Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2006, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

Pinktail Trigger and Toadstool

Would a Pinktail Trigger be picking at my Toadstool Mushroom? This just started yesterday. I've had the Toadstool over a year and the Trigger about a month.

I haven't seen him, or any of my other fish nip at it, but I noticed some little dangling pieces around the outer edges of the Mushroom.

Do mushrooms multiply by dropping 'babies'? All my searches come up with multiplying from the foot or fragging.

I did see him nip at a purple Gorgonia and I moved that to my other tank. But this Toadstool would be a major move; It's pretty good sized and attached to some other LR.

I know it wouldn't hurt it, if I had to easily tear it away from the LR, but just trying to find out if this is natural for a Trigger to do. And will he keep at it, or do I need to move it?

In the meantime, I've been keeping an eye out for a culprit .

Thanks,
Teakie
Old 01/08/2006, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Teakie, so sorry to veer off the question, but, I have a toadstool that is huge. I can't get him out without tearing my whole rock work down. Are you saying I can peel him off the rock he is on and he will be okay?
Old 01/08/2006, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Are you saying I can peel him off the rock he is on and he will be okay?
I'm not saying yea or nay that it will be okay. I have moved mine before, when I upgraded to a bigger tank. He wasn't this big then, but yes, I sort of pried/cut with a small, one sided razor blade, and got it off the LR its trunk had attached to.

I didn't think to try and place that piece of LR somewhere, that it might grow into another Toadstool (*Teakie slaps herself*) .

If this keeps up, I'm going to be moving this one again, using the same method as before. It's just too big and beautiful (a Goldtip)to let my Trigger (or whatever) nip it in the bud! LMFAO

I also posted this same question in the SIG forum. Someone replied that it could be reproducing.

BTW, don't worry about veering off the question; I'm just glad someone is looking and reading.

Teakie
Old 01/08/2006, 08:19 PM
Art and science

if this just started and the trigger is the newest thing you put in your tank then I would say that the trigger is the culprit. I'm pretty sure a toadstool will just poop a new baby toadstool every other month or so once it reaches a certain size
Old 01/08/2006, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

The Carson

What does it look like when a Toadstool poops a baby?

I should have taken a picture...however... it looks like little indentations where the polyps were, and the little polyps are/were, hanging by a 'thread'. The Toadstool was open all day today, but not the polyps.

The day this happened, the Toadstool was in full bloom that morning. When I got home later that afternoon, is when I noticed the little danglers.

Should I be looking for Toadstools to start popping up? Wouldn't that be cool. I could never bring myself to frag it, it's just too darn beautiful. I've had it about a year or so; any idea what size/age they need to be, before they start pooping babies?

Here are pics when he was little...
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...75Q300x250.jpg
...and now.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...arber/Toad.jpg

That last photo doesn't include about 2"+ of the trunk; the (original) rock it's attached to, is turned around.

Thanks for the help (and any more you can toss my way).
Teakie
Old 01/08/2006, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

I had a pinktail in with some leathers. He was great for a few months then all of a sudden would not leave one of my finger leathers alone until he ate it down to nothing. After that he went snail hunting - over 100 snails in 2 days. I've since pulled him out and am about to try a pair of Bluethroats.
Old 01/08/2006, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

sfauth

Thanks for that info but it sure doesn't help my spirits. I have fallen in love with that Trigger. He eats right out of my fingertips!

I've moved most of my corals to my 46g. All that's really left in the 75 is the Toadstool, a Green BTA, a Briareum and a few wild mushrooms. I thought after nipping the Gorgonia, it would start on the Briareum. But I'm going to move it anyway.

Tank mates are a Foxface Lo, Purple Tang, Bicolor Blenny, and a Mandarin. I plan on putting my Fuzzy Dwarf Lion in there, when he outgrows the 46g.

Teakie
Old 01/08/2006, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Give the Pinktail Nori on a clip daily........... I feed mine Nori everyday along with meaty foods and have not had a problem with it picking any coral.

I also feed my Pinktail Fresh Frozen peas Thawed.... oh it loves peas........ Triggers lover their greens, see if this helps it stop picking.......

Kaye
Old 01/08/2006, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

I can sympathise as the pinktail was one of my favorite fish of all time. He had the greatest personality! The way I understand it is that these fish are all hit or miss. I know a few people who successfully have kept pinktails for 2+ years in their reef without incodent. The smaller you can get them the better and keep them very very very well fed. Also these are curious fish - try not to add too many corals/inverts that would be potential targets to a trigger as upon addition it seems they can not help themselves but to inspect and taste.

Best of luck to you.
Old 01/08/2006, 10:07 PM
Art and science

TeakieBarber, I've never actully seen them do it but from customers that come say they find a little toadstool next to the big one
Old 01/08/2006, 10:15 PM
Premium Member

Kaye ~

I put Ocean Nutrition's Green Marine Algae, on a clip daily. I also just bought some frozen peas for my Cowfish (she's in my 46g and I heard they love them, too), so I'll try some with Trigger tomorrow.

That tanks gets fed 2-3 times a day; Pellets, Flakes, Frozen Mysis, and Ghost Shrimp for Trigger, about every other day.

sfauth ~

My plan is this being a FOWLR. I have a few snails, no crabs of any type or starfish. There may be some Micro Brittles under the rock. I do have one Peppermint Shrimp (out of 2) that has survived so far. Lost 2 cleaner shrimp, but I think all those losses were before Trigger was added.

Thank you both for your input and help. I'm feeling a little better about the situation now. I've been watching the tank all afternoon and this evening, and I haven't seen the Trigger go near the Toadstool. Maybe it was a one time thing and if so, hopefully he didn't like the taste!

Teakie
Old 01/09/2006, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

Teakie- I would assume you to be a Giants fan (Tiki Barber) and just wanted to send my sympathies following yesterday's loss......
Old 01/09/2006, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

sfauth

Unfortunately, also a Jaguars fan.

I've been a Giant's fan forever because of Tiki; I just became a Barber 2 years ago.

Thanks for the consolation!

BTW, my Toadstool is open and beautiful again this morning. Not a sign of any damage ~ hope this is a good sign !

Teakie
Old 01/09/2006, 09:58 AM
Me in Iraq

Quote:
Originally posted by kellierick
Teakie, so sorry to veer off the question, but, I have a toadstool that is huge. I can't get him out without tearing my whole rock work down. Are you saying I can peel him off the rock he is on and he will be okay?
You can just cut the head off and it will grow a new head. Just leave an inch or two of a stump and it will grow back.

You can cut the head into pieces and sell them.

Or you can cut the edge of the toadstool like cutting the crust off a pizza. The crust pieces will regrow but you can just chuck them if you need to.

I cut mine in my tank (45 gallon) with no problems.

Click on my gallery for some pics including a toadstool that was about 19 inches across.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.....

Good luck!
Old 01/09/2006, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Leathers do shed & they shrivel up when they do this, maybe it was just shedding (whatever they call it on leathers).

Try the frozen Pea's, I also feed Fresh Frozen Broccolli, Thin Raw carrot slices & every once in awhile a thin slice of banana & fresh orange slices, the banana & orange slices are messy that's why it is now & than for those two.....

Here is my Pinktail that I have had for 2 years now.....

Kaye
Old 01/12/2006, 02:48 PM
old enough to know better

My 02

Most triggerfish are poor candidates for a reef tank ... even the best are considered "with caution" (polite word for crap shoot) and many will make short work of your reef. Additionally ... its darn tough to maintain reef type water conditions in a "predator tank".

As far as the toadstool creating offshoots ... sometimes you will see them "droop" a clone .. other times you may see a section of of the toadstool develop a white line around it and that section will pop off. Seems like this happens more often when the toadstool is under stress.

Hope this helps.
Old 01/13/2006, 06:42 AM
Premium Member

Kaye ~ It's definitely not shedding. I'm familiar with that process. It did eat the peas, heck, I think he'd eat anything I put in there (he's always nipping my hands and fingers)

Kevin2000 ~ I intend for this to be a predator tank or at least FOWLR. However, I was hesitant to move this big guy because he was so attached to a piece of LR. But I finally 'got 'er done' and moved it to my 46g.

The only coral left is a Fox Coral and I have a Green Anemone. I'm leaving the Anemone, unless it comes to push and shove. It's the first one I've been able to keep since the middle 80's.

Thank you both. While I'm here, what do you think about a Butterfly or Angel type fish? I've looked at the compatibility chart at LiveAquaria.com, but you can't always depend on a chart. Theirs, I think, is posted for the beginning aquarist.

Just a reminder of tank mates: Purple Tang, Foxface Lo, Bicolor Blenny, Green Mandarin, Tiger tail Cuke and perhaps some small bristle stars. I plan to move my Fuzzy Dwarf to that tank, once he outgrows the 46g. I really hope it's a long time, because that tank sits in my office, and I enjoy watching him. He's going to have to get special attention when/if I move him. That Trigger is aptly named when it comes to feeding time.

Thanks again to you both.
Teakie
Old 01/13/2006, 09:27 AM
old enough to know better

I would be cautious on adding anymore fish. If you have a 75 gallon tank you should note that many would argue that your trigger would do better in a 100 gallon tank ... and I suspect most would agree that your tanks too small for a purple tang. If your saving room for your lion fish then I would forgo adding either a Butterfly or Angel fish. Just my 02.

Keep an eye on the toadstool ... if they drop offshoots and your find them you can easily mount them on some LR rubble and they will grow pretty quick ... if they float into the dark reaches of the LR then they often wither/die.

BTW I suspect the individual you mentioned on "about" who helped you with your PH was Boomer ... not Bomber.