Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/12/2006, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

What kind of Garlic do you guys use? The crushed type that come in jars from the supermarkets ?
Old 07/12/2006, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, if you have them in a QT tank, then you dont have to worry about harming anything, so you have the option of additives. But if it is only ich, lowering the salt will work. You could always start with that and if you notice any other illness, dose with the additives. Its just good to know about the salt method, especially when you have a tank full of sick fish with ich and need to treat them without harming the other tank mates.
Old 07/12/2006, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

They like that kind of garlic, I use garlic juice from the supermarket, either one is fine.
Old 07/12/2006, 11:22 PM
Premium Member

NEVER USE STRAIGHT GARLIC always always always use garlic extract or you run the rish of harming your fish
Old 07/12/2006, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

why cant you use straight garlic ? isnt that the same as crushed garlic in a jar ?
Old 07/12/2006, 11:50 PM
Premium Member

Because it has acids in it that can mess up fish's digestive tract and yes it is the same. So u use garlic extract (garlic juice) you can buy it for around $1.00 at a grocery store
Old 07/13/2006, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

Well, the larger clown has died. Late last night she was fine, I checked on them an hour ago and she was dead. The smaller one looks fine (like the other one did last night), but I don't expect him to last.

This is incredibly frustrating and heartbreaking because I was really attached to those clowns.

So have we decided that the coral beauty had something before I got him and that's what caused all these problems? I want to know for sure if I should avoid that LFS in the future.
Old 07/13/2006, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

If you buy a fish and it gets sick and dies, it does not always mean that the fish store that you bought the fish from is a bad store with a bad history. It was just your misfortune. The next time you buy fish, you should always ask these questions. Also, you should check for any visible signs of disease.

1. How long has that (whatever fish you want) been in that tank?
2. Is the tank dosed with copper?
3. Have you added any new fish to the tank where the (whatever fish you want) within 4 weeks?
4. Has it been behaving normally?

If the fish you want has no signs of disease, has been in a tank treated with copper for at least 4 weeks with no new fish added to the tank for 4 week, and if the fish has been behaving normally, it is probably safe to buy the fish and put it directly in your display tank. If the fish you want has not met any of the requirements, you can buy it, but put it in a quarintine tank when you get home.
Old 07/15/2006, 11:33 AM
Premium Member

The remaining clown fish has died as well. He was trying to hold on, but it was just too much for him.

What should I do to the quarantine tank to make sure that there is no trace of whatever killed these fish left? Should I throw away the media in the filter I'm using? I'll probably be getting new fish soon, but I want to make sure the QT is clean before doing so.
Old 07/15/2006, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Rinse the quarintine tank with fresh water and let it dry completely for 3 days. Let your main tank cycle for 1 month before putting new fish in. You don't have to change the filter media. But you can if you want to.
Old 07/15/2006, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

I wanted to make sure there was no trace of anything left in the QT, so I soaked everything in bleach water and rinsed it out well. I'll let it dry out for a few days. I also decided to toss the filter media.

I'm worried about any harmful bacteria that is in my display. I know the ich parasite will die after 6 weeks without fish hosts, but what about any bacteria? A friend of mine suggested a UV sterilizer. Would that be a good idea?

I would hate to quarantine any new fish for 6 weeks only to have them killed by anything that might be lingering in the display.
Old 07/16/2006, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I'm worried about any harmful bacteria that is in my display. I know the ich parasite will die after 6 weeks without fish hosts, but what about any bacteria? A friend of mine suggested a UV sterilizer. Would that be a good idea?
Anyone have an opinion on this?
Old 07/17/2006, 01:34 AM
Registered Member

UV sterilzers do work. However, there are pros and cons. For example, using a uv steriler kills harmful bacteria. While on the other hand, uv can kill beneficial bacteria that helps you reduce the number of water changes you have to do in a month.
Old 07/17/2006, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

I do weekly water changes of about 15%, so I'm not worried about that. I'm more worried about having bacteria in the display that might kill any future fish I add. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the UV sterilizer.