Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/23/2006, 09:25 AM
Premium Member

Mask for ~$100

Hiya,

So I took my Classes this winter at a local dive shop (classroom and pool training), I hope to do my open water test once the ice is out of the lake up here. Was fortunate to rent/borrow equipment for the classes, but the staff suggested I start acquiring my own gear in time for the open water test.

So, B-day's coming up, and I got a 100-clams w/ strict instructions to spend it on myself.

So, can I get a decent mask for 100-bucks? I've got a friend or two that are big in the hobby, and the mask they suggested definitely trying on the exact unit before buying, so I'm definitely purchasing this thing from my local dive shop. While I'd be interested in links for sites w/ cheap dive gear, this purchase at least, I'm going to make at that shop. They usually charge "list" from what my dive friends tell me, so I'm expecting the price to be on the high side (but it is a real nice shop, nice pool, and I'm doing my open water w/ them in a few months, so... I don't mind buying a couple things from them at inflated prices).

Thanks for your input.

- Mac
Old 03/23/2006, 10:33 AM
Premium Member

Friends... you have friends???

Your welcome to try my mask.

ri
Old 03/23/2006, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

LOL! Nah, I told Dave I'd take over the zoo tank from him if he let me borrow a set of flippers for the week.
Thanks! I'll likely head up to the Dive Center in Henriettta, and try on everything on the rack that's under $100 bucks. Go from there!

- Mac
Old 03/23/2006, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

Mac there are a lot of different masks out there for that money. I use a scubapro frameless and my back-up mask is exactly the same. If I lost one of them I would go purchase another just like these. I think they have re-designed it slightly, but its still a wonderful, low volume mask. It does make my nose a little sore on really long dives, but I like it still.
I also use a seavision mask sometimes when I am in the outside pools on really bright days. The red lenses are sorta like sunglasses for underwater. It is a comfy mask as well but I dont think the color correction helps much at depth.
It boils down to personal issues like the shape of your face, volume and amount of 'windows' you want. My local diveshop will let people purchase a mask and if they decide they dont like it after a few dives, they can exchange it for the full amount paid or trade it for a different one.
Old 03/23/2006, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

The shop I work through will go over and beyond when it comes to equipment purchases. Sometimes the owner will let you make a dive or two with the stuff you are interested in before you buy it. (not just a mask, but BC's, fins, suits as well)
We also try to bring an assortment of masks, snorkles and fins to class so you have the chance to actually use the stuff and see if you like it before you buy it.
Old 03/23/2006, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Glove. The shop I took my classes at was really cool too, so that's part of the reason I want to send them my business (at least for this purchase, we'll see how it goes). I'll take a look at the ScubaPro's. I had borrowed a frameless from my friend, and it worked OK, but I had a little leaking around the sides, and my nose got sore too. The other one I tried using was more traditional, 2 panes, and I didn't like the 'split vision' thing at all... but I can see getting used to it over time. Felt it gave me a little more periphereal vision vs. the frameless.

So a quality frameless mask should be in the ballpark? I hear the 'frameless' are newer/nicer than the 2-pane one's.

- Mac
Old 03/23/2006, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Mac its personal preference. I like the frameless due to the low volume / ease of clearing. If you like to look down and side to side, maybe even up- you can get masks with many lenses- I just dont like em. I do alot of underwater work and the extra volume on some masks makes it more likely to get banged or caught on something.
The most important thing is how it feels on you / to you. If it dont fit well, dont buy it. You know how to test fit, right?
(pull the strap back and stick the mask on your face, slightly inhale through your nose and see if you notice any leks around the seals)
Supporting your local dive store and not makeing online purchases really does help the local economy too. Tough thing is to find a shop that cares about you, not your money.
Old 03/29/2006, 06:29 AM
Registered Member

I use a TUSA xpert mask, these were $120 in the shop, but they had a sale on and i got mine for $40. I recommend them.
Old 03/31/2006, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

I'm a week late here, but my 2 cents on mask shopping:

When you go shopping, take a snorkle or regulator mouthpiece with you. I've bought a couple of masks that fit fine in the store, but they leak a lot when I put my regulator in my mouth.

Also consider replacing the rubber strap with an aftermarket version; they're more comfortable and less likely to break. Keep the original strap in your kit just in case...
Old 03/31/2006, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Corruptor
When you go shopping, take a snorkle or regulator mouthpiece with you. I've bought a couple of masks that fit fine in the store, but they leak a lot when I put my regulator in my mouth.
Huh, good to know! I don't have my regulator yet, but I'm sure they've got one I can 'fit' with.

- Mac
Old 04/02/2006, 08:54 PM
Premium Member

I like the Scuba Pro frameless, bu the scubamax framelss is supposed to be identacle. Ive also tried the new Atomic frameless, nice! SP and Atomics both around $100, Scuba max is about half price.
Old 04/10/2006, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

i use an oceanic prism and my backup is a mares seta.

i am going to get one of the atomic masks and dump my oceanic in the near future, but the seta is an awesome backup mask.

the oceanic is fairly low volume, fits fine with a reg in the mouth. don't know about a snorkel, i haven't owned one in 10 years. I also would recommend upgrading the strap to a non-rubber model.

halcyon also makes a nice one if you want to start down that path, but i am too invested in diverite to ride that train.
Old 04/11/2006, 04:43 AM
Premium Member

LOL! Thanks.. but what do you mean by 'ride that train'? Are the parts to either system not interchangeable? It's looking more and more like I won't be getting the mask afterall... the boy needs a dresser. Oh well, he'll likely get more use out of that, than me a mask! Who knows though, coming up on 1 year w/ the new employer, maybe he'll have a surprise for me. If only I could get the local dive shop to print w/ us... we have LOTS of trade accounts.

- Mac
Old 04/11/2006, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

the stuff is interchangeable, but some folks like to go a single brand with their stuff, so the replacement costs on prefectly good stuff just to swap out manufacturers is too much for me.
Old 04/11/2006, 08:10 AM
Premium Member

Gee, I don't know anyone here who goes with a single brand to the point of dumping perfectly good equipment just to make it all match. I even use gear that's sold by different shops locally, so I have to go two different places to get my annual service done.

-Mark
Old 04/11/2006, 08:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maractwin
I even use gear that's sold by different shops locally, so I have to go two different places to get my annual service done.

-Mark
I got sick of doing that, so I dumped all of my first stages and bought 3 new ones, service kits and specialty tools. Service is now performed in my basement.
Old 04/11/2006, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

I've been through the training for one of my regs. That means I better understand how it works and may be able to do emergency field repairs. But I haven't invested in the specialty tools or service kits because working on it myself would void the warranty. I suppose I could take their test to become a factory authorized repairman too.

One of the brands I use is Atomic, which has a two-year service instead of annual. That saves me some money and effort.

-Mark
Old 04/11/2006, 03:06 PM
Premium Member

Hmm... good food for thought, thanks!
The Dive shop I took my courses at said some customer's pick their gear by 'color', and wether it matches their swimsuit or not.
I'm fat and married, couldn't care less what I look like, I wanna get wet!

- Mac
Old 04/12/2006, 11:27 PM
Premium Member

Certain regs lend themselves to be easily serviced at home, other don't. Most of the Scubapro call for so damn many specialty tools its rediculous! I am an authorized SP service tech, I'm waiting for my new tanks for doubles to show up, and the next set of regs I'm buying is Apeks. The workhorse DS4 lend themselves to easy repairs. DiveRite is some good gear at a very reasonable price (I don't like their harness for backplate or transpack for '06 though) Halcyon is good quality but way overpriced (just my opinion) and it comes with the stigma of being a DIR diver. I think they have some great concepts and reasonings, but the attitude of some of the online wannabees is staggering! And I'm so sick of hearing "Is this mask strap or that wetsuit bootie DIR compliant?
Old 04/13/2006, 05:11 AM
Premium Member

LOL! I don't even know what DIR compliant means, so I guess I won't worry 'bout that one.

- Mac
Old 04/15/2006, 07:23 PM
Rare Zoa-a-phile

I have a bigger face (I'm 6'4") and I use a Mares X Vision. Retail is around $100 but I got mine from scubatoys.com for like $50 IIRC. Great with a regulator and a snorkel. Only mask I need anymore, very comfortable, phenomenal field of vision. My $.02.
Old 04/15/2006, 07:46 PM
Premium Member

Thanks staninct. I'm 6'4" too, so I'll definitely look that model up!

- Mac
Old 04/19/2006, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

If I can be of any assistance, let me know. The mask I have is the same as the poster above you. The mask fits me real well and I'm pretty happy with it. Its the one I like the most out of the 4 or 5 I have. I guess it fits a wide variety of people because you know how huge I am.

PS. You already paid a fortune for your certification from a certain LDS, dont feel obligated to blow your wad there.
Old 04/19/2006, 08:16 AM
Premium Member

LOL! My word, the things that turn up when you go to another forum... That you?

- Mac
Old 04/19/2006, 08:25 AM
Registered Member