Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/07/2006, 05:49 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Exclamation Goldfish Bred!!!!

I know goldfish are fresh water fish but I would like to post this. They hatched today and I saw them when I came home from school. They look like little tadpoles and there are about 30 of them. Maybe even more in the other tank with the mature goldfish. If anyone who has owned ponds with koi or goldfish can help it will be greatly appreciated. I'll try and get some pics once they're bigger cause they're not even 1cm yet.
Old 06/07/2006, 11:09 PM
Moved On

I thought goldfish basically need "infusoria" aka. green water aka. phytoplankton to start the larval growth...never tried them and I'm sure there's a ton of info out there - good luck.

Matt
Old 06/07/2006, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

I am guessing you will find more info on a freshwater board
Old 06/08/2006, 08:28 AM
1 clown short of a circus

I used boiled egg-yolk years back, but found that if you leave enough vegetation in the pond, many babies will survive on their own (koi and goldfish) eating all of the organisms growing on/around the plants and staying sheltered in them (since parents eating the eggs/babies can be a big problem). Pulverized flake or one of the many baby fish diets available should work fine too. Unlike clowns, these guys have no issues with dead food!

-Matt
Old 06/08/2006, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

Feed them hard boiled egg yolk squeezed thru a cloth when they start to swim.Then bbs.
Old 06/08/2006, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

When I first set up my small pond 6 years ago I started with shubunkins. Each year they spawned and 1 or 2 survived. Now about half of the fish in there were born there
Old 06/08/2006, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

Actually this reminds me a funny story ! (Oh stop it, you don't have to read it 'ya know)

I was making a service call to a guys house and noticed several fw tanks and quite a few empty tanks in storage, obviously the fellow had some fish keeping experience. I looked at his very tiny itsy bitsy little water garden, one of those HD rigid liners maybe 40 gallons or less, and in it were EIGHT 10-12" koi The little pond was immaculate as was the planting around it so I figured it was brand new. Surely this experienced aquarist knew something about stocking densities. Just as I was about to say something I noticed that the 8 fish were basically identicle, not so much the color & markings but the size and body shape, fin structure, that sort of thing. The fellow could see I was about to speak, he stopped me cold and said "Before you open your mouth, let me tell you that I put that little pond there 5 years ago with no intention of having any fish other than mosquito controllers. I bought some plants from XX nursery out of that huge pond full of giant koi they have there. A few days later my pond was teeming with baby fish. As they grew they died out one by one, these are the last 8". You know what? I believed him
Old 06/09/2006, 10:40 PM

Well I've seen some eat the tiny pieces of flake I put in the tank so that's good news. It looks like there are a LOT more babies than yesterday. I would say at least 50.
Old 06/09/2006, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

Ok, being more serious now I think if you take any vegie based flake food and mash it to a fine powder you have a pretty good chance with them.
Old 06/14/2006, 08:23 PM

I will not be able to post for at least a month because I'm going to China
Old 06/15/2006, 01:11 AM
Moved On

On the upside I'm sure you could get some GREAT first hand rearing info over there Have a fun trip!

MP