Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/03/2006, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

Question cyclop-eeze

I heard that this was really good food for fish and corals. I have some soft corals and one Hammer Coral. Two Clowns, Yellow Tang, and Lawnmower Blenny. There are so many varaties that I don't know which to buy. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Sally
Old 03/03/2006, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

i buy the red sticks of mush that come frozen. pretty versitile and works for me
Old 03/03/2006, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

I use the frozen as well. I first used the freeze dried, and IME the frozen is a hundred times better. Fish and corals go nuts over the stuff.
Old 03/03/2006, 08:35 PM
Master of Funk

I second the frozen stick.

Unwrap, wave in the tank for a couple seconds & watch everything go crazier than a bus load of fat people at a buffet.
Old 03/03/2006, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Thanks a LOT for the reply!!
I will go with the frozen.

Sally
Old 03/03/2006, 10:17 PM
10-08 the Desk

IMO flakes and pellets add more waste to the water than they are worth. Use Live, fresh, or frozen foods.
Old 03/03/2006, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

OK, where can I buy it. I can only finf freeze dried.

Thanks,
Sally
Old 03/03/2006, 10:59 PM
10-08 the Desk

Most LFS have the smaller bars. Online they have the big one:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/FrozenFo...07/Detail.aspx
Old 03/05/2006, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Anemonebuff
IMO flakes and pellets add more waste to the water than they are worth. Use Live, fresh, or frozen foods.
I'm curious as to where one can find the justification for this statement.
I could see maybe after testing, some food may have a lot of fill, but that is a pretty blanket statement to make.
I use a standard spirulina flake that truly isn't all spirulina, (most spirulina flake is not) that is my main feed for all my tanks (totaling 590g) and have another flake that is 95% spirulina I use for specific feeding and for gut loading brine shrimp. Frozen foods I use include brine shrimp, blood worms, mysis and ocean plankton.
I'm sure that if it was a problem I would be having algae problems galore, as my systems are merely bare bottom Berlin style, with no filtration other than the live rock and skimmer, and, I use no clean up crew.
Old 03/05/2006, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

My 2 cents, when I tried the freeze dried cyclops, it is harder to sink and can easily get pulled into the overflow box. With the frozen I break off with my hands and introduce it to the tank in front of a powerhead. It is my number one food.
Old 03/05/2006, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

cyclopeeze

Flake food won't go into the overflow if you turn the return pump off first.

I have flake cyclopeeze and other tasties in my automatic feeder, and also feed frozen cyclopeeze a couple times a week.

Jon
Old 03/07/2006, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

These seem to be awful small for Fish Food. I can see where the filter feeders would love it.
Old 03/07/2006, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

it is tiny, but fish of all flavors go nuts for the stuff! many have called it a "crackstick".

Old 03/07/2006, 05:51 PM
Strictly a Novice

I used to keep a bag in the freezer and ocassionally throw leftover raw seafood (shrimp, scallop, fish, squid) in there. When you get a cup or 2, add some spirulina and some miscellaneous dried seaweed (nori, wakame, dulse, etc). Perhaps some brine shrimp if you have some kicking around. Then pop it all in the blender or a small 'mr chopper' or something and turn it into a fairly fine paste. Fill up a tray or 2 of mini-icecubes and voila. Fishy feast.
Old 03/07/2006, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

I see the big block in the link supplied above......Are you just cutting strips of this to feed? Or are you dunking the whole thing each feeding?