Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > North Central Pennsylvania Aquarium Reef Society (NCPARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/18/2006, 01:44 PM
Moved On

LFS near Scranton?

Any good stores near Scranton, PA? Will be there for a few days and wouldnt mind shopping around and maybe picking up some supplies as well.

Thanks!
Old 04/18/2006, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

the only store I know of is Aquatic dreams, but I don't if they are any good
Old 04/19/2006, 11:36 AM
Premium Member

I just tried to go there and I think Aquatic Dreams closed.

There's DC pet for live rock and some inverts.

My reccomendation is Pet Zone in Pittston they're good for Fish and Corals. (Tell them John told you about them).

And there's Pet City in Edwardsville. They're kinda whacked with their prices but sometimes they have interesting stuff.
Old 04/19/2006, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

I wm pretty sure that Pet City is closed. Atleast I know the ones in Bloomsburg and Williamsport are.
Old 04/19/2006, 03:49 PM
Delaware Valley Reef Club

Is fin, feather and fur in Edwardsville still around? I remeber that store being GROSS when I was a kid..

Prop&Save!
...Sure don't know what I'm going for, but I'm gonna go for it for sure...
Old 04/19/2006, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

Oh god no.. that place closed quite a while back... Thankfully..

Shimmy-> No they consolidated all of the stores to Edwardsville.
Old 04/20/2006, 02:22 AM
Registered Member

Ahh alright thanks for filling me in. I thoought since they could no longer sell dogs they went totally under but I guess not.
Old 04/22/2006, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

LFS in Scranton:

Aquatic Dreams - used to be on Greenridge Ave, moved to Keyser Ave, not far from Allied Rehab. It is now located in a strip mall in the same store as a locksmith. Easy to miss. I prefered the old store. I haven't been there in six months or more, so it is possible that they closed, but I would be surprised, since the owner is also the locksmith. They had some decent stuff, tended to be a bit pricy, but seemed to care about the livestock.

Petco -enough said

DC pets - cheap, but scary, questionable care.

Outside of Scranton:
Pet Zone in Pittston - pretty decent last time I was there. Seemed to care about livestock.

Peg leg Pete's near Carbondale, primarily deals with parrots, but had a small but well kept and cared for salt water area. Storefront is attached to home. In the middle of nowhere, but the owner had a beautiful personal tank which he enjoys showing. I haven't been there for over a year. The owners were having health issues at my last visit, check to make sure they are still open.

Hope that helps
Old 04/23/2006, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Aquatic Dreams closed about 4 months ago.

Quote:
Originally posted by poconofishy
LFS in Scranton:

Aquatic Dreams - used to be on Greenridge Ave, moved to Keyser Ave, not far from Allied Rehab. It is now located in a strip mall in the same store as a locksmith. Easy to miss. I prefered the old store. I haven't been there in six months or more, so it is possible that they closed, but I would be surprised, since the owner is also the locksmith. They had some decent stuff, tended to be a bit pricy, but seemed to care about the livestock.

Petco -enough said

DC pets - cheap, but scary, questionable care.

Outside of Scranton:
Pet Zone in Pittston - pretty decent last time I was there. Seemed to care about livestock.

Peg leg Pete's near Carbondale, primarily deals with parrots, but had a small but well kept and cared for salt water area. Storefront is attached to home. In the middle of nowhere, but the owner had a beautiful personal tank which he enjoys showing. I haven't been there for over a year. The owners were having health issues at my last visit, check to make sure they are still open.

Hope that helps
Old 04/23/2006, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

There is a new shop in Luzerne thats just sells fish and supplies. Its called Oceans Window. The owners name is Jim, a real nice guy. The addy is 188 Main St, Luzerne.
Old 04/25/2006, 05:11 PM
Premium Member

Just got back from Ocean's Window. Nice place, they have a small coral setup going and some inverts. The people are real enthusiasts. Very down to earth. I hope they do well. I can't imagine how hard it is to start up in the industry like that.

Good luck to them... Maybe I might bump into some other RCers down there sometime.
Old 04/25/2006, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

I live 5 mins from Jim's shop. I have dealt with him before he opened the shop. He is real nice people. Everything in the store is DIY except the actual tanks. His price are of the hook low too.
Old 04/26/2006, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Nice to meet you Dr4g0nf1y. This is jim meet you today at the store. I have attached a online coupon to this post I hope it is ok to do so. It just our way at oceanswindow to give the people a way to get more affordable fish/corls and verts. Thanks again Reef_Dweller_69 for the mention of the store.
Attached Files
File Type: doc bring this in and show it to.doc (20.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 04/30/2006, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Peg Leg Pete's is closed. Great people, great stuff. The are my neighbors. Woman was in an auto accident, not her fault. It severely limited her ability to keep up with all the maintenance of the tanks and hand feed parrots. Shame.