Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/11/2006, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

New 224 gallon tank- Up Stairs -

Well i actually purchased the tank so its time to make it work.
I am posting pictures to get your info/ideas. Im trying to give you guys as much info as i possibly can. So bear with me.

Take a look at the pics since I am some what worried about the tank being on the second story of our house.

The tank will be 224 gallons and a 50 gallon sump. So around 2200lbs
with water no sand or rock. Plus say 100lbs for the stainless stand.

I am just looking for everyones input I have talked to a few contractors and had mixed reviews of my idea.

Thank you Bryan Friend
Old 07/11/2006, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

The Back side of teh tank now is right infront of / on the Beam
Old 07/11/2006, 11:34 PM
Premium Member

I have a similar dilemma and consulted with an architect and structural engineer. I want to place a 180 gal 6'x2' footprint with the backside on a load bearing wall. According to the architect there are a few possible problems that may occur so some preventive structural changes needed to happen.

First problem is the foundation. Even if I was on the loadbearing wall there is still a chance that the foundation may sink a little due to the heavy dead weight. So check to make sure the foundation will hold by determining how deep or thick the concrete is. Older homes are usually better.

Second problem is the floor joist. The joist should be big enough to support the weight and if not some additional ones will need to be added. In my case I have 2x8x12 floor joist. Due to the length I was told I needed to double up on the joist and screw them together so it would act as 4x8x12. In my case I added 5 additional joist since it would span across 5.

Total failure is rare but the bowing floor joist is common. An uneven tank will end up leaking at some point.

In my situation I am adding a 180 in a 3rd floor loft. I removed all the sheetrock on the floor below and added the additional support. The 180 build should take place at the end of the month. I spent more time and money with the restructure than the tank itself. Longterm it will pay off.

In my opinion if it is difficult to add additional floor joist then add 4x4 posts with a 2x8 header to the front of the tank.
Good Luck.
Old 07/12/2006, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

Thank you very much for your imput.~
Old 07/12/2006, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

Well keep the info coming ~
Old 07/16/2006, 06:17 AM
Registered Member

Are those floor joist going to be under the tank that are cut away to run those pipes? If it is I would definatly think twice about puting a tank on top of those or you will have a huge mess on your hands