Maybe you should grow up.

I called you a racist because you said you wouldnt wish anything chinese made on a snake.

Racism: Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Your saying its a bad product because its chinese. THAT IS RACIST.
Old 07/31/2006, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

Rich how come it seems you track down any thread that mentions octopus or pcI? I mean really I see you in every thread and you always have to attack others because they think different from you .
Old 07/31/2006, 09:51 AM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by clkwrk
Rich how come it seems you track down any thread that mentions octopus or pcI? I mean really I see you in every thread and you always have to attack others because they think different from you .
I'm attacking him because hes making racist comments.

I have chinese friends. They'd be very offended by his statements, so I'm very offended by it.

I post in most of these threads because half the people posting have never even seen one of these things and are making ignorant comments like "Its chinese, therefore it stinks"
Old 07/31/2006, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Maybe you should grow up.

I called you a racist because you said you wouldnt wish anything chinese made on a snake.

Racism: Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Your saying its a bad product because its chinese. THAT IS RACIST.
Two points:

- you need to go get your reading glasses.
- you should consider taking a time out. Really. You're coming close to blowing a gasket.

Now, I'm gonna move on to something more pleasant like lunch. I'm thinking, no sushi. (Oh no, I must have something against Japanese people too.)

P.S. I love it when people talk to minorities lecturing them about racism. A minority who grew up in Virginia. About racism. Care to guess how much chinese blood I got in these veins?
Old 07/31/2006, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

I think there is a lot of talk about how 'if you take the ocotpus skimmer and mod it to take an eheim nw then it will outskim a deltec for a much cheaper price.' The trouble with saying this is where do you draw the line - I mean, wouldn't it be cheaper still to buy some acrylic and make the skimmer body yourself? If you're willing to put the time and effort in then yes, you can save a lot of money and have good performance still, but most people don't want the hassle, and so look to buy a skimmer and use it as it comes out of the box.
Old 07/31/2006, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

Hey Flobajob,
I see you're in Manchester. (This is off subject) We'll be making another trip across the pond next year for a little football. One of my daughters will be playing in the Wales International Soccer Tournament. I can't figure out why they call it a Soccer Tournament and not football Anyway, we begin in Manchester and travel around England playing a few matches before the main event in Aberystwyth. We'll be paying a visit to Old Trafford and Liverpool I think.
http://www.challengersports.com/tour...06.pdf#search='international%20soccer%20tournament%20wales'
Old 07/31/2006, 10:49 AM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by Flobajob
I The trouble with saying this is where do you draw the line - I mean, wouldn't it be cheaper still to buy some acrylic and make the skimmer body yourself?
Actually, no, it wouldnt.

I priced it out. I only bought the Octopus NW200 because it was CHEAPER than buying the acrylic, and PVC union for the neck.

I could not DIY it for the price. 8" acrylic tube is about $38 a foot, so thats $75 worth of acrylic tub for the body used, with a minimum purchase of 5 feet ($190). 3 1/2" tubing is roughly $20 a foot, so I would have needed $20 of that (again, $100 minimum purchase).

We're up to about $100 worth of parts so far, with a minimum purchase of about $300. Now you need a 3.5" union to fit that pipe. Thats $65. $165 at this point, and that doesnt even include the acrylic for the curved neck, the base, or any of the plumbing. Not to mention the PUMP.

When I actually did all the prices, It was gonna cost me $320+, with $500+ minimum purchase. So NO, you can't DIY it for cheaper.
Old 07/31/2006, 10:56 AM
Flowalicious

Quote:

P.S. I love it when people talk to minorities lecturing them about racism. A minority who grew up in Virginia. About racism. Care to guess how much chinese blood I got in these veins?
" But believe me, I would not wish a chinese imitation skimmer on a snake"

What difference does it make that you're a minority? Does that give you the right to make racist claims about minorities? Can I say all jews are cheap while you say anything made in china is crap? Its the same thing.

Have you used one of these skimmers adobo? Thats the relevant question here. Have you owned a Reef Octopus, or used one at any point?
Old 07/31/2006, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

I geuss I am really taking a chance here. Jumping in to such an angry thread. Oh well here goes, I bought an ASM G3(euroreef clone/imitation) fired it up right out of the box, unmodded . The strangest thing happened, it worked fantastic.
Old 07/31/2006, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Rich, I'm not trying to argue here, it's just I feel that if you're allowed to mod one skimmer then it no longer is a fair test - the initial question was which skimmer was better - the deltec mc500 or RO recirc 150. IMO answers should be given in terms of which skimmer is better as it is (bearing price in mind), not which skimmer 'could' be better if modifications were made.

BTW Rich, I do agree with you when you say that, for you Americans, it is better to buy a RO and modify it. However, I do not want the hassle of making any changes, plus the Deltecs are so much cheaper here, and the shipping charges from America to the UK are around $100, making the RO as expensive as the Deltec.

I picked up an unused deltec that had been opened before the owner realised that he didn't have enough time and/or money for the hobby for £140.

However, if I was in the US, I would buy the RO.

Salesweasel, I hope you have a great trip to England. I'm a United fan and wouldn't visit Anfield if I you paid me (unless it was to see United beat Liverpool). Incidentally my parents are both Liverpool fans .
Old 07/31/2006, 11:11 AM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

Quote:
What are you trying to say about Virginia?
Old 07/31/2006, 11:26 AM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by Flobajob
Rich, I'm not trying to argue here, it's just I feel that if you're allowed to mod one skimmer then it no longer is a fair test - the initial question was which skimmer was better - the deltec mc500 or RO recirc 150. IMO answers should be given in terms of which skimmer is better as it is (bearing price in mind), not which skimmer 'could' be better if modifications were made.
I agree. But we're not really talking a modification here, no DIY work or anything, just screwing on a different pump.
Old 07/31/2006, 11:42 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Let's keep the racism and stereotyping out of this thread or it'll be closed.

There won't be another warning.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 07/31/2006, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

Way to go beerguy !!!! ROCK ON !!!!
Old 07/31/2006, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

I'd suggest we close it now. Otherwise, folks might be under the impression that personal attacks against fellow hobbyists is somehow acceptable.
Old 07/31/2006, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Why doesn't octopus put an eheim or aquabee pump on their skimmers in the first place? If so, they would have the best of both worlds - performance and price. I would buy one then.
Old 07/31/2006, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by twon8
What are you trying to say about Virginia?
It's for lovers.
Old 07/31/2006, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

Nicely put Adobo.
Old 07/31/2006, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmicky41
Why doesn't octopus put an eheim or aquabee pump on their skimmers in the first place? If so, they would have the best of both worlds - performance and price. I would buy one then.
They dont need to. They it works fine out of the box. could it work better? yes, so could all of them deltec, Euro reef, H&S, ASM... with maybe the exception of BK. but me personaly, i would have to mod a BK also.

maybe moding things is why i like this hobby, noing that i can take a good thing and make it better and cheper.
Quote:
Originally posted by mg426
I bought an ASM G3(euroreef clone/imitation) fired it up right out of the box, unmodded . The strangest thing happened, it worked fantastic.
So did the octopus NW-200
test photo
Old 07/31/2006, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
FWIW, I have problems with my $189 octopus on my 80 gallons of water:

The problem is I simply can not keep enough nutrients in the water to keep SPS dark. They keep lightening up on me.
Hey Rich, what do you mean by lightening up. Do you got pics? Maybe nutrients is not the problem.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 07/31/2006, 04:36 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by gcarroll
Hey Rich, what do you mean by lightening up. Do you got pics? Maybe nutrients is not the problem.
I'll take some when I get home. Its the typical too much light/ too little food you get sometimes with SPS.

I just need to buy more fish
Old 07/31/2006, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree. But we're not really talking a modification here, no DIY work or anything, just screwing on a different pump.
I serious doubt you can just screw on a ehiem with no mods and the majority of the people in the octopus thread are moding or trying to figure out how