Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/29/2006, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy sad news...

So I went camping for a week with my family and friends...

I asked one of my close friends to top off the tank every few days and feed some prepared food I had left in the fridge. He tells me he did what I showed him but when I got back...

EVERYTHING (except my 2 clowns and a few hermits) has died!! All my corals (sps, lps), are bleached white! My huge kenya tree frag is now a white goop. Even my GSP's are gone!! My leathers and my cleaner shrimp are surrounded in a white cacoon type of thing. There is red algae on the rocks.

What could've happened??? Could've been the heat?? There was a fan on the tank 24/7 and it has never gotten above 90. Did he accidently put something into the tank?

Whatever happened, I'm a very sad person now...
A years worth of hard work and dedication down the drain!!

Does anyone have any advice on what to do next? Should I completly throw out everything.. rocks, sand and water and start from scratch all over again?? Can I spare the sand, and or rocks??

I haven't tested for any out of whack parameters - there is no point to

...cry...cry...cry...
Old 07/29/2006, 07:55 PM
Premium Member

Re: sad news...

Quote:
Originally posted by BenH98
There was a fan on the tank 24/7 and it has never gotten above 90.

I am not sure about your persoal experiences, but typically speaking 90+ temps will cook a tank. Once 1 thing dies, it usually will go downhill from there (unless you have oversized filtration). Even with oversize filtration, if the "bodies" are left in the tank then the crash will jsut pick up speed as it goes

Sorry to hear of your loss.

As for the rocks and sand, if they were LR and LS then you can always try to just "cook" them for a couple of months. If they were/are base rock, then I would jsut let them dry out , clean em and set back up. Or if you filter the heck out of everything, just leave it where it is, manually clean the rocks as much as you can, and do a pretty big water change (if no corals are left you might as well do a 100% WC).

HTH and the best of luck with whatever route you choose
Old 07/29/2006, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

This may sound dumb but...

I do have LR and LS... when you say "cook" them for a couple of months do you mean with high temperatures in the tank? or actually cook them in a pot of water?
Old 07/29/2006, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

cooking rock involves putting them into a light restricted environment for an extended period of time. That should help elimiate that red algae. Do a search here on RC for rock cooking . It doesn't involve any elevated temperatures
Old 07/29/2006, 08:42 PM
Moving Along

That process can basically be done in the tank now that sadly there isnt anything to worry about in regards to a photocycle, really. Manually remove all the gunk, kill the lights for a couple days. Thereafter, let em kick back on but only for a few hours. This will do wonders in regards to algae by the end of the week assuming you dont go with a full light cycle durring any of those days. The first couple days Id be vigerously swapping out any filter pads,cleaning out filter socks, and fresh carbon every week. After a weeks time this too should be come less and less and your tank will eventually clear up. Worry bout keeping the fish alive and healthy, and in 3-4weeks time you should be able to start some hardy corals in there again, but of course do some testing like nitrates, and ph, when the trates are below 50 and the ph is stabilized go for it.

I have a 4" kenya with your name on it Ben, as well as a baby green finger leather( nice one too!) and some shrooms,xenia,zoos and PSP(pink star polyps!).

I am sorry for your loss man, BUT,I aint gonna let you outta the hobby this easy brotha

-Justin
Old 07/30/2006, 10:54 AM
Teeam Gary!

So sorry to hear about your tank. I have some GSP and mushrooms for you. I can bring them to a meeting once things settle.
Things might get ugly for the clowns during the next few weeks. If you don't have a QT tank, now would be a good time to start one. They can stay safe in there while the main tank goes through its process of eliminating the toxic goo from the dead corals and probable cycle. Once they are happy back at home, you can use the QT tank to hold the frags you get from us.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you can get rid of him for a whole weekend.
Old 07/30/2006, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info, and thanks for the frags!!

I do have a QT tank that i'll need to set up. I'm going to start tearing down and restarting today
Old 07/30/2006, 03:42 PM
Hab SoSlI' Quch!

Ben let me know when you are ready. I have some stuff for you too, zoos, kenya tree, shrooms and rics/yuma.

Liz
Old 07/30/2006, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

You guys are awesome!! I will let you know in a month or so when i'm all ready!! Thanks again!