Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/08/2006, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

Be very careful dealing w/ ASMSkimmer.com

Here is a copy of the email sent to Rob at ASMSkimmer.com on 4/17/2006 about an order that was cancelled months ago, but still shipped to me. I have yet to see a refund from ASMSkimmer. Hopefully someone else will see this and think twice about ordering from them. They are very unprofessional.

===============================================

Rob,

It has been almost 2 months since I sent the ASM G3 skimmer back to you after canceling my order and my credit card has still not been refunded. I have sent emails to you that have gone unanswered. If I do not receive a reply to this email by Wednesday April 19 at 12 noon PST I will be filing complaints with Visa and the BBB.

When I was researching my new skimmer, I was told by several people to order from you since your customer service was supposed to be very good. I have not seen any of that. If anything, this has been the worst online purchase I have ever made. First, the item that I ordered was out of stock. Not your fault, but it was not clear when ordering that the item was backordered. Second, after canceling my order after weeks of waiting and hearing nothing, the skimmer was shipped out to me. Third, after taking the time and sending the skimmer back to you (at my expense), here I sit with an unrefunded balance on my credit card.

Skimmer purchase for a mistakenly shipped item : 267.74

Shipping the item back at my expense : 14.08

Telling everyone you know never to order from ASMSkimmer.com : Priceless

Please refund my credit card the total of $281.82 ASAP. This is growing tiresome.
Old 05/08/2006, 06:05 PM
See if you can pingaso it

I'm sorry, but that last part sounds plane stupid. Why didn't you call your CC company and tell them what was happening and have them issue you a refund.
Old 05/08/2006, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Do you have their Phone number I just ordered from them !!!!!
Old 05/08/2006, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

1-513-897-1605
Old 05/08/2006, 06:21 PM
Eisenhosen

1) I believe that this thread belongs in the "vendor experiences" forum not "reef discussion".

2) I have had nothing but quick communication from ASMSkimmer.com myself and I don't think trying to defame a reputable vendor in this way is particularly helpful on these forums - especially when you try to wrap it around the "priceless" joke. If you have their customer service number why don't you use that?

Click my red house for my 125 gal. tank build thread.
Old 05/08/2006, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

not sure this is necessary "
Skimmer purchase for a mistakenly shipped item : 267.74

Shipping the item back at my expense : 14.08

Telling everyone you know never to order from ASMSkimmer.com : Priceless

Please refund my credit card the total of $281.82 ASAP. This is growing tiresome."

There is a vendor experience forum you know.
Old 05/08/2006, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
If you have their customer service number why don't you use that? [/B]

ummm.... If I could get ahold of them and get a return call, do you think I would have posted this?
Old 05/08/2006, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7328214#post7328214 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ambaratur
1) I believe that this thread belongs in the "vendor experiences" forum not "reef discussion".
Sorry, I did not know there was a forum for this. Thanks for moving it to the correct place, whoever was responsible for doing so.
Old 05/08/2006, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

I just got a tracking number from them for my ASM G3. Just ordered it last night . So far So good.
Old 05/08/2006, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7328741#post7328741 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mg426
I just got a tracking number from them for my ASM G3. Just ordered it last night . So far So good.
I hope everything goes good with your order. Hopefully my experience with them is not the norm. The G3 is a great skimmer. I love mine.
Old 05/09/2006, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Huh?

ToeJam - How do you love the G3 skimmer if you sent it back?
Old 05/09/2006, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
[i]
2) I have had nothing but quick communication from ASMSkimmer.com myself and I don't think trying to defame a reputable vendor in this way is particularly helpful on these forums - especially when you try to wrap it around the "priceless" joke. If you have their customer service number why don't you use that? [/B]
It does not appear to me that he is trying to defame a reputable vendor. If anything, he is relaying his experience as are you and others should be able to make their own decision whether they want to deal with this company. You had a positive experience and he did not.

Sounds as if he went about his due dilligence to get the matter resolved prior to brining it to an open forum, but unfortunately it came to this.

To defame is to say something that is slanderous and one of the two elements of slander is for it to be false. I don't think that he would be taking the time to complain about not getting a refund if it had been taken care of in a somewhate timely manner -- already 2 months since the unit was shipped back.

Additionally, methods of contact should not be listed on a web site if it is not monitored by the vendor. Why list email as a means of communication if you don't respond to it.

With that said, let me add that I am not trying to take sides here. Prior to purchasing my G3 (which I ultimately got from another vendor) I had email communication with asmskimmer.com and they always responded in a timely manner to my questions.
Old 05/09/2006, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

I have quite a bit of past experience with the company behind the ASMskimmer.com website, they are about 30 minutes from where I live in Ohio. I haven't been to their new facility yet with the greenhouse and all, but I hear it's well done.

I just wanted to put in my two cents, I've always had good luck with those guys when I have purchased from them, but I will say I've never had to have anything shipped from them because I could just drive there and buy it in person. I don't really go down there much these days, because the job I have now affords me unlimited access to just about any piece of livestock or hard goods item I could want.
Old 05/09/2006, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Re: Huh?

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7333137#post7333137 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crabfan
ToeJam - How do you love the G3 skimmer if you sent it back?
I cancelled the original order from ASMSkimmer.com because it was on back order and I needed it right away. I bought it from another online retailer who had it in stock and shipped the same day.
Old 05/10/2006, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

I've dealt with Rob in person and never had a problem- good guy.

You do have a valid gripe if your CC has not been refunded and they have received the skimmer in good order provided it was sent back with their approval.

I do question the timing of your cancellation and of the skimmer being shipped out...
Old 05/11/2006, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

It is too bad that ToeJam/Jeremy decided not to share the rest of the email that we passed back and forth.

This is one of the emails that I had sent him.

--------------------------------------------
Jeremy-

I believe this one has slipped through the cracks. I apologize - this certainly was not our intention.

I just checked our files and I do not have your credit card number anywhere. In order for us to refund money on your card, we will need the card number, expiration date, and CVV2 code (it is the 3 digit code on the back).

Once we get this info, we can process this refund.

Please call our shop: 513-897-1605. If no one answers, please leave the information on the machine. Please do not send me your credit card info through email, it is not a secure medium.

Are you currently in the need of a skimmer? I could work you a good deal for your troubles.

Thanks,

Rob

--------------------------------------------

Jeremy's money has been refunded, we also reimbursed him for this late payment fee ($29) he incurred due to not getting his refund.

I do find his timing on this post a but peculiar. I spoke with him in person on Monday night, the same night this thread was started. I assured him we would process his refund. I guess he felt he needed to share a portion of this story with the RC community.

As a vendor, you can make 100s of people happy, but if one person gets upset, look out world. We work very hard to offer the prices and service that we do. I would of liked to add Jeremy to our long list of happy customers, but unfortunately this is not the case.

We look forward to continuing offering the first class service we have delivered to our customers since our inception.

Thanks!

Rob