Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/25/2006, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

That doubled up pond liner was in the store for 4 years that I know of. It was probably there a good deal longer than that. I also know that they just laid it down right on the concrete floor of the store. If I was to do something like that, I would at tleast think about a layer of plywood, with foan insulation board over it. I'm not a pond person, but I would think the life expectancy should be up there since they are made to stay outdoors in about any weather conditions.
Old 04/25/2006, 09:21 AM
Moved On

did i miss it

Quote:
Originally posted by Phintastica
Spartan,

You are correct about the greenhouse idea. We actually thought about putting a cover above it but in the neighborhood the home was in even screened in pools are not allowed (with all the trees around the pool a screen would have been helpfull!). The uv did keep the water crystal clear with no algae blooms and I was very satified with that. I did not use any external biological - I looked towards the oceans for ideas and used 3000 lbs. of live rock placed around the three drains in the pool for water draw. It worked and the pool "cycled" in less than one month and animals were added at that time. You can see pics of the pool @ www.seaclearonline.com (this is not our stores site but a person who helped me set the pool up). Our stingray "lagoon" is 10'x20' and 2' deep. I am using all the filters from the pool - so it stays clean (without the sun helps me as well!).
why did you break it down? How long was it up? Looks cool
Old 04/25/2006, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Re: until

Quote:
Originally posted by imbuggin
until some kid pees in your reef
Funny you say that because the LFS I mention hired a day laborer to do some work the they caught the guy peeing in the 30foot lagoon style tank.
Old 04/25/2006, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LFS_worker
what is the life expectancy of the double layer pond liner?

now my gears are grinding!

Brian
I believe its over 20 years, and it is rated for saltwater.
Old 04/25/2006, 11:01 AM
Premium Member

Make sure to cover the side of the liner from the sun or the UV will start cracking the liner. As long as the liner is under water its okay for a long time.
Old 04/25/2006, 02:17 PM
Moved On

For the shop stingray lagoon we used the 45 mil liner (doubled up) but we also layered 2 levels of padding around it before we laid it down. We also used pressure treated wood with 4x4 spacers. It bent out a bit after filling (1/2 inch) but that was expected. It is rated for saltwater and without a puncture should last a long, long time. The pool was broken down because they wanted their pool back for the summer...I know...I had the same thoughts you guys are at the time. We put so much work into it and made a little "ocean of our own" and to tear it down was heartbreaking to say the least. We did get free stingrays out of the deal though...
Old 04/26/2006, 01:38 AM
Registered Member

If you don't mind me asking, What neighborhood was that in?

Thanks,

Tim
Old 04/26/2006, 06:53 AM
Moved On

Sorry Tim...no can do (per request of the previous owners). Happy Birthday Sunday!
Old 04/26/2006, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raskal311
I believe its over 20 years, and it is rated for saltwater.
REMARKABLE!!!!!! THANKS!!!!

hmmmmmmmmmmm.... convincing the wife now THAT is the real challenge.

brian
Old 04/27/2006, 07:17 AM
Registered Member

Hmmmm. In some cases it's more like a hurdle than a challenge.
Old 04/27/2006, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

Just tell her your building a swiming pool and add salt water in the last moment.
Old 04/27/2006, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Back to the part about the cost... I have seen a 900 gallon tank in a LFS that was reportedly over 100k. That was with a tank that would withstand an earthquake and had lots of corals but still now your talking about a pool it would be awsome but i think the price would be over 50k.
Old 04/27/2006, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Well, one comparison comes to mind: spa tubs. I know these things come with swiss cheese bottoms for all the water jets, but I would bet it wouldn't cost anywhere near 50K to get one with just a few holes for returns etc. I guess you'd just have to approach a reseller/distributor to see if a mfr would do it.

Man, can the mind wander at work!
Old 04/27/2006, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

Not only that but with a few tweaks to the power of the pump and that could create some great flow and they sometimes spin around which gives you almost a wave effect if you set it up right. Also the return would be easy because with most hot tubs or with mine it has an overflow like system where the water drops down and then gets fed back to the pump and there is plenty of room for a fuge. Now that I think about it we never use ours that might be a good idea just fiber-glass over the holes in the bottom.
Old 04/27/2006, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Just don't tell your wife where you got the idea. You're not that far away.
Old 04/27/2006, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

the only problem would be lighting the tub i guess you could use the greenhouse and hang lights from that but the only way that I would be able to view it is from the top with a snorkel mask unless I did some major changes to the tub but that would have the ultimate flow for a tank. I bet that it would keep heat pretty well because it has foam surrounding the tank. I still like the inground pool idea a lot better but it would be a lot to heat it and keep it at a steady temperature.
Old 04/28/2006, 08:20 AM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

Allright I think I have convinced myself to start moving foward with a saltwater 'coi' style pond in my backyard. I am going to use pond liner for the bottom and mainly airlifts for circulation. I am just starting the planning phase of this. So if anyone has any advice or opinions please feel free to voice them.

I have a few concerns:

How deep should I make it? Our frost line is less than 12 inches and it rarely stays below freezing for more than a night.

Summer heat: Geothermal Loop? Shade Cloth?

I would like to add some type of surge device to the pond to give it a kinda wave action. I am totally unfamiliar with these devices. Is there a controler or something that controls the release of water? Where would I go about getting one of these?
Old 04/28/2006, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

I my opinion, no more than two feet deep. Maybe a geothermal loop at three feet for cooling in the summer. You will probably need a gas heater for the winter though. Build a green house around the pond to keep the heat inside.

As for flow, how about some kind of close loop system run by an external pump?
Old 04/29/2006, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

Go deep or go home remember you have the sun for light so a 2 feet deep tank will have problems with evap and over heating, got to mention too much lighting. My pond is 4 feet deep and that thing gets warm and evep like a mother during the summer.
Old 05/01/2006, 03:51 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

Yeah, I figured heat would be my main enemy. I really don't think 3' deep geothermal would do much down here in steamy south georgia. As for circulation I was going to use airlifts b/c of electrical expenses and pump maintenance.

On the 4' deep pond have you ever measured the temp at the bottom of the pond during the hottest part of the day?
Old 05/02/2006, 07:08 PM
Premium Member

make a freshwater pond first and see if you can maintain that for a year or two. much easier that maintaining salt concentrations. much less water flow, temperature control would be a nightmare. i don't think you could do it without a horrendous monthly bill.

i have a 20,000 gallon pond for my koi, it isn't cheap and i don't have to add salt with every 10% water change.

my pond is 4-9 feet deep. with water circulation it is the same temp thoughout. stratification is not an isssue, but heat loss would be. koi keepers in climates like yours spend $100's a month just to keep the pond 50 degrees.

Carl
Old 05/03/2006, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

No worries,
We had some friends in both Isleworth and Lake Nona that had done that set up and was curious if you were the one that did the work.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 05/03/2006, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

This is the coolest thread I have looked at in a long time! WOOOO! I love the ideas here. I am SO going to do that when I get out of school.

And think ... you could probably have a lot of success breeding fish that couldn't be bred in small(er) tanks ... So that could be a continuing source of money to offset the price a small amount.
Old 05/03/2006, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

put your tank outside for a year and see how much fun it is to maintain. or get a show tank used for koi. they come in 6-10 foot diameters. that could give you an idea of the work and problems involved. or an above ground swimming pool can be had pretty cheap. try maintaining one of those with salt water. talk to the currator at the public aquarium.

i know why those people gave up after only a few months. too hard to maintain. with the light bioload they had they could probably get away with it for a few months without a water change.

check out the outside "pond" reef system at the Waikiki aqaurium. they have a perfect climate and natural sea water for water changes.

Carl
Old 05/03/2006, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

make it so you can snorkel in the pool... that would be nice.