Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/12/2006, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

Unhappy With much sadness and regret...

... I'm going to be getting out of reefkeeping for awhile.

I'm getting married July 1st, and Kelley and I are closing on a house in 3 weeks. I'm also going to have to move twice in the next two months. (My stupid apartments want an UNGODLY amount to extend my current lease, which expires June 5th, to July 1st, so I'm going to stay with a friend for that time.) Money is disappearing from both of our bank accounts at record pace as we are also paying for parts of our wedding, rings, and all those little fees and stuff that come with a new house and bleed you to death. Never mind we need a refrigerator, lawnmower, and bed!

I just won't have (and actually haven't had for a few months now) the time, money, and energy to devote to my reef. I've tried like heck to come to the last few meets, but something always comes up... realtor calls to go see something, church function, and Kelley about to lose it with all the stress she's under. Her parents are real buttholes and are making everything very hard on her. She's the first one pretty much ever to leave their crappy little town, and they're just freakin' out. They make her feel guilty for every choice she makes, yadda yadda yadda. They're the best reason yet for the invention of the 357 Mag. (I'm not a little mad or anything! )

I need to get as much out of the tank and its equipment and inhabitants as I can. I'd love to just give all of this stuff to all you guys who have helped me, but I need to turn it into at least some money. I think I may have something lined up for my corals and livestock, but I've still got the tank, stand and lights to sell, as well as some live rock, maxi-jets and a large CPS Aquafuge PS. I'll post more over the next few days.

Anyways, I just want to say THANKS! to everyone in the club. You guys are awesome! Special thanks to Angela, Chris, and Gary. I hope maybe in a few years I can start up again, and maybe not waste so much money next time! (yea, RIGHT!)
Old 04/12/2006, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

I am interested in some live rock and maybe some of the maxi-jets. Please PM me sometime and hopefully we can work something out.

Terry
Old 04/12/2006, 11:31 AM
Beer King

Congrats. Check your pm
Old 04/12/2006, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Wow, didn't expect so much so fast! (I got a few PMs, too!)

I've got about 50-60 pounds of rock, and I'd like to get $4.50/lb for it. I've had a few requests for the rock, so it will be first come frist served, and here is the order (I went by the time posted, either PM or in a reply)
1: tmcghee
2: eyebedam
3: ocd_mariner

I've also had someone ask about lights. They're mounted in the hood of the tank (this is fishdoc's old setup, which has worked great!) with an external ballast mounted in the stand. They are 4x110watt 48" VHOs, two super white, two Actinic blue. I don't remember the exact color temps. I got the bulbs with Mimi from hellolights.com about 6 months ago, if I remember correctly. I run a relatively short cycle (about 9 hours a day) so there's plenty of life left in them. I'd really like to sell the tank, stand and lights together if possible, since they all match and work so well together. (And I don't really want to take the stuff apart) The back of the tank is painted blue as well. Here's a pic from right after set-up roughly 10 months ago. I've added some more rock, about 25 pieces of coral, and some of the corals are pretty huge, but this is the general idea:

I'd like to get $400 for the tank, lights, and stand. If no one will take the setup, then I guess I've got to part out.
If I do have to part out, eyebedam is first in line on lights.
Old 04/12/2006, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

Waynesworld has first dibs on all of my corals and livestock, but whatever is leftover is up for sale, with eyebedam next in line.

For fish, all I have is:
Three Bar gobies ($12 ea, 3 for $30)
Two Neon Gobies ( $7 ea)
One Firefish ($12) This is my favorite fish, and the first I ever bought. His name is Stan. He's really cool, and absolutely gorgeous. He's the main reason why giving up this tank is so hard for me.

I have two red brittle stars. They're pretty big now and are some of the most interesting inhabitants I've got. (These are the kind that WON'T hurt your fish!) These have been absolute angels in my tank, having never caused any problems with coral, fish, or anything. $8 ea

I gotta step out for a minute... I 'll get back with more.

I've got 3-4 Peppermint shrimp. These HAVE bothered my ricordea. I moved my rics to another small tank, but couldn't get good lighting for them and they're almost gone now. Otherwise, the shrimp are great. $2 ea.

Snails: I guess I may have about 20 of varying natures. $.50 ea
Old 04/12/2006, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

About timing.... I'd like to sell all of this stuff in the weeks between April 17th and May 5th. I work an office job 9-5 Mo-Fr, and am at church basically all day Sunday and on Wednesday night, so that basically leaves most weeknights and Saturday to meet.

Obviously, I need to sell the inhabitants before I can sell the equipment!

I'd really like it if I could sell the corals first, then the rock and livestock. It will be nigh impossible to catch fish in the delicate coral setup that has grown up in my tank!
Old 04/12/2006, 01:01 PM
Premium Member

Hate to hear you're getting out, but the affairs of state take precedence over the affairs of state (sorry for the poetic lisence on Blazing Saddles). We hope to see you again once you get settled in.
Old 04/12/2006, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

I'll take your snails and give your firefish a decent home James. Your red serpents as well.
Old 04/12/2006, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

I also have a Large (4.6 gallon capacity) CPR AquaFuge PS with the nice aluminum cased 18 watt PC light & stand. While this is pretty pointless for denitrification (not enough sandbed) it's absolutely GREAT for growing cheato if you can't run another sump or anything! I really believe that growing cheato is one of the best things for a tank. Results were almost immediate in algae reduction, etc. Granted, people say it leads to high nitrates because of the detritus it builds up, but the stuff grows so fast (I leave the light on 24/7) that you have to pull half of it out every week anyways! I do my water change at the same time, and simply shake the clump I want to keep in the water I'm getting rid of, and voila!

This is the fuge that also had the skimmer, and it's the only skimmer I use, actually! It's super easy (uses a maxijet1200, included) to figure out. Of course, it takes a few tries to find the sweetspot, but once you do, it produces nice, thick skimmate from my tank at about 2/3 cup a day.

They're $230 new from premiumaquatics, WITHOUT a light. I don't remember exactly how much the light was, I think about $60, plus $15 for the acrylic stands. Anways, that's basically $300 new. Mine has been in use for just about a year, and is still in great shape. There is some coralline growth in it, but that's all. No cracks, scratches, whatever.

I'd like $180 for it.
Again, eyebedam is first in line.
Thanks!
Old 04/12/2006, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Man MM! I was just thinking of you last night! I will gladly give stan a home! And the 2 red stars if WW doesn't want them. Still got the PH moniter you bought?
Glad the wedding is comming together and just remind Kelley the part about "leaving mother and father and cleaving as ONE" Your and her happiness should be her first priority. Medalling inlaws can be hard. They should be sad she is leaving them but happy for her none the less. You are gonna be a great hubby! Hope it sells fast for ya!

Don't judge me because I can't spell. I use my brain space for more important things, like thinking of a fancy user name
Old 04/12/2006, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

Man people are posting faster than I can type! No fair!

Don't judge me because I can't spell. I use my brain space for more important things, like thinking of a fancy user name
Old 04/12/2006, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

Dibs orders:

Bar Gobies: Waynesworld, eyebedam
Neon Gbies: Wayneworld, eyebedam
Stan: Waynesworld, ebedam, Daniel, Angela
Red Brittles: Wayneworld, eyebedam, Daniel, Angela
Snails: Wayneworld, eyebedam, Daniel
Peppermints: Waynesworld, eyebedam
Old 04/12/2006, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

No fair, I was writing while everyone else was posting! J/K Thats what I get for getting a D- - in typing. Yes thats a - - the teacher didn't want to give me a F. Glad you are getting a great responce. This is a great looking tank!

Old 04/12/2006, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone! I didn't expect so much interest, especially with all the other setups already for sale! I really appreciate it!

I'm going to do my very best to keep this all fair and not hurt anyone's feelings. As we've seen before, though sometimes things may get looked over inadvertently and someone may not get what they want. Please know that I'm trying my best to keep this all fair and make everyone happy. BUT, I'm probably the farthest from perfect here. So please, I beg forgiveness in advance for hurting anyone's feelings in this process. I'm going to make every effort to be in contact with people and get things done right.

Thanks again. You guys prove every day how great a club this is.
Old 04/12/2006, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

so basically all that is left is the rock and tank setup?
Old 04/12/2006, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

The aquafuge, someone was in the market for one recently on here I think.

MM I still want that 1/2 box of salt I never got awhile back if you still have it.

Old 04/12/2006, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, update on dibs:

Rock: tmcghee, ocd_mariner
Aquafuge: unspoken for so far

Tank, stand and lights: unspoken for so far (again, I'd like these to go all together for $400. If they don't, I may part out, then eyebedam gets first shot at the lights)

Thanks!

Oh yea, Angela, I still have your salt. Come 'n Get it!
Old 04/12/2006, 09:55 PM
#-_#-_ B _-#_-#

Musicman...sorry to hear you leaving. I was probably the one in the market for the aquafuge. Until I upgrade to a real saltwater set-up with an overflow and a sump (in the semi-near future from the looks of it), I felt like I definitely needed one. Of course, I went out and bought one about two weeks ago because they seemed to be in high demand anywhere I looked on here (high prices and not many available). Now of course you're offering up a real good deal (surprising it isn't moving compared to other prices I've seen) and of course I can't take it. Sorry, and good luck with it.

Brian

"I want to be like captain kirk
get up every day and love to go to work
don't want to be like mr. spock
want to kick out the jams and rock the block"

-Bob Schneider
Old 04/12/2006, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

OK, for the powerheads: if someone already asked for them, please let me know. I thought somebody did, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Anyways, I've got
1 MJ400 $8
1 MJ500 $8
1 MJ600 $8
1 MJ900 $10 spf, nashvegas
2 MJ1200s $12 ea

I've also got one of those nice Won Bros. Titanium heaters w/external thermostat and temp probe, a 100 watter. $15
I know, it seems like low wattage for a 55g tank, but these are much more efficient and faster to warm up the water. I never had the gas heat turned on in my apartment this winter because gas is so high, all I had were two space heaters. (And my electric bill never went over $70/month! SWEET!) It would sometimes get down to 67 degrees in my apartment, but my tank never went under 79 derees, even at night with the lights out.

Last edited by musicman; 04/12/2006 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04/12/2006, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

I'll take the mj900 for my friend.
Old 04/12/2006, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

Hey Nashvegas, you live at the Villa Adrian apts right off rFranklin rd, right? I work 2 minutes away and can drop it off to you tomorrow on my lunch break or after work if you want. Just lemme know. I'll bring it with me tomorrow.
Thanks!
Old 04/13/2006, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

ok sounds good my ..pm sent
Old 04/13/2006, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

DMBillies has dibs on the MJ1200s

Acecool has dibs on the AquafugePS
Old 04/13/2006, 11:18 AM
Beer King

if billes backs out ill take the 1200.s
Old 04/13/2006, 02:09 PM
Hmpfh! No more potlucks.

Darn! I am too slow for the neon gobies!!

Good luck with your getting married and moving. Parents can make life hell sometimes!