Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/01/2006, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

holy moly!!!!! How awesome!!!!! sorry just had to comment since I never got to see these guys!

Erin
Old 06/01/2006, 11:39 PM
Moved On

Location: From NYC, currently serving time in Hattiesburg, MS
Me, too. WOW!
Old 06/02/2006, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

I had a ton of these guys in my 30 gallon. I just never see em in my 150. I was told they were upside-down jellies.
Old 06/03/2006, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

Def. a Jelly, Great find and hope it will survive in your tank.....
Old 06/04/2006, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

That's awesome. A few years ago, before I went reef and I was still at the apt., I noticed a tiny little thing swimming like a jelly fish in my tank. I had no idea what it was. For some reason it never crossed my mind that a tiny jellyfish would have hitch hiked on something. I estimate it was about 1 mm wide. I saw it once in a while for a week and then I didn't see it anymore. Any number of things could have led to it's demise. Wish I had one again.
Old 06/05/2006, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

I wanna hear an update on your little squishies!!!!

Erin
Old 06/05/2006, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Alright. So I put them in a cup again this morning to clean their home. As you can see in the picture. The one I found first is quite a bit bigger than the newer one! I hope they keep growing at this pace...

The spore on the rock that I posted a picture of earlier, is now pulsing but still attached to the rock! It is just about ready to become a free floating Jelly. Then Ill have three.

I had originally thought these spores all over were apstatia, but I know know they are not. I have enough spores to easily have a jelly only tank! But that's another tank!

I still don't know what to do... Should I set up another tank? My wife would kill me... But then I would have to just let them get sucked up in the filter and stuff like that.

I just dont know what to do...
Friend
Old 06/09/2006, 01:35 AM
Registered Member

I have these ALL OVER my sump. They are definitely upside down jellies. I first noticed them a few months ago when I was doing some sump maintenance...I saw one pulsing around the fuge area. Then I looked closer and I had jelly polyps all over my pumps, skimmer, and sump walls. After I discovered them, I noticed maybe one new tiny jelly every two day or so. Cool stuff. I have a 55 gal Hex set up that has three of the pale colored with blue tenticle upside down jellies in it. They don't swim as adults(unless you disturb them) plus I have all of the pump intakes pretty much covered, so they don't get murdered by the pumps. I put 4 of the babies in there...haven't seen them since the 1st night. They might still be there, but the tank is pretty tricky to look at. I tried keeping the "blue blubber" jellies, which were actually more of a maroon color...but MAN, they managed to find ANY crack, whole, crevice, slit, etc. to commit suicide! I gave up keeping those kind in there....and had a tank built! Just picked it up today. I'm leak anf flow testing it now. It was WAY too expensive to go with a completely circular design, so I went the a hexagon. I need to start a thread to document the project. MAybe I will. Anywho...I've rambled on enough...you will continue to find jellies bouncing around down there! Good luck.
Old 06/09/2006, 01:38 AM
Registered Member

By the way, where in SoCal are you? I've done quite a bit of research on how to keep these...I'll be glad to show you what I've come up with.
Old 06/09/2006, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Im in the Camarillo Area, You?
Old 06/09/2006, 02:06 PM
nothing to say here

Hey, gimme a cup of those little puppies!!
Old 06/13/2006, 02:40 AM
Registered Member

Camarillo is a bit far! I'm near El Segundo about 5 miles from lax.
Old 06/13/2006, 02:57 AM
TRC Leader

Neat discovery, and nice pictures. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Old 06/13/2006, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Oooohhh!

Cassiopea jellyfish.

Here's some pictures of ones that came from my tank:

Group shot:

They'll start looking more like this as they get older:

You can also find more details about them here. Scroll down to ''Scyphozoan Jellyfish, Part 1.''
Old 06/13/2006, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

why not set up a small nano tank for them? something inexpensive if need be.
Old 06/13/2006, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the Pics Telgian.

I am debating on what to do as a Jelly tank. I know they can get pretty big. I think like 6-8 inches. Although I think it takes a few years for them to get that big...

I have an old 10gal I could set up. The question is where my wife would allow it!!!

I would put it in the garage but I am worried about the temp in the summer...

Another option is my 40gal that is currently a reef. i am moving all that into a 90 I am building. I am then moving my Puffer, Clown, Tang and Sleeper Gobie into the 40. So I could put them in the 40 and be safe for a while...

Well see! I have to wait for them to get bigger anyway...
Old 06/13/2006, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Telgian, How big are yours in diameter? Also, how long have you had them for?
Old 06/13/2006, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

will those fish not eat them?
Old 06/13/2006, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

Hopefully they will get big enough for them to be safe...I have seen pics of them full grown in a tank with clowns and damsels. So I am hoping they would be cool, but the dogface puffer might see it as a feast!

So, Like I said I dont know what to do at this point...
Friend
Old 06/13/2006, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

you can always setup the 10 g. as a temp tank till you can move them over to 40 gal. I think you should definitely try to keep them and raise them, I think it would be neat!!!

Erin
Old 06/13/2006, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

those things are cool, all i ever got were i think staurocladia, just little white stick lookin things on the glass that would occasionally pulse across the tank. never did get any to live, someone prolly ate them.
Old 06/13/2006, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

I agree Hunter!
Old 06/14/2006, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

friendtothefish: The large one got to about 3/8'' IIRC, and then I had an accident and lost all the medusae that I had collected (ca. 25).

Then came two hitchiker crabs that obliterated my population of nice, big, fat polyps.
Old 06/14/2006, 01:50 PM
Moved On

Well, I just saw this thread, it looks like most questions were answered. Those are definetly Cassiopea medusas. They are the most easily kept jellies. The do need a good light source to keep their symbiotic algea in their tissues doing well. The tank for keeping them should be barren of any rock or gravel (ideally) and you can supplement their diet with nauplii and cyclopees. I would set up a tank with a submerged spray bar that shoots water down the back portion of the tank. The overflow portion of the tank should be walled off by a partition that has many small holes in it to disperse the draw of the overflow. The spraybar can be placed shooting down across the partition as well to furthur keep the jellies from sticking to the overflow area. The polyps will spread via a-sexual reproduction and they will also eat enriched nauplii. Once the polyps are big and fat you can induce strobulation (shooting off ephyrae or baby jellies) by adjusting temp or adding iodine for a stress associated trigger.

Have fun!!

Gary
Old 06/14/2006, 02:19 PM
TRC Leader

Gary, you must know what you are talking about. Your post sounds right to me, and your avatar backs it up.