Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/22/2006, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

How do I get them to stay put?

How can I get frogspawn and torch to stay put. I have been told I can superglue them, how do I do this. Take the rock and the coral out of the tank?? Please help. They are getting knocked around from my snails..
Old 02/22/2006, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

how big are the snails? and how big are the frags?
Old 02/22/2006, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

The snails are turbo snails about 1 1/2 inches big. The torch isn't a frag, it has 4 tubes, the frogspawn is a one tube frag.
Old 02/22/2006, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

I use this 2 part epoxy that you mix up and stick them together I stick them together under the water, but I can't say I am totally happy with my results but after 2-3 tries it works pretty well.
Old 02/22/2006, 09:28 PM
10-08 the Desk

Two part epoxy or a really good wedge.
Old 02/22/2006, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

I use epoxy also. It took me a while, but I finally got it down to a science. The first 10 or so corals that I glued in ended up not sticking, and would fall sporadically. The trick is to make a BIG ball of epoxy, don't skimp. make it so that it's about 1/2" thick when stretched out to cover the base of the coral. Then super glue the epoxy to the coral, then put super glue on the bottom of the epoxy and gently press the coral and epoxy in place. Heres a picture of an acro that I did like this. It might look like a lot of putty, but it blends in relatively soon. The Montipora in this picture was done the same way. It's growing sideways so the putty is below it. You can see how it blends in with time. There are some other pics in my gallery that show some of the putty/glue set up.
Old 02/23/2006, 05:58 AM
Mortar Target

After using about 12-15 tubes of superglue gel trying to get frags to stick to the rock only to be bulldozed by turbo snails, I went with the 2 part epoxy. Deltec sells it for about $20 for enough for 30 frags or so. Little pricey, but glueing the same frags over and over got pretty old. I haven't had one fall off since.
Old 02/23/2006, 06:17 AM
Registered Member

Smile eproxy

I use eproxy, and I must admit it's good stuff, makes a mess of ya fingers mixing the stuff together though ) The stuff I've got dries the same colour as coraline.