Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/17/2006, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

How do I dig a big hole?

This is for a Geothermal chiller project. Only need a 4.5F pull down.

I have a post hole digger, but I've only been able to go down about 4ft. The temp at the bottom is 79F when the air temp is about 90F. I need to go down lower, but I don't know how...

I'm trying to keep this semi DIY. I don't want to have to rent a huge CAT auger and tear up half the yard. I just want to make a hole. Any ideas?
Old 06/17/2006, 06:41 PM
getto king

What type of soil are you on? Somebody on here just pounded a 3" pipe down into the ground and then pulled it out with a come along. If you are on sand this should be really, really easy. But being from texas I bet you are on clay. Could you trie soaking the ground to soften it up and then use the pipe. maybe hammer it down a couple of feet and then pull it out to clear the clay.

Let me know how it works out.
Old 06/17/2006, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

Yep, I'm on nice, bright orange clay. Once I hammer it in, how would I pull it up? I would never be able to grip it.

Here is a pic of what our top soil looks like:

Old 06/17/2006, 06:52 PM
getto king

I would use some chain and a pully (come along) and use the pully to yank it out. If you only go in a foot at a time it should be easier to get out.
Old 06/17/2006, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

post hole digger work for ya.....
Old 06/17/2006, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

Re: How do I dig a big hole?

How low do you have to go?
Is there any more info on what you are doing?
I am really interested in this.
Old 06/17/2006, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Rent a back-hoe! They're not that expensive and very easy to operate.
Old 06/17/2006, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

pound metal pipe into the ground....then attach something to it so that your car jack can push it up and out...may have to get a little imaginative
Old 06/18/2006, 01:31 AM
Premium Member

IMO, if you are doing this project to save money, that is in lieu of forking the bucks over for a chiller, don't do it.

If it isn't done properly, sized correctly and controlled just so, it won't work and you will be out every dime you put into it.

The more I look at geothermal the more convinced I am that it is not all that feasible. Unless of course you live in just the right area with the right conditions and I am going out on a limb here, but, it doesn't look that way in your case.

I do not mean this at all in a mean way, I am just trying to be candid, like I would want someone to be with me.

Now, if you do go ahead with it please take lots of pics and please, please, please post your results. Good or bad, the more honest and accurate information that is shared the better chance for someone else's success.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck.
Old 06/18/2006, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cuby2k
IMO, if you are doing this project to save money, that is in lieu of forking the bucks over for a chiller, don't do it.

If it isn't done properly, sized correctly and controlled just so, it won't work and you will be out every dime you put into it.

The more I look at geothermal the more convinced I am that it is not all that feasible. Unless of course you live in just the right area with the right conditions and I am going out on a limb here, but, it doesn't look that way in your case.

I do not mean this at all in a mean way, I am just trying to be candid, like I would want someone to be with me.

Now, if you do go ahead with it please take lots of pics and please, please, please post your results. Good or bad, the more honest and accurate information that is shared the better chance for someone else's success.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck.

That is why I'm trying not to put much dimes into it. I doubt it will even work in texas since our soil temps are a bit higher than other areas. But I'm gonna try. I used the post hole digger to dig a 4ft hole, and I think I'll hammer in a 3" pvc pipe another 8ft down.
Old 06/18/2006, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Ok, I got the pipe. I can hammer it in fine, but I can pull it out at ALL. Not even when it's 3" in. Can someone please help? How did that one person get it up??????
Old 06/18/2006, 05:26 PM
Moved On

Just be thankful that you Don't live in Arizona, Caliche soil sucks and you couldn't move the ground without a backhoe.
Old 06/18/2006, 05:56 PM
Team RC Member

You know you're on dead ocean bed and that red stuff goes WAY deep... Try a strap wrench, you know, those things you use with oil filters, and get a friend to help. You might also erect an A frame of pipe, and use a pulley at the apex to get added heave-ho upward. Continue to hose it down, and sink a wider pipe and a smaller one in the middle: hammer down the one to stay, so your soaked walls won't collapse, and hammer down the inner one to excavate. There's a reason most wells in the red belt are done with augers.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 06/18/2006, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Update. We're diggin another hole with the post hole digger right under a 40ft oak tree. With some luck, we won't hit any roots.

We're about 20ft from the base, so I don't think we'll hit any large roots. Havn't so far.

We're choosing this spot because we'll be under a 12" limb, we'll then attach a winch to this and use it to raise the pipe. The limb should hold.....right?
Old 06/18/2006, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

i got an idea, why dont you call someone in china have them start digging and you meet in the middle, i bet its cold over there- lol - im sorry i could not resist
Old 06/18/2006, 08:30 PM
Premium Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but when I dig holes in my yard I use a shovel, a pick, and some m80s......and a jackhammer once. Freakin rocks everywhere here.
Old 06/18/2006, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

I give up. Even the winch can't get the pipe out of the ground, and the pipe is only 6" in!!!! It was bending 1/4" steel chain links! I now have a pipe stuck in the ground. I guess I'll just saw it off and fill the hole in.

How much would it be to rent one of these? lol

It would be so much fun, even if I did it and it didn't cool my tank. lol
Old 06/18/2006, 09:02 PM
getto king

Did you soak the ground first with water to saturate the clay? At least in my area (I live on clay, not texas clay) it is much eaiser to dig in the spring when the ground is saturated with water. If I need to dig a hole right about now I put out a soaker hose the night before and give the ground a good drenching. That helps to really loosen everything up so it should be easier to get it out.
Old 06/18/2006, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

It rained the night before. so the round was as soaked as it was going to get.
Old 06/18/2006, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

go to a rental place and get a fence post puller
Old 06/18/2006, 11:54 PM
Resident physicist.

Got access to a pressure washer? You should be able to use that to cut a hole. Perhaps use that on your 4 foot hole to further make some depth. You'll end up making a ton of mud, but that should be easy enough to yank out. Just go a few inches remove, and continue. 1800psi works nice on dirt/clay/concrete
Old 06/19/2006, 12:01 AM
Premium Member

What about using a heavy bar to loosen the bottom of the hole, then hammer the pipe in about 6" and use the winch? I worked in a nursery in highschool, and those bars are awesome tools.

Good luck.
Old 06/19/2006, 12:27 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Ok, this is how I have done it...

Pound a metal pole into the ground as far as you want to go. Drop a 1/2 stick of lit D Y N O M I T E in the hole and let er rip. Holes in seconds.
Old 06/19/2006, 01:01 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AnnArborBuck
Did you soak the ground first with water to saturate the clay? At least in my area (I live on clay, not texas clay) it is much eaiser to dig in the spring when the ground is saturated with water. If I need to dig a hole right about now I put out a soaker hose the night before and give the ground a good drenching. That helps to really loosen everything up so it should be easier to get it out.
Here in Maryland we have the same clay problem. if you need to dig through it filling the hole with water at night will help alot. you will also have to do it over several night or several times during the day. Fill hole, let soak, dig a foot, repeat.
Old 06/19/2006, 06:47 AM
Registered Member

How will this hole cool water? Geothermal systems require many feet of buried tubing to be pracitical. Have you determined your ground temp? You need to know what temp. your soil is and at what depth to even begin to understand your cooling potential.