Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/27/2005, 01:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
I would replace a lamp or two every couple days. Let us know what you see as far as intensity or color shift from a new lamp to a 16 month old one. It isn't that big a deal to space out the lamp replacement so you might as well do what won't cause stress in your critters.
Thanks much, I'll let you know in a few days how it looks.
Old 11/27/2005, 01:43 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by lho
Grim---Thank you for replying...
I'm replacing my 2 x 150 watts HQI...so I might not have to use the fiberglass window screen?
Depends on what you are raising, how high above the water the halides were, how high the T5's will be. I think I would add 1 layer of screen over the tank at least for a couple days. Unless you have a very good halide system the T5's will be an increase in light but it may be a very strong increase in certain areas of the tank that don't get direct illumination from the halides now.

So you are in Santa Ana? Any good reef stores down there? I have to drive down to see my Mom for Christmas. No snow for Christmas is a drag but good Mexican food makes up for it
Old 11/27/2005, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

thanks. thats exactlly what im gonna do. one last question though...

(considering im going with 6 48in or 6 60in tubes)...i was wondering what bulb combo would be enough for the anemones but still enough to have a bluer look. i was thinking about this

Front ( they are staggered like they'll be across the tank)

blue plus blue plus
aqua blue
Old 11/27/2005, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

sorry i hit the wrong key... here it is again

front (shown staggered across tank)

blue plus blue plus
aqua blue aqua blue
blue plus blue plus

back

would this be good enough for anemones.... thanks a lot. promise this is my last question....lol
Old 11/27/2005, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

SO the Nova's arent good for LPS and Softies? I do not want to spend the money on the TEK fixture.
Old 11/27/2005, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Is there a european company or anywhere for that matter working on t5's under 24"...HO tha is....I would love to be able to retro t5's into my 24g cube instead of a 70w mh
Old 11/27/2005, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BANANAICE
sorry i hit the wrong key... here it is again

front (shown staggered across tank)

blue plus blue plus
aqua blue aqua blue
blue plus blue plus

back

would this be good enough for anemones.... thanks a lot. promise this is my last question....lol
Try It. Might be a little too blue but you never know until you try it. You could always grab a spare Aquablue lamp(you need a spare anyway) and see what a 50/50 mix looks like too.
Old 11/27/2005, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FishMaster1000
SO the Nova's arent good for LPS and Softies? I do not want to spend the money on the TEK fixture.
How tall is your tank? You need to be willing to at least drop some coin for good lamps but if your tank is under 20" tall the the cheap T5 fixtures will be good enough for LPS and Softies.
Old 11/27/2005, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tdapple
Is there a european company or anywhere for that matter working on t5's under 24"...HO tha is....I would love to be able to retro t5's into my 24g cube instead of a 70w mh
How tall is that cube? 70 watts sounds a little low. Any chance of running 2 70's, say a 10 K lamp with a 20K right in front of it. that would look sweet. Don't know of any HO T5 shorter than 24".
Old 11/27/2005, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
How tall is your tank? You need to be willing to at least drop some coin for good lamps but if your tank is under 20" tall the the cheap T5 fixtures will be good enough for LPS and Softies.
Well I just realized these lights are not HO.. They are now out of the questions. The tank is either 16" or 18" I am not exactly sure! It is a 28 gallon bowfront! How is the 4 bulb Finnex fixture?
Old 11/27/2005, 07:59 PM

Finnex would work as long as your not talking clams or SPS.
Old 11/27/2005, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Well I just found a Nova T5HO set... There was a mix up. Would you reccomend Nova or Finnex for LPS and Softies? It is definitely between them two, and I definitely do not want to do SPS and Clams! tHANKS
Old 11/27/2005, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
How tall is that cube? 70 watts sounds a little low. Any chance of running 2 70's, say a 10 K lamp with a 20K right in front of it. that would look sweet. Don't know of any HO T5 shorter than 24".
Not to be off topic, but it's a JBJ cube, it's 20 inches tall, I was going to do a 70w halide and 2 sunpaq 32w retro's....I thought about doing a 150HQI but I can't find a decent retro with UV glass and such.
Old 11/27/2005, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Would this be a good fixture for a softie tank? I am sure I could keep some LPS as well with this fixture on a 58g. Its just a really good deal.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113175
Old 11/27/2005, 11:01 PM
Moving Along

Quote:
Originally posted by jaybuc
Would this be a good fixture for a softie tank? I am sure I could keep some LPS as well with this fixture on a 58g. Its just a really good deal.

Without utilizing individual reflectors and good bulbs, yes its good enough for softies and low-moderate light lps,but it will be hard to achieve good coloring with high light loving lps.

-Justin
Old 11/27/2005, 11:06 PM
Moving Along

Quote:
Originally posted by FishMaster1000
Well I just found a Nova T5HO set... There was a mix up. Would you reccomend Nova or Finnex for LPS and Softies? It is definitely between them two, and I definitely do not want to do SPS and Clams! tHANKS
Folks, trying to differentiate quality between these brands is like splitting hairs. The major advantage T5 has is with the bulbs and just as importantly, the individual reflectors. Without them?There ALL a bunch of High Output power compacts IMHO.

-Justin
Old 11/28/2005, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jaybuc

Just keep the higher light critters up on the rocks and you should be good. I would check out the Finnex from Premium Aquatics too. You should also get good lamps. I am not sure what Orbit and Finnex are putting in their fixtures. Orbit (made by current) has a pretty good rep as far as PC's so perhaps their T5's are worth a shot.
Old 11/28/2005, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

What about PAR as compared to MH? I'm currently running a 3x80w and 2x54w (run by an icecap 660 and 440 respectively) T5 setup and this has spurred my interest. A lot of (what i would feel "closed minded") local reefers are "hating" on T5's because they simply do not believe that T5's could put out as much PAR as MH's and that PAR is more important than lumens/watt when it comes to SPS/coral growth.
Over 200 lbs of Fiji Live Rock
PM Ca Reactor
Custom dual Sedra 5000 Recirc Skimmer
Old 11/28/2005, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

sorry delete this
Over 200 lbs of Fiji Live Rock
PM Ca Reactor
Custom dual Sedra 5000 Recirc Skimmer
Old 11/28/2005, 12:27 AM
Premium Member

i made my own topic before seeing this one

i am planing my tank and i have one quick question about lighting
i am getting the 36" Tek Light: 4-39W T5 HO

i was wondering am i better off making my tank 12 or 16 inches deep?
Old 11/28/2005, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by APynckel
What about PAR as compared to MH? I'm currently running a 3x80w and 2x54w (run by an icecap 660 and 440 respectively) T5 setup and this has spurred my interest. A lot of (what i would feel "closed minded") local reefers are "hating" on T5's because they simply do not believe that T5's could put out as much PAR as MH's and that PAR is more important than lumens/watt when it comes to SPS/coral growth.
My 6x80 Ice Cap system put better than 50% more PAR at the sandbed than my decent 250 watt HQI system does with 14K lamps.

Point out this thread to your friends

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=700454
Old 11/28/2005, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

Is it possible to modify a Finex or Nova and put in individual reflectors?
Old 11/28/2005, 10:31 AM

Most likely not.
Old 11/28/2005, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Looks like its better just to get a Tek retro kit if the reflectors are really that much better.
Old 11/28/2005, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Possibly...but the cost is 2-3x as much once you get bulbs and a mount. At that point it might be time to go MH or MH/PC combo.

Also what is recommended for first time buyers who don't have an old hood they can gut?