Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/05/2006, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Pump pushing 600 gph?

What is a cheap pump that would allow for 600 gph to be moved from a sump into my main display. I haven't made the sump nor do I have anything made as of yet. I just want to know how much money I'm looking at. What is a cheap pump for 600 gph? Is any powerhead good that is rated at that?
Old 07/05/2006, 01:43 PM
Team RC Member

The rio 1700 is 625 gph and cost lest then $30
Old 07/05/2006, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

You can even buy a good quality pump like a MAG pump for like $50 bucks
Old 07/05/2006, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

Eheim 1260 outputs 635 GPH at 0' of head pressure. It's a fine pump. I started with Mags and have replaced them all with Eheim's.

So for me it would have been much cheaper to start with the Eheim's.

Josh
Old 07/05/2006, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

what you want is a MAG 9.5 its rated @ 950GPH @ 0ft so @ about 4-5ft of head you get about 600GPH

I have one on my 40g with a 20L sump/fuge and it works great. Costs about 100$ but has a 3yr warranty!

If youre worried about too much flow you can always "tee" off the return line to relieve excess flow back to the sump and make a lower GPH, (thats what I do when I feed the main tank) I also feed the fuge flow with the return line via another "tee"
Old 07/05/2006, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

You can get a Mag 9 at TFP for around 70 bucks. I have had great luck with mag pumps.
Old 07/05/2006, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

Jeremy.... What is that "sock" for on the left side of your sump?

Does the distance the water travels from the sump to the display affect the gph of the pump?
Old 07/05/2006, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 07/06/2006, 07:52 AM
Reefin' Ain't Easy!

Take a look here:
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_...ck.asp?CartId=

Filter Socks
Excellent for trapping detritus and reducing air bubbles in the main aquarium.

I guess you can also use them for carbon etc, i assume.
"All the clownfish and yellow tangs in the world can't help you now!" - Peter Griffin
Old 07/06/2006, 07:57 AM
Premium Member

Curious about the pumps. I have a Mag 7 that I got when I bought the tank. Will an Eheim 1260 be noticeably quieter? The Mag is about 20% smaller which is nice in my cramped sump.
Old 07/06/2006, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Reef_|
Edward
Old 07/06/2006, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

oh ok, Does the distance the water travels from the sump to the display affect the gph of the pump?
Old 07/06/2006, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reef_|
oh ok, Does the distance the water travels from the sump to the display affect the gph of the pump?
Yes, the distance the water has to travel up from the sump to the display affects the pumps ability to maintain flow by having to work harder to push the water up further distances.

You can use this calculator to check out most pumps and what GPH they will push at what heights etc.

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php
Old 07/06/2006, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reef_|

Yes the distance will affect the flow

Its a filter sock works really well with the micro bubbles ( I have none)

A mag 9.5 will be perfect or at least the smallest pump that I would use for you set-up

Good Luck!
Old 07/06/2006, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

A mag 9.5 for a return pump in a sump for a 45 gallon display? I think your going for way too much flow through the sump. You should aim to get the bulk of your flow in the display with either power heads or a closed loop. It is a waste of pump, energy, and heat to try to get display flow and fight against gravity at the same time. A good rule of thumb is 3-5x display volume for turnover in the sump.

You asked about the eheim 1260. I think that would be too much as well. The eheim is way quieter than a comperable mag, and also way outflows a comperable mag. I'd recommend you use a 1250 or less as a return pump. Less watts=less heat and also equals less problems with microbubbles, etc.

Jack
Old 07/06/2006, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

Damn, I tried to say that it would have an effect. It seems that some character in your name caused the board to ignore the rest of the paragraph.

Edward
Old 07/06/2006, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

if you have a lot of volume moving therought the sump and are worried about microbubbles then use a filter sock.

By pushing 500 or 600 gph throuh the sump you will eliminate the need for powerheads in the tank. I also use a SCWD and that really helps the corals thrive, I would have more GPH but with the SCWD I lose about 100GPH from the pump

By having a pump thats too large you can always reduce the flow

With a pump too small you have wasted your money.

It comes down to the personal prefence, do you like the way the powerheads look in the tank or do you want less clutter and more space for the corals etc..
Old 07/06/2006, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

You are right that it comes down to personal preference, but a closed loop would take up just as little space, and be _way_ more efficient than trying to get flow from the sump. You'd get more flow from a mag on a closed loop than you would through a sump -- because the closed loop does not have to fight gravity. That is why trying to achieve display flow with a sump return is a waste of money, and heat, and electricity usage ($). Also, why mess with microbubbles if you have none? Lower flow eliminates a lot of unnecessary problems and unnecessary waste...

Jack
Old 07/06/2006, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

A sump will also help to increase the total water voloume wich is never a bad thing

Microbubbles are not a problem in a sump with a filter sock, also if the sump is designed well there will be very little microbubbles anyways

A closed loop will require less GPH from the pump, but a closed loop is a want-a-b sump

With a real sump you can set up a fuge to help with nutrient
export, copepods, and keep more LR to help with the bioload

Take some time to calculate the costs of each syatem and make sure that what you get is what you want. I always research my purchases, in this hobby cheaper is not always better.

You get what you pay for, all your equipment should be as good as you can afford at the time. You will thank yourself in the end for purchasing a quality product that is exactly what you want.

Good Luck
Old 07/06/2006, 05:33 PM
Premium Member

I'm not advocating no sump, I'm advocating judicious use of the sump. A closed loop is not a wannabe sump, its a closed loop. They are different and used for different things. I do agree with getting what you want, and buying quality. To that end, I recommend eheim over mag, and I recommend lower flow through the sump. Good does not equal more flow when it comes to the sump

Also, fwiw, an eheim performs much better than a mag under head and would perform much better with a SCWD with more flow, and less noise.

Jack
Old 07/06/2006, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

look into mag 7

Rollin on 10s
Old 07/07/2006, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

a nice thing about the design that I used is that I can shut off the flow to the fuge or let the flow run rampid!

So I still get low flow through the fuge but high flow through the rest of the sump

The mag 9.5 that I have is whisper quiet already buy the SCWD is a little noisy ( I think I may have a defictive one )