Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Northeast Florida Marine Aquarium Society (NFMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/02/2006, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

Clay you must have a full house today. Great Idea.
Old 02/02/2006, 09:45 PM
Premium Member

I could house the equipment. The policy would be, pay for the equipment, get your money back when you return the equipment. We already do "The Trap" from Ultralife like that.

I want to use the stuff myself!!
Old 02/02/2006, 09:46 PM
Coral Farmer

LOL

I have all of these wacky ideas in my head and it's nice to have a place to share them with others. I guess it's the entrepreneurial spirit to come up with off the wall ideas on the fly. You should hear some of the ideas I have for my business!

Actually, my dream is to have a public aquarium in downtown Jax. Jax needs something to attract visitors downtown and public aquariums have proven to spark development. Look at downtown Baltimore and their aquarium. Baltimore was a complete hole before the aquarium sparked interest. Just an idea though. Pretty far fetched.
Old 02/02/2006, 09:49 PM
Coral Farmer

Rob,

All we need now is a budget! Easier said then done
Old 02/02/2006, 09:51 PM
Premium Member

I'm working on a BIG job. I want this stuff for myself, I have no problem renting it for NFMAS members. We are about to bring in the prodibio.com stuff for the first time.
Old 02/02/2006, 09:55 PM
Coral Farmer

Rob,

That's awesome news. Good to see we have some cutting edge techniques in the Jax area.

Can you start a new thread outlining this technique? I'm sure you can answer a lot of questions we all may have.

Have you considered Zeovit at well?
Old 02/02/2006, 10:54 PM
Parapterois heterura

cheers, my friends...

a suggestion to: do consider membership in MASNA.org (the society for societies).

Among the many benefits for the very cheap membership, you get access to a speaker database which details speakers, topics, origin cities, fees if any, etc.

It's true... I have no fee... just cheap travel reimbursement. But you will find that most all speakers with few exceptions are free or next to nothing to bring in to speak to your club.

of course... the trade off for us being cheap dates is that we get booked well in advance (6-12 months usually). I'm scheduling 2007 at present. Doh! See what I said about being cheap and easy (hey... easy?!?!)

MASNA membership also gives you access to a huge club databse where you can contact sister societies for a consensus on plans/ideas you have for raising money, getting incorporated cheaply, sharing a speaker expense (neighboring club), etc.

with kind regards,

Anthony
Old 02/02/2006, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

We originally had MASNA membership. Should be easy to reactivate, I'd guess...
Old 02/02/2006, 11:03 PM
Coral Farmer

Anthony,

Thanks for the info. I guess we are a little slow on the uptake if you are booking for 2007! I know you don't charge a fee but are bribes accepted? Possibly a new BMW?

Let us know and thanks again.
Old 02/02/2006, 11:37 PM
Coral Farmer

(Response from Anthony Calfo)

cheers, my friend

Its very good to hear from you. I do recall chatting as well/indeed. I was just posting over at RC briefly too! How ironic.

Anyways... I fear I cannot commit to anything until the last quarter of the year at best. Frankly, the whole year is likely booked up. The few months without confirmed dates have 2-3 each pending.

Still... something may work out for this year if you are willing to wait for an answer. Else we can just book early next year Jan 2007 if you prefer.

kindly, Anth-

(This give us time to get our act together and decide the direction of the club in the future.)
Old 02/03/2006, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

I'll put in my $.02...

How about corporate sponsorship?

...or setting up NFMAS as a non-profit corp?

What about working with schools to bring aquariums into the classrooms? This might be a way to open the door to obtain donation equipment & supplies from retailers, distributors & manufacturers.

The club could adopt a school, etc & install & maintain the aquarium. If nothing else teach the school to maintain it themselves with us as support for them. Then you would also have schools who could check out the equipment. Not to mention possibly boost the membership in NFMAS.

Local fish stores could donate for the setup & get advertising from it.

What is the target demographic for saltwater aquariums?

If handled correctly it has potential to be a win/win situation.

Again...my $.02.
Old 02/04/2006, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Grayout, I'd love to see a "City Aquarium". When traveling (before store) my wife & I would go to local Aquariums. From Hawaii to Maryland. Does anyone know if this was ever suggested to our great city leaders?
Old 02/04/2006, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Rob let us know when you get it in.