Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/22/2006, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

How would you plumb a 240?

Hello

After many years of FOWLR, I have decided to go reef. I would like to keep the standard things...corals, fish, etc.

I know nothing about designing a plumbing system because everything I have ever done has been hang-on type equipment and wet/dry. This time I have built a sump/fuge, and the tank is drilled in the back (not the bottom.)

The tank is a 240 gallon and everything needs to be under the stand, which is a standard height pre-made pine stand (can't remember the height, but not very tall). I need to have an out-of-sump protein skimmer due to height limitations with the sump/fuge.

If you were me and you were plumbing this tank, how would YOU do it? Closed loop, overflows to sump, spray bar, etc.? (I already have a Dolphin 3000 pump that I plan to use.)

Thanks!!!
Old 05/22/2006, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

For starters I would recommend you become a RC member so you can use the search function, at that point you will be able to locate many posts where people have pictures and diagrams of there setups. You should be able to locate something that is close to what you want. Thats how I started out and trust me the search ability is worth every penny at the start.
Old 05/22/2006, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

I agree, the search is deffinetly worth it, but if you cant afford it, try checking out the tank of the month section. There are alot of really nice tanks with some great plumbing ideas. Even if a setup you like is a different size, you can always just scale it up, even combine a few ideas.
I am currently setting up a 210, and i have just about got the whole setup planed out except for the plumbing. There are just so many ways to go it is hard to make a decision. So good luck, and
if you come up with something you like, run it by everyone, I know I will be interested to take a look at it
Old 05/23/2006, 05:09 AM
Registered Member

Well actually I can use the search function. What confuses me is....what do I search for? Plumbing photos?

I agree perc, there are sooooo many ways to do it, and I am worried that I'll pick the wrong way!!
Old 05/23/2006, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

Take a peek at this http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=850198
Old 05/23/2006, 06:05 PM
Premium Member

After you search out something then adapt it to your requirements and try to sketch out your design. Next post it and ask for feedback. The experts will point out all mistakes then use that feedback and do design changes that are needed, then keep reposting updated designs till you get good positive feedback.
Old 05/24/2006, 01:32 AM
Premium Member

One more question, a pretty important one actually.
What kind of corals do you plan on keeping? Do you think that some time down the road you might change what you want? The design can change pretty significantly according to what the tank will be housing.
Sorry, should have asked that one from the start.

Quote:
and the tank is drilled in the back (not the bottom.)
That will be great for a closed loop, which I def recommend. However that will most likely not do for the over flow. You will probably have to drill the bottom.

Quote:
This time I have built a sump/fuge
That is a great start. Do you have a pic?

Quote:
If you were me and you were plumbing this tank, how would YOU do it? Closed loop, overflows to sump, spray bar, etc.?
Yes, Definitely yes, most likely

A few more things to consider,

The ampmaster will make a good return pump
Closed loop: Sequence reeflo
Iwaki or pan world
Oceans motions
Sea swirl
Wavy sea
penductor

Power heads: Tunse streams
ecotech vortech
rio seio
plus a wave maker

Overflow: Megaflow
custom overflow
Duroso stand pipes
Silent stand pipe mod

Just a few things to consider in your design.
If anyone else can think of more, please add on.

HTH
Old 05/24/2006, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

Not all large skimmers are super tall. I'm in a similar boat, as I'm setting up a 240 gal bowfront, and I know all about under-tank space limitations! I ended up going with an AquaC EV-240. Its not as tall as many similarly-powerful skimmers....although, when sitting in my sump on the riser that puts it where it needs to be relative to the water line, its VERY close. If you have even less space, there's a thread here somewhere (may actually be the AquaC club thread) where someone had them build him a custom EV-240 with a shorter riser. That would definitely fit.

As for the plumbing...I've been to Home Depot way too many times in the last month! I have bags full of the wrong PVC fittings, and I'm still missing some stuff that I want/need. I highly recommend plotting everything out down to the smallest bit before you go shopping, although chances are no single store will have all the pieces you need.

jds
Old 05/24/2006, 02:57 PM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Honestly, after plumbing two tanks, I hate plumbing. My next tank will be a simple overlow to the sump and tunzes (or some equivalent powerhead). Closed loop plumbing (and the associated pumps and wavemakers such as OM), especially for a 240 will be expensive, not to mention potentially frustrating, and will probably be the same price as tunzes. JMO.

All statements have been peer reviewed.
Old 05/25/2006, 02:34 AM
Premium Member

Thats a good point. the tunzes and vortechs are great for ease of use, and the closed loops are better if you dont want to look at any big power heads in the tank. They also are endlessly customizable.

The price thing im not so sure about (except for the OM, they are pricey)
A closed loop with a reeflo dart, 2 seaswirls, and plumbing could be done for around $500
And even cheaper if you skip the wave effect and just get penductors(but I highly recommend waves)
And the cheapest comporable tunze setup is around $730 W/controller
Plus the above CL system would actually be very simple as far as plumbing, and you already have the holes drilled.

But, this is all JMO. I dont mind plumbing so much, and I also love the natural look of no equipment in the tank. But in the end, what you choose is all about what is best for you and your system.
And keep in mind I am not saying in any way that the tunzes dont work great because they do.
Sorry if im rambling

JMO,HTH
David
Old 05/25/2006, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

I took some more plumbing shots that are added to the 4th page here http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1