Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/01/2006, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Help prevent another cyano disaster please

I recently tore down my tank because of a cyano takeover and b/c I'm moving. Mainly though because of the horrible brown junk all over my tank. I had my rock in a tub for about 1 month until last week went i set the tank up again. It seems that after a few days, I am noticing the brown coloration again! I really dont want this to happen to me again. With new sand and my existing rocks, can it be that there is still a source of cyano or diatoms on the rock and now they are coming back???! I know that it cant be my light b/c light only worsens it, not the cause.

If anyone has any info please let me know. Tank parameters are below:

Nitrate 0
ph - 8.8 - dont know why???
ammonia about .25-.5
Ca - not measured yet...

I am using filtered water that tests 2ppm on my tds meter.
Old 02/01/2006, 02:43 PM
TRC Leader

You need high water quality, good water flow as well. No ammonia to start with. If your pH is 8.8 what is your Calcium and Alkalinity? You need to measure it. What test kits do you use? What's your bio-load like? Any phosphates? Feeding too often? What kind of water flow do you have running through the tank?

Sorry for all the q's.
Old 02/01/2006, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

The tank has just been set up again from scratch. I kept the same LR, new sand bed, 2 maxijet 900's, not feeding anything b/c there is nothing in the tank. I am using 1 capful of Liquid calcium a day and one capful of Purple Up, something my LFS said would encourage corraline growth. No phosphates...I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kits. Salinity is about 1.024.
I have a Rio 2100 for the return...
Old 02/01/2006, 06:32 PM
RC Mod

I would be careful with the Purple-Up. It contains some elements that I wouldn't dose. Also, it's a mixture of a number of compounds, which can be dicey.

The ammonia indicates some die-off occurred, and that will feed an algal bloom. You could turn off the lights to improve the looks of the tank, although I'd just ignore it for the moment. When the ammonia gets back down to zero, you might see the algal issue die back on its own.

The pH is very high, and you might want to consider doublechecking the measurement against another kit, etc. Otherwise, I'm a bit confused. You're not dosing anything else?
Old 02/01/2006, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

Not dosing anything else. Why would the ph be that high?? I'll stop the Purple up... Could it be my lightbulbs??? I dont have normal algae growth yet...just some of the brown on the rocks...can either be cyano or diatoms. I'm going to siphon whatever i can see. What could be contributing to the high ph and the cyano? Its not everywhere, just small sigs on a few rocks...but this stuff can spread like crazy!

On another note, what kind of Martial arts??
Old 02/01/2006, 09:10 PM
RC Mod

Aikido, iaido, jodo.

The high pH is odd. It might be worth double-checking with another test kit or meter. How are you measuring pH? What is the alkalinity?
Old 02/02/2006, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

I dont have a test kit for Alk....buying one today. I use the aquarium pharm test kit for ph...my lfs doesn't carry salifert but I will buy online. I definetly see the brown algae now...starting to show up on the other rocks. I cant figure out what it could be. There is nothing in the tank! Unless, the cyano was dormant on the rocks and is now coming back. I would purchase new bulbs but I want to make sure first that it could be the cause. I have an orbit 4x96.

I practice Wing Chun Gung Fu. Everyone should realize the benefits of Martial Arts!
Old 02/02/2006, 04:37 PM
RC Mod

Cyanobacteria can most likely spread through the air. There's been marine phytoplankton detected at 30,000 ft over Chicago. So it's going to be in your tank. You just need to starve it out.

Your alkalinity value might be very revealing. We'll see.
Old 02/02/2006, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

the purple up can raise ph if you add it too often by itself, Aragamilk is a much better product
Old 02/05/2006, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

So now I turned the lights off for about 48 hours and there is no sign of the brown algae. I obviously cant do this for long, so any suggestions on what the cause is? Can it be the lights? Old Bulbs?
Old 02/05/2006, 04:21 PM
RC Mod

Old bulbs sometimes are said to shift colors and favor more algal growth. Can you add a macroalga area to the system?

You might also just see some algal growth for a while. This tank is a lot like a new setup, and blooms are fairly common.
Old 02/05/2006, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

Like putting some chaeto in the sump?
Old 02/05/2006, 06:50 PM
RC Mod

Yes, that can help.
Old 02/06/2006, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Will do. Again, no brown algae when I shut the lights...I will start creeping the photoperiod up a little. I started at 4 hours today. Lets see what happens.

Can I start to add inverts to the tank? Ammonia is slightly high but all other params are ok...
Old 02/06/2006, 02:59 PM
RC Mod

I would wait until there's no ammonia to add anything. You could do some water changes now, though. That might help.
Old 02/06/2006, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Thanks. So basically, when ammonia is 0 and all other params are ok, add the fun stuff.
Old 02/06/2006, 05:16 PM
RC Mod

That's what I'd do.
Old 02/06/2006, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Are there any sort of snails or other cleaners that are good to add into the tank - that will eat the cynobacteria?

Last edited by snowridr; 02/06/2006 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02/06/2006, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

I read on another post that Conch and perhaps cucumbers are good. Someone mentione a black and white legged crab too. Truth is, all depends on the animal...some will eat and some wont. Its a war, not a battle.