Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/25/2006, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

breeding (yes, releasing eggs breeding) flame angels for sale

Hi all...well we just had a REAL (as in human) baby 3 weeks ago (our second, a girl) and I think I have to cut back on my "hobby".

I'm thinking of selling my flames, they're paired and breeding, just watched them release eggs last night.

Anyone interested? I really don't know how much to ask for them either. They've been in my tank for 1 yr. got them pretty young, so I think they're only 2 at most.

What's a fair asking price if I do sell?

TIA
Old 06/25/2006, 09:28 PM
Moved On

How do they do with corals? If they're nice to corals I'd be willing to give them a home (although other folks here could probably give them a "better" home! What size tank are you keeping them in now? Shoot me a PM!

Matt
Old 06/25/2006, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mwp
How do they do with corals? If they're nice to corals I'd be willing to give them a home (although other folks here could probably give them a "better" home! What size tank are you keeping them in now? Shoot me a PM!

Matt
they're in a 90 right now, with several other fish (akyndinos pr, orange shoulder tang, purple tang, gold-spot rabbit fish, some anthias) Most of the corals are softies, the sps stuff all died off on me when I put too many fish in! They don't bug the clams, or some of the monti digitata though. I keep the glass nice and dirty for them to pick at!
Old 06/25/2006, 10:00 PM
Moved On

Well, if you have no other/better offers from seriuos breeders and you're willing to ship, I'll throw my hat in the ring. They'd have to share a 24 gallon nanocube with our Onyx Perc pair and a Firefish, and well Renee's always wanted A Flame Angel...hey, if I can get the mandarins to do it in a 24 cube, maybe it's not so far-fetched with Flames?

MP
Old 06/25/2006, 10:50 PM
Fish Yenta

Bummer you are so far. I'd love these for my seagrass lagoon. I have plans for a single flame angel but a pair... that would rock.
Old 06/26/2006, 06:02 AM
Registered Member

mwp...sorry, but sending them from the 90 to a 24 won't work. They need more room to do their dance. It's a pretty neat thing.

Sorry Nicole, it always works like that don't it! =)
Old 06/26/2006, 06:40 AM
Moved On

Matt, if Renee wants flame angels, tell her she needs a 90 gallon tank! she can have a pair and watch them breed! Get her fascinated as you are. Just an idea....
Old 06/26/2006, 08:01 AM
Moved On

Unfortunately with the 5 tanks and 800 square feet there's just no place to put a 90 (I ALMOST squeezed in a 45 corner, but the amoire that holds our clothes is there instead!)

MP
Old 06/26/2006, 08:16 AM
Registered Member

I have a 150 that has no coral and only a few other small fish in it if want to ship them to me i would take them

Dale

PM me
Old 06/26/2006, 08:17 AM
Premium Member

I have a 60 and just received my 120. If they are good with corals, let me know what you need for them plus shipping, if you can ship them. PM me to let me know.
Old 06/26/2006, 10:34 AM
Premium Member

I have a 375G that will make a good home for them. We might even drive to your place and pick them up. LMK.

Thanks.
Old 06/26/2006, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MarinaP
I have a 375G that will make a good home for them. We might even drive to your place and pick them up. LMK.

Thanks.
Hi MarinaP...let me know when you get the chrysopterus up and running again and maybe we can make an even swap! =)

By the way, you owe it to yourself to come see Sanjay's new tank when we get it up and stocked! Not to mention the PSU tank is really doing awesome right now (knocks on head).

Just so everyone knows....I'm really not looking to unload these fish for free...the last pair I saw (and they were just "paired") for sale was at Dr Mac's and I think he wanted $350 or something like that...

Seeing as the CB flames go for $300-500 the potential earnings from these guys are huge...if you know what you're doing. I'm afraid I just don't have the time (have the knowledge and skills and tanks and equip) to try to raise em.

I'll catch em doing to deed tonight and try to post video soon...
Old 06/26/2006, 11:26 AM
Moved On

Mattydub, I hope no one on the thread was figuring you'd give them away! $350 for the pair sounds somewhat entirely reasonable - the only thing is that in theory you can simply get a small and big one and make your own pair, right?

MP
Old 06/26/2006, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mattydub
Hi MarinaP...let me know when you get the chrysopterus up and running again and maybe we can make an even swap! =)
Working on gasters now

Chrysopterus babies are all grown up, they are about 2.5"

I'd love to see both tanks in PA. Sanjay visited us a year or so ago, so you might get some feedback from him about our systems
Old 06/26/2006, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MarinaP
Working on gasters now

Chrysopterus babies are all grown up, they are about 2.5"

I'd love to see both tanks in PA. Sanjay visited us a year or so ago, so you might get some feedback from him about our systems
yes, He came back saying we can do your set-up, and then we tried and didn't work! =) You've got the magic touch! We/He had the akyndinos going pretty well but lost them when he had to move things for the big tank. I still have a pair that I'm holding for him for whenever he wants them back, but they're not breeding yet. I tried to raise a clutch of his akyns while he was traveling but couldn't make it to metamorpho.

Anyway...mwp...in theory that would work, although to be honest it's easier to just get small babies (if you can) and cross your fingers they grow up together. I started with 3 in the tank, my guess is that they were all teenie-boppers and I got 2 males, 1 female...the male killed the other male and now I've got a pair! HTH...
Old 06/26/2006, 02:42 PM
Tailspot Blenny

I'm interested... can you post pictures (Sorry if you already addressed this question)? I know flame angels look similar, but I'm kinda particular =P I have a 98 gallon with 210 total water volume.
Old 06/26/2006, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

Matt
Congrats on the baby. Got any pics of the flames? Were you ever able to raise any of the eggs?
Old 06/26/2006, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mattydub
we can do your set-up, and then we tried and didn't work!.
Reasons?

Akins are not easy to reproduce to begin with

Best of luck next time
Old 06/28/2006, 06:55 AM
Registered Member

Hi all...sorry, been operating on little (check that, NO) sleep and needed to crash a bit.

They do their dance and release each night at 10:20pm. I'll post video hopefully tomorrow morning.

Marina...we though the akins were suffocating from too rapid roti reproducing. Co-culture was just killing them off at day 4. It may have also been the IA, not fresh phyto. But it could have been a lot of other things too! =) Sanjay did manage to raise about 12 from one clutch but I think they're all gone now.

Hey Zach...thanks and no, the eggs are just so freakin small I have no idea how to catch them and keep em tumbling, etc. Sanjay says he can get us the copepods to try to feed em, but that's assuming I can get viable eggs to hatch!
Old 06/28/2006, 09:07 PM
I have a new avatar

sorry if off topic but matt I like your tagline