Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/27/2006, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Alternate food sources

Hello all,Ive heard alot of different foods people feed their triggers.I wanna ask of you all what do you feed your triggers.What foods do you recommend?Where do you get these other foods besides LFS??Im curious I wanna grow a big healthy Niger Trigger.Thankx for all your help!
Old 03/27/2006, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

I have a niger trigger, he was about 2 inches when I got him , now he is about 4 inches now. He eats about anything I put in there, I like to give him a viriety of formula one pellets, plankton, krill, and frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms, and mysis shrimp from my local fish store.
Old 03/28/2006, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

Thankx steveboo,IM trying to research some alternate food sources I could maybe pick up at grocery store? The closest lfs is about 2 hours from me.Any ideas will be greatly appreciated,Thankx all
Old 03/28/2006, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

i buy frozen uncooked shrimp at the market ,my huma loves it ,i buy a couple of big one and cut a hunk of and chop it up and mix it with the other food (trigger formula ,mysis ,clam ,squid ) and he gobbles it up ! he still won't eat the mysis though
Old 03/29/2006, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

I feed mine shrimp from the grocery store. I also feed krill and formula 1 frozzen cubes. You could also use cut fish from the store, clam meat, squid, and crab meat. also soak your food in vitamins for a hour or two before you feed it. Hope this helps.
James.
Old 03/29/2006, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

I go to the supermarket and whatever raw, fresh, wild fish or shellfish they have, gets chopped into small pieces and fed to my fish. anything from dover sole to raw tuna to scallops to calamari steaks. Some like some things better than others, but everything gets eaten.
Old 03/29/2006, 03:06 PM
840>420

Old 03/29/2006, 03:07 PM
840>420

sorry for the multiple posts
Old 03/29/2006, 03:07 PM
840>420

ive kept a niger, sargassum, blue throat, clown, humu, whitetip, undulated, and R. bursa. ive successfully fed them many things including krill, shrimp, kalamari, octopus, muscles, clams, shelled cockels, angel formula (made up of sponge), mysis/brine spirolina, spirolina flake, new life pellots, and other smaller pellots i have.
all my fish love nori soaked in garlic for about 20 mins also!

right now im housing a clown trigger, humu trigger, emperor angel, fiji puffer, and snowflake eel together... the only reason i feed the brine/mysis is because the angel loves it.

changing it up as much as possible is best for fish.
Old 03/29/2006, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Thankx everyone for your information,its very helpful.I was also wondering what type of liquid vitamins you all recomend??Also what about greens?Like is it beneficial to feed lettuce,or other leafy types of food?Thankx for all your input,this site has a terrific community!!