Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2005, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

I have a gray Poma angel in my minimally populated single sps tank.

no nippage so far. Sorry for the poor pic, I can't take good pics with my dig. camera to save my life.

Old 12/10/2005, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Anyone have an Asfur Angel in their tank? LFS has a really nice one now and I am curious what results people have had.
Old 12/12/2005, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

Kihi Kihi!

Old 12/12/2005, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

Went ahead and bit the bullet on the Asfur.

It is about 5 inches. Here are some pictures in quarantine. Sorry for the bad focus. I was wedged in a 2 foot space between the car and tank. I will try and get some better pics later.

Plan is to introduce a crocea, some zoos, and a browned out SPS to the quarantine to see if he takes interest. If not I will introduce him to the main tank. If he does nip then someone will have dibs on nice fish!

Old 12/12/2005, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

Here are a couple of no nos in the same reef tank.

Old 12/13/2005, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

wow Phil.. when did you get the regal?
Old 12/15/2005, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

I have a dwarf lionfish in my SPS tank. Luckily he hasn't started to eat mmy other fish. Not even a percula that could easily fit in its mouth.

He has gotten larger since this picture:
Old 12/16/2005, 12:46 PM
Humble Reefkeeper

Navarchus angel
Pair of golden dwarf angels
Copperband with some clams
I've actually had more problem with my powder blue eating M. digitata and blue ridge tips, and also nipping at Clavularia than most of the 'no-no' fish.
I would like to try a Moorish Idol like some of you, but I'm just too chicken after hearing a few horror stories. I just don't know how I would catch a fish like that out of my 400 G system if I had to.

I also have toyed with the idea (as some above have) of purchasing some of the 'unkeepable' butterflyfish that are strict coralivores, particularly when my 400 G system has a bit of growout (most colonies transferred in the last few months from my 110 system). I've been having good luck (about 1.5 years now) with this guy (photo from my tank) that has never taken any prepared food of any kind. The good thing about this filefish is that he spreads his damage around. I'm worried that a coralivore butterflyfish might not.

Old 12/16/2005, 01:21 PM
Dracula

Greg, try a C. Octofasciatus. Beautiful butterfly, maxes out at 3-4". The file looks great still.

joe
Old 12/16/2005, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Here's my "Reef No-No" a great Indo-Pacific specimen. Very active and healthy at 4.5" long. It's been in my tank for nearly a year.

Never bothers any SPS but has been seen eating Pulsing Xenia, Zoo's, sponges, sea squirts, and takes the occasional nibble on Green Star Polyps. I wish it would eat more of the GSP's

Old 12/16/2005, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Redfish lovely semilarvatus you have got in your tank! Pleas post some more info about your experienses about that fish. I am very curios beacuse i have been thinking of adding one to my own tank!

Here are my angels in my SPS tank!

P. imperator 5", E. xanthometopon 3,5" and P. asfur 4"

Old 12/16/2005, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

Based on my experience with two Golden Butterflys, I would rate them no more dangerous than the large angels.

Both of the ones I have owned have nipped at SPS but have caused no noticeable damage. They much prefer 'meat'.

I do not have any LPS or zoos/polyps, so I do not know how they would fare. I do have clams and neither have bothered them.

Both fish began eating frozen mysis almost immediately.
Old 12/16/2005, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

Redfish, how often do you feed your tank? maybe more frequent feedings help?
Old 12/17/2005, 03:39 AM
Registered Member

Redfish that is a wounderfull experiense you have with those butterflyes! If they behave like the large angels i can take the nipping without any problem.
My tank is 95% SPS also so i think there wont be any problem for me if the ones i get behave like yours!

How long time hve you had that butterfly!
Old 12/17/2005, 01:18 PM
Moved forward

Great thread , I was going to post my Regal Angel until I reached the last page . Oh well ......
Old 12/17/2005, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Greg,

My pair of Semilarvatus don't focus on any particular SPS unless it is RTNing. They will nip here and there as long as the colonies are healthy(I think it's the same effect as having the file fish). IME, if a coral is RTNing it will have less of a chance to recover with the butterflies in the tank. The best thing to do if you want to try to save the coral is to remove it. I also keep, racoons, aurigas and false saddle backs in my frag systems.

Remember folks I'm talking about large systems (or frag systems jam packed with frags) with fair numbers of SPS "colonies". I think you can probably keep them with LPS as well. Softies is a different story. They will consume them with gusto. As a matter of fact the way I clean off encrusting zoos on rock is by placing it in my 350. Between the angels and butterflies they are cleaned within 15 minutes.

One other thing, don't expect to have great polyp extension. Not until lights outs any way.

Rafael
Old 12/18/2005, 03:18 AM
Registered Member

Rafael that sounds nice to have that many butterflyes!
Do you have any pictures of your semilarvatus and other butterflies in your tanks? It would be intresting to see some pics. I loked at your homepage but i only saw sps pictures! Nice homepage and corals by the way.
Old 12/18/2005, 03:31 AM
Registered Member

I've got a Koran that is about ready to get the boot. I'll miss him, but my corals won't.
Old 12/18/2005, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

Norberg,

Sorry, but I am not allowed to post pictures on RC. Below is a link to my site which shows my different display systems.

Click on the "Butterfly" link on this page: http://www.thecoralnursery.com/350reef.htm

You don't see any sps on this picture cause this is the area below the coral heads where I have constructed caves, but if you go to the "Angels" links you will see the tops of my reef.

Rafael
Old 12/18/2005, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Rafel! Very nice with all those angels in the tank!

I hope more peopel post their experiences with butterflyes in this tread!
Old 12/18/2005, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sidog1
Redfish, how often do you feed your tank? maybe more frequent feedings help?
I feed twice a day.
Old 12/18/2005, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Norberg
Redfish that is a wounderfull experiense you have with those butterflyes! If they behave like the large angels i can take the nipping without any problem.
My tank is 95% SPS also so i think there wont be any problem for me if the ones i get behave like yours!

How long time hve you had that butterfly!
I have not had the current one very long.

The previous Golden I had for about one year before it was claimed by a hurricane.

The first Golden was not quarantined and always nipped at the SPS but never caused damage. The current butterfly was quarantined and essentially forced to learn to eat frozen mysis. This one very rarely nips at the SPS. I have another small one on the way to make a pair in my 225.
Old 12/29/2005, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Hey Greg,

I was just curious if you could post more information about your filefish, you said you've had it for 1.5 years, thats really really amazing! I was reading in the pocket handbook to marine fish and this guy was a 1 on difficulty, one being the hardest,

if you have anymore info about this guy I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 12/30/2005, 04:19 AM
Registered Member

Is it not a good idea to have yellow tangs?
Old 12/30/2005, 06:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smokez01
I was reading in the pocket handbook to marine fish and this guy was a 1 on difficulty, one being the hardest,
It's rated 1 because you have to feed it acro polyps.