Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/28/2006, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Question BIG SHOWDOWN ER or Deltec?

OK, which is the one to get? RC250 or AP851?
225 g tank.

Help, please?
Old 07/28/2006, 10:35 PM
Premium Member

deltec all the way
Old 07/28/2006, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Deltec
ER's are just clones.
Old 07/28/2006, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

What makes the Deltecs better please?
Old 07/28/2006, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

You know, there's a couple of really simple mods that you can make to a Euroreef to get them working on par with the Deltecs.

Here's a few:

Cut down the height of the collection cup. The lid of the cup is just a tad too high, spacing it inefficiently from the riser tube. A big part of the whole Deltec mystique is their ability to quickly force foam out of the riser tube and into the collection chamber. Chopping down on the height of the collection cup so that the lid rest just half an inch over the riser tube emulates the Deltec design and forces the foam into the collection cup at a higher rate.

Make a self-cleaning/auto shut-off venturi by extending the venturi hose and plumbing it into the top of the skimmer collection cup.

Here's some crappy art to illustrate:
_______
I ....... <----- Venturi plumbs to the top of the cup where the max
I . . I i water level would be.
I . . I i
I______I i
I I i
I I i
I I i <----venturi hose
I I i
I I i
I I i
________[----] <---venturi

Those and the infamouse recirc mod are all things that you could do in an afternoon and would probably cost less than $35 TOGETHER.
Old 07/28/2006, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

.. Okay, that sucked...

Errr, I'll draw it out. BRB.
Old 07/28/2006, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Okay, CHECKIT:

I imagine you void your warrantee when you do all this crap though.
Old 07/29/2006, 12:26 AM
I play with water

Quote:
Originally posted by 3.99AfterTaxes
I imagine you void your warrantee when you do all this crap though.
Yeah, that would be a safe assumption regardless of brand.

FWIW, I Know a lot of current Deltec owners were former ER users. Not aware of a lot of former Deltec owners who are now ER users though.

I went with Deltec because their AP702 fit my size requirements. That and their reputation/customer service is top notch.

Brett
Old 07/29/2006, 05:12 AM
Always Learning

Deltec is definitely a step up from ER. But before you go out and get a Deltec give H&S skimmers a look.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
Old 07/30/2006, 10:19 PM
I play with water

Had I been able to get the size I needed shoe-horned into my stand H&S would have gotten my business for sure. Kinda a shame too cuz I like their stuff.
Old 07/30/2006, 10:22 PM
Generic Member

Deltec and H&S have Eheim 1260 NW pumps. That sets them apart from other mfgrs.
Old 07/30/2006, 10:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Putawaywet
FWIW, I Know a lot of current Deltec owners were former ER users. Not aware of a lot of former Deltec owners who are now ER users though.
I love it. What makes it better is the fact that it's the truth.

Deltec

Why buy a ER for that price and then you have to mod it to work better?? ROFL
Old 07/30/2006, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 3.99AfterTaxes
You know, there's a couple of really simple mods that you can make to a Euroreef to get them working on par with the Deltecs....
Sigh....
Old 07/30/2006, 11:45 PM
High Plains Drifter

But what will the Deltec guys say when the Eheims get here?

And FWIW, I don't think you have to mod the RC models at all. The only mods to be done are on the non RC or skimmers w/out gatevalves. And the people who buy these are just trying to save some money instead of stepping up.

Right now, I would say the 851 is the better skimmer. No doubt if you're looking for silence. Number wise, they're equal.

When the Eheims come out, well then its gotta be the ER's right? I mean, they are built with better materials right? And with the same pump, then the tie breaker is over isn't it?

Jim
Old 07/30/2006, 11:48 PM
Premium Member

The same thing the Aqua Medic guys said when the PCI/Octopus pumps started coming in. Nothing!
Old 07/31/2006, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Adobo
Sigh....
lol, i was just sayin'....

Anyway, for the price, I'd rather buy H&S skimmers. Also of note are the new ATI Bubblemaster units. You can find a lot of info on them on the "other" board.
Old 07/31/2006, 12:15 AM
High Plains Drifter

Yeah, I would say H&S too. But the poster was asking about the Deltecs. Much better deal IMO.

Jim
Old 07/31/2006, 12:47 AM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

I posted in your other thread and took a look at the ER afterwards. The bummer about ER is that their prices are not really less than the German models. The RC250 is $1,200 which I believe is about the same for the Deltec. And you get a superior pump with the Deltec (IMHO, and IME). I figured the US skimmer would be less considering they don't have to pay for shipping from 10,000 miles away, use a lesser pump, and don't have to deal with the crappy US dollar. But I guess I was wrong.

http://commerce2.i2net.com/able5stor...ategory_ID=612

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 07/31/2006, 12:52 AM
High Plains Drifter

Fliger is right. I agree they should be a bit cheaper.

Here is another link: http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=ER1617

For some reason, ER sells their skimmers for more $$$ on their site than on others. I think they may be trying to maintain the "manufacture" status and leave the majority of retail to the stores. But I still don't understand the price increase on their website. I mean, no one will want to pay an extra $300 just to get the same skimmer for the factory right?

Jim
Old 07/31/2006, 01:57 AM
in da tank, aight

their site is for informational purposes and to send customers over to other stores. if they sell for the same price they will undermine the relationship between them and their retailers.

why should a retailer bother carrying a product line and be stuck with stock if the manufacturer sells them for the same price directly to the customer?

head over to the deltec forum and you will see a few lfs owners complain how that customers where not directed to them from deltec.

also, the steep prices help give them an "elite" status for their product line and makes the customer feel like they found a good deal on any particular website.
Old 07/31/2006, 01:58 AM
Moved On

That's crazy!
Old 07/31/2006, 07:11 AM
Registered Member

When the Eheims come out, well then its gotta be the ER's right? I mean, they are built with better materials right? And with the same pump, then the tie breaker is over isn't it?

Jim [/B][/QUOTE] Well said jimdog
Old 07/31/2006, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

I would say the er is a better made skimmer. My friend just had her deltec break. But untill they come out with the quieter pumps they are louder. I think detecs are way over rated. I would look at H&S instead.
Old 07/31/2006, 07:51 AM
Premium Member

I would say go Deltec on customer service alone. Doug at Deltecusa will bend over backwards for you. Sometimes availability of Deltec models is an issue. ER customer service is terrible and well documented. $.02 I have owned just about every skimmer brand except Bubble King. BTW- the new BK minis are coming out soon.
Old 07/31/2006, 11:05 AM
Premium Member

I have a older style Euro-Reef that has an older pump and a newer Deltec.

The Euro-Reef is significantly better in build quality then the Deltec.

The Deltec pump (Aquabee 2001) is significantly better then the older Euro-Reef pump (SP3) in air flow. I found them pretty equal in noise. The newer Euro-reef pumps are supposed to be much better for air flow.

In the past Euro-Reef had some pretty big issues with customer service. It seems that these issue have been resolved and they do have a toll-free phone number dedicated to customer service. I don't know how good it is because I have never had to use it.

Since this number was introduced I have been looking for negative feedback on it like there was on Euro-Reef a couple of years ago. I haven't found any at all.

Comparing Doug (distributor and retailer) to Euro-Reef (manufacturer) on customer service is not a direct comparison. When I first got my Euro-Reef I had a problem. I contacted the retailer and the problem was dealt with right away with no problem at all.

I bought my Deltec thru an online retailer here in Canada. If I had an issue with it I would go thru that retailer not the distributor (I have no idea who the distributor is), and certainly not the manufacturer (I don't Speak German )

3.99AfterTaxes - I understand the idea of cutting the neck down on the Euro-Reef. I would never recommend that someone do this and I am not too convinced that this will give you a major increase in performance (I am certainly not willing to try it). The self-cleaning auto Venturi is certainly not a feature on the Deltec. I do not see how it is going improve performance at all, I do see how it is going to act as an auto-shut off.

my2girls - I am with you on owning a lot of skimmers. I am missing an H&S and a Bubble-King. I looked into getting a Bubble-King and was told that it was at least a 4 month wait, but probably longer. I hope that when the bubble king Mini's come out they will be able to manufacture them quickly enough to meet the demand.