Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/13/2006, 10:41 AM
Premium Member

Aqua Medic T5/MH for 90 gallon

I'm about to push the button on ordereing this light. Thought I'd ask first - is there anything better in the ~$630 price range? I'm going for Clams & SPS. Don't want to buld a canopy at this point so retro's are out. I thought about doing a couple pendants but for the price this light seems like a great deal.
Old 02/13/2006, 10:42 AM
Premium Member

Forgot the link:
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=AQ1831
Old 02/13/2006, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

I am about to buy one too, id like to hear some opinions, also does anyone know if there is tank mounting or wall mounting brackets(I saw a wall mount for other models but not sure if it will work for this one) available for this haning it from the ceiling is not an option
Old 02/13/2006, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

While I'm asking, what would 400w's do on a 90? Too much? Seems like heat would be a problem but...if money's not a concern, what's the better choice?
Old 02/13/2006, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

I'm waiting to hit the click button on a 36" version of this light. I back and forth emailed premium aquatics about this light last month. Unfortunately Aqua Medic had a fire in their warehouse at the end of December. I know that Premium dropships these lights from the Aqua Medic warehouse and they told me that it would be until around the end of February that stock would be back to normal. You guys may want to consult with whomever you intend to order through to check for availability.

I also have a thread asking about this combo with some helpful answers.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=742935

Hope that helps
Old 02/13/2006, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

is the Aqua Medic 2 x 250W fixture really loud? Can I replace the ballasts to make it quieter? Is it that difficult changing the bulbs?
Old 02/14/2006, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

Just noticed the "usually ships" line on MD shows 4-6 weeks for this unit. Looks like I may have to build a canopy after all. Still wondering about the dual 400 watt option. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 02/14/2006, 10:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky71
is the Aqua Medic 2 x 250W fixture really loud? Can I replace the ballasts to make it quieter? Is it that difficult changing the bulbs?
As long as its a HQI ballast of the same wattage, you shd have no problem with the replacement ..... though I think you wld void the warranty .....

Btw are you talking about the ocean lights?

You could ask about the the Aqua medic space lights or starlight future ... these are better built than the ocean lights ... then I think you shd not have a loud buzzing noise.
Old 02/14/2006, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

I currently have an aqua medic ocean light over my 90g. It is the 2x250 mh and 2x54 t5 setup. I am pretty much able to maintain anything that I want. Heat is a concern with my system as I do not have a chiller. But I think that is always a problem with MH's. I love the system though. It was really easy to hang, and took me only about 30 minutes to do it. As far as changing the lights, it is of course, more involved than changing SE screwoffs. But, it isnt really that big of a deal. It probably takes me about 10-15 minutes to change all of the lights. Not really something that I would let affect your decision since it only needs to be done every once in a while.
Old 02/14/2006, 11:26 PM
Premium Member

then changing the ballast would be something to consider .... and the ocean lights in the US come with the remote ballast box right? So it would not be very difficult to change the ballast though you should consult with a proper electrician or better still get one to do the retrofit.

If you want to be extra sure .... contact Aqua Medic and you can buy the Voss ballast used in the Space lights ... but it is best to check with them because your specs and the specs for the 220v maybe a little different
Old 02/15/2006, 09:40 AM
Premium Member

Spoke to MarineDepot yesterday. They're having a tough time getting any stock from Aqua Medic since the fire. Any other prebuilt systems comparable?
Old 02/15/2006, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

As far as the ballast noise, it is either hit or miss. Before I had purchased mine, I was warned by 2 people that they couldnt even keep their ballast in the room. But mine makes absolutely zero noise. So there really isnt a way to tell I suppose
Old 02/15/2006, 10:08 AM
Premium Member

yes ... this is the problem with the ocean light ballast .... also, I understand from Aqua Medic that it is a more frequent problem with the 110v in the US than with 220v ... but you are lucky that you do not have the buzzing sound problem ... it is quite irritating.

thorsky ... can't help you there .... but a little patience wld be good ... after all you are going to be using the lights for some time to come and it is always better to deal with a company that can back their products with proper warranty and technical support ....

that is why I have been buying Aqua Medic stuff as a hobbyist for the last 8 years ... now I also buy their products as their distributor in my market (but I m just being a hobbyist here!)

Unlike many of the other products I have dealt with, Aqua Medic is able to deliver promptly ... even spare parts ...

So do give them a chance.
Old 02/15/2006, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

I do stand by Aqua Medic 100%. I have an Ocean light over my 15g now and love it. No ballast hum for me! My current impatience is due to the critters in the 15g outgrowing their environment. I figure I have about 2 months to get my 90 up and running so I want to get moving. Going with the T5/MH figure was my way of getting out of canopy building. I guess I need to get off my but and setup the woodshop this weekend! A retro kit is a bit more flexible (and economical) anyway.
Old 02/15/2006, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

chtan, checked out your gallery. some cool tanks. Especially like that planted tank. very cool. Dont see many of those stateside
Old 02/15/2006, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

thanks for the compliment ... its quite a pity ...

because you have such sophisticated marine hobbyist in the states ... yet you do not have an equivalent freshwater planter tank hobbyist or a web site like reef central for freshwater ....

Actually, I only became very interested about aqua-scaping and setting up self-sustaining biotopes because of the marine aquarium hobby ...

then my interest for planter tanks was revived some 4 years back ... and I started being more technical with the aqua-scaping.

The marine aquarium hobby taught me to be more scientific in my approach .. that really helps ....

The fresh water planter tank is starting to teach me a thing or two about the aesthetics of aqua scaping ... something I can apply to the marine ....

And unlike the marine aquarium, I can plant and re-plant .. trim and throw away plants ... I will never do that with corals .... so you can work out different concepts easily with plant tanks compared to marine (there is much more paper planning with the marine before the hands on if you want to do it right)

so if you had time, you should give plant aquariums a try; its quite fun and you will find that you are a better plant aquarium hobbyist all because you did marine aquariums!
Old 02/18/2006, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

out of curiosity what type of ballast does the oceanlight comes in? is it a ANSI M80?
Old 02/18/2006, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

The Oceanlight comes with 2 M80 ballast and a 120v workhorse ballast built into the fixture to run the T5's. Mine really doesn't make any noise. I did have one of the capacitors burn out after six months, but Aqua Medic did send me the replacement parts. Also be careful replacing bulbs. I had one of the clips break and I know of a few others who have had the same problem. Overall I think it's a good fixture for the money, but If you have more to spend I would look into other options.
Old 02/18/2006, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

For those interested, planted tanks have gained quite a bit of popularity in the states.

Planted Tank Forum