Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Pittsburgh Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2005, 10:38 PM
Premium Member

Thanks!
Old 12/15/2005, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

Any chance they will be open this weekend??
Old 12/15/2005, 04:43 PM
Professional Aquarist

I fear you guys are building this store up too much in your minds.

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 12/15/2005, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

Raynist, I don't think so, but I'll have to check with Jason
Old 12/16/2005, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steven Pro
Maybe, but up here in Butler, there isn't anything else except for the Seahorse, which, as far as corals go, is a little too expensive for me. I really don't have the time to be driving a couple hours to get to some of the other stores, and this one is about 15-20 minutes from me. I don't know, we'll see.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
-Frank Sinatra
Old 12/16/2005, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
LoL, Man i live in S.Dakota and cant wait for this store to open!
Old 12/16/2005, 09:30 PM
Premium Member

Frankly, I don't build any store up in my mind. As for where a lot of big money housing is being built, and where a good LFS could survive....my bet would be for the Cranberry area. If this guy does it right, I think he could be a BIG success. If he does it wrong.....just another loser in a fairly long chain of losers in the Pittsburgh area. My opinion of course.
Old 12/17/2005, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, we will all just rely on you since you know everything. Since you seen the store already, why isn't it going to be that great? Tell that to Jason to his face...not on the net. Maybe you could recommend to him some things instead of bashing his store, that hasn't even opened yet or even had a chance. A bit quick to jump the gun are we?
Old 12/17/2005, 02:32 PM
Professional Aquarist

I don't believe I did bash the store.

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 12/17/2005, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

I agree - no bash from my point of view. Just telling people to have some perspective- it will be a new store- that will have some of the usual growing pains that any retail store ( pet or otherwise) would have- and it will take some time to get up and running to the standard that the owner would expect it to have. Wow - alittle touchy Aqua--. I think what Mr. Pro said helps the store- not hurts it. Help others to not make any quick judgements or expect too much when it initially opens up. I am excited any as anyone to beable to have additional store to choose from in our area. BUt, like any small business it will take time to get it running smoothly- especially in this compicated hobby.
Old 01/02/2006, 02:11 PM
niiiiiiice car

Well i was their last weekend and it seemed like a nice store- all of the tanks are in wall and framed. Most of the live stock looked ok except there was a dead discus and a dead tang. There is not much of a variety but they said that they were exspecting a shipment this first week of Jan. It does look like their is potential. seems like a well developing store.
Kelly
-oh and Happy new year!!!
Old 01/03/2006, 05:12 PM
Moved On

i'm sure when you set up your little tank at home,you didn't loose any fish? compare to the large amount of fish they have, loosing 2 is not exactly a large percentage of lost.i was there not too long ago and they're not open yet,so feel lucky you got to tour the place.
Old 01/03/2006, 08:51 PM
niiiiiiice car

nope actually i didn't
I was just saying it seemed like a nice store, I know that all lfs have a tough start.
Old 01/03/2006, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

I too toured the store a few days ago and while I was impressed by the quality of the setup they were working with; I was disappointed by their disregard for removing the less expensive dead fish from their system. The store truly does have the potential to offer top-notch supplies and fish – judging by their current stock – although I think it’s very probable the store will either have outrageous prices or heavily stocked tanks.

Location: Great. Right next to that obnoxiously annoying hibachi restaurant.

Cost: I believe they will be on the upper end because of their lack of space to hold many fish and the great overhead a store of that caliber presumably holds.

Quality of Fish: As stated above, I saw a few dead fish and the rest of the stock seemed very healthy. I was especially impressed by the amount of water flow in all of their tanks generated by the massive pumps in their most impressive tank rooms.

Quality of Dry Goods: I was impressed! They had full metal halide systems literally on the shelves for you to buy. The price for the VHO bulbs was very fair for a lfs and I even liked how they only sold fish foods made by the best brands.

Appearance: Amazing! Picture beautifully painted blue walls with framed tanks throughout the store. The only access to the tanks was from behind in the tank room, which looked most professional.

Overall: This store has true potential and as long as the overhead and other factors associated with owning a high-end lfs do not affect this store, then I see it quickly becoming one of the best.
And in your eyes I see
What's on my mind
You've got me wild
Turned around inside
-DMB
Old 01/04/2006, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by no hater clubs
i'm sure when you set up your little tank at home,you didn't loose any fish? compare to the large amount of fish they have, loosing 2 is not exactly a large percentage of lost.
The point is, all stores lose fish, but they should be removed as soon as possible. I won't buy a fish if I see any dead ones in any of the tanks.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
-Frank Sinatra
Old 01/04/2006, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

The fish were removed as soon as they were seen. The problem is that it is hard enough finishing the work I have to do up at the store, without having to waite on customers coming in. I do remember that I did mention to Kelly when she came in that I was not open yet. Now that doesn't mean that it's OK to leave dead fish in a tank, but I was busy, and can't be everywhere at once. My apologies, it definitly won't happen again. The Discus had actually arrived that day, and I had noticed the Chevron Tang acting a bit funny, but left him alone to see how he would do. Unlike most stores I do Quarantine, but what can I say s**t happens.
Old 01/04/2006, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't directing my comment specifically at you, especially since you're not even open yet. I can understand what it takes to do what you're doing.

-Frank Sinatra
Old 01/04/2006, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

I took no offense, I'm sure that you know what I'm going through, anyone who has setup a new tank can. The only difference is instead of one tank imagine packing your house full of them all at once. I just saw the thread, and replied to it.
Old 01/04/2006, 02:41 PM
Money Spender

hey Jason, did that clown tang ever quit swimming in circles around that piece of tonga branch?
Old 01/04/2006, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UNDERTHESEA(PA)
The fish were removed as soon as they were seen. The problem is that it is hard enough finishing the work I have to do up at the store, without having to waite on customers coming in. I do remember that I did mention to Kelly when she came in that I was not open yet. Now that doesn't mean that it's OK to leave dead fish in a tank, but I was busy, and can't be everywhere at once. My apologies, it definitly won't happen again. The Discus had actually arrived that day, and I had noticed the Chevron Tang acting a bit funny, but left him alone to see how he would do. Unlike most stores I do Quarantine, but what can I say s**t happens.
Kelly and I meant no offence by our post. We actually thought the store was already open and that is why the dead fish left us feeling a little uncertain. However, after we learned that your store wasn’t opened yet, we understood why some of the livestock had its problem.

So anyways, we didn’t mean to offend or make anyone go on the defensive side and we look forward to shopping there in the future.
And in your eyes I see
What's on my mind
You've got me wild
Turned around inside
-DMB
Old 01/04/2006, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Don't take it the wrong way I was not upset at all. I just wanted to set the facts straight, and let you guys know what was going on. I didn't mean to sound defensive. I look forward to seeing you when I open. Jason.
Old 01/05/2006, 08:24 AM
Registered ID10T

Any idea when you're going to be open? (maybe a week, few weeks, month, or more?).
Let me know, as I plan on making a trip down soemtime probably within the first week or so after you open.
Thanks
-Stewie
Old 01/05/2006, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Any Pics?

I too will be needing new salifert CA and KH test kits very soon.

Chuck
Old 01/05/2006, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

I’ve had a $4900 Aqua Marine order get 100% wiped out because somebody did not clean a micron filter properly. That’s about $17,000 (Seahorse dollars) retail........ Two plus fish are DAMN good for a newer system. If you could get into any other store before they open in the morning, you could have about 10% of their stock before the toss it in the dumpster.

The best thing by far that Under the Sea has going for them is that they have tanks at home. They enjoy and understand the hobby. They are taloring the store for the hobbiest not the mass public

PS. They have a pair of Electric Blue Jack Dempsies......someone better grab then quick!

Alex-