Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/28/2005, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

New Member Tank advise?

Hi ive just joined this forum and would like some help!

I want to set up a mixed reef tank and need advise on best size tank and what is the best type of filter.

I know people say by biggest tank you can get but what is the best volume of water to keep a reef system etc.

Steve
Old 10/28/2005, 02:54 PM
TRC Leader

Steve,

To Reef Central

Why everyone says bigger is better is that the more water volume you have, the slower bad things happen, and the more stable your water parameters will stay. Say you have a 10 gallon tank that evaporates 1 gallon a day, that's 10% of the water volume. Same evaporation rate on a 100 gallon tank, it's only 1% of the water volume. Then you have to consider what fish your tank may hold and what they require to live happily. You can find an equal amount of successful reefers in the Large Tank forum as the Nano Forum, it's all about what you want at this point. IMO, I would start with at least 35 gallons or more as a beginner.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 10/28/2005, 03:01 PM
Microreefologist

Steve, welcome to RC! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but, the biggest tank you can get is the best! Really. If you can afford 300 gallons, get it. If only 55, that's fine. They say 55 is good for a starter, not too big, not too small. There are several reasons for bigger tanks. Water parameters are much more stable in larger volumes of water (pH, temp., etc.). Second, nobody wants just 3 fish and 5 corals, right? Filtration is wide open and you will get a lot of advice. My .02. I have a 12 gal. sump that houses my skimmer and chemical filtration (carbon). I have a 12 gal. refugium with LR rubble, chaeto, and deep sand bed (nitrate reduction). Also, sumps and fuges give you more water volume without a larger display tank. More stability! Well, hope this answers some questions. Just make sure you have a plan in place. Figure out some of the fish you want to have. Especially if you have a "prize" fish you want to have. Find out what kind of needs this fish has and go from there as far as compatibility with other fishes, etc. Do the same thing for coral. This will help you determine the size of tank, lighting, and filtration you will need. Good luck!

Ed

Genesis 1:21
Old 10/28/2005, 03:12 PM
Volunteer Tang Police

75 is a great size to start with... good luck.
Old 10/28/2005, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

HI all,

Thanks for your advice, just getting all the info around me before i start buying stuff. So open to offers!!

What is a good tank manufacture to got for? As to size im lucky as have a spare wall so maximum size of tank an be 2metres wide!!

Steve
Old 10/28/2005, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

[welcome]

Check out this thead. It has a ton of usefull information about starting a reef system. Good luck!!!!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=239848
Old 10/28/2005, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

"As a newbie resist starting out with a nano or small reef tank. While they are cheaper to set up, they are much more difficult to maintain and control. I personally feel that a 55 or above is about right for the beginner. Another problem with nano's, since the investment is low, is some feel that they can be neglected and are expendable. To those, I hope a Wookie rips your arms off."

A quote from the omnipotent one.......just take a guess......