Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/22/2006, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

Unhappy Tragedy this morning....

I woke up this morning to find my prized black dogface puffer dead on my floor. I have no earthly idea how (or why) this fish jumped out of my tank. I have a glass top on 3/4 of the tank. I just have the front portion uncovered for feeding and gas exchange. He was a perfectly healthy fish that got along perfect with all the other fish in my tank. He had been living in my tank happily for over a year now. I am truly devastated right now, and am still searching for answers.

RIP my friend... and I'm sorry if I did anything wrong

Old 05/22/2006, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

So sorry to hear about this... I have a baby dog faced, and I have totally fallen in love with him....I can understand how much this would tear you up inside...

Please don't blame yourself....it may have just been a freak thing...from your pic, he was obviously very well taken care of...I hope my puffer looks as good as that a year from now...

Do not dwell on the past, improve the future!! ~ Marie Buckingham
Old 05/22/2006, 11:18 AM
a.k.a. "Keg Girl"

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Poor thing.

**New avatar: me and the Philly Phanatic**
Old 05/22/2006, 09:30 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm sorry about your puffer. To help out, you said that 3/4 tank was covered. Well odds are that it jumped out of the other 1/4 unless you have one strong puffer
Old 05/22/2006, 09:57 PM
Sorry, I'm not Jeremy

So sorry he was a pretty fish
Old 05/22/2006, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

i had a 8 inch russel's lion jump out of my tank. my tank was right next to my bed. when i woke up i almost stepped on him... i wished it would have woke me up
Old 05/22/2006, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

Sorrry to hear what happened . thats too bad and not a cheap fish to replace at that .
Old 05/22/2006, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. I think I'll go close the lids to my tanks. You may have saved me some heart ache. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05/24/2006, 11:09 AM
Member of the Month

Gosh, I am really sorry. I know thats heartbreaking. I think you took really well care of him though. Don't fault yourself. Unfortunatly in this hobby we sometimes lose things and it is very upsetting. Almost made me quit the hobby once it was so upsetting. But in the end I am glad I didn't. Good luck.
Old 05/24/2006, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

I feel your pain. Woke up this morning to find my daimond goby on the floor beside the hospital tank he was in. Still haven't figured out how he got through the gap that was only half as wide has he was.
Old 05/24/2006, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Angry so sorry

so sorry to hear of your loss. it really shows how much you loved him, and rightly so. i am sure he knew it. again, a heartfelt sorry! he will be remembered!!!
Old 05/24/2006, 07:57 PM
Evan in colorado

So sory to hear that. i guess fish spontaniously jump. my clown that i had for almost a year jumped and died. Again, very sorry.