Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/28/2005, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Bay Area new guy!

I'm a new guy, to reef keeping, and wanted to say hello

Hello...

I've had several fresh water planted tanks in the past and I'm at the beginning stage af starting a reef tank... lots of reading and research, I haven't purchased a thing yet!

What I'd really like to do is see other people's set ups to get a first hand look at how all the pieces actually fit together before I buy anything or glue 2 pieces of PVC together! I live in Novato.

When most folks post for an idea or feedback about their tank, the first question usually is, "what do you want to do?" This is a tough question for someone like me just starting out... I want to start a reef tank but not too sure exactly what type of reef tank that is. I'd prefer an easy to medium level tank to get things started and go from there. I know I want more than a FO tank and more than a FOWLR...

I'll try to make it to the frag event Nov 12th to meet some people and find out what frqaggin' even is...

Todd
Old 10/28/2005, 12:21 PM
Fragaholic

Welcome.-Jim
Old 10/28/2005, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

To Reef Central
You are on the right road doing your research before starting. I know I've redone my tanks numerous times!
Old 10/28/2005, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

where did you move from? i have a bunch of friends up here in chico that grew up in novato, nice town
Old 10/28/2005, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Welcome Todd to RC and BAR!!!
Old 10/28/2005, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

Hey Todd,
I live in Larkspur and work in Novato. Let me know if you need any help planning or setting up the tank or if you wants some frags (ie pieces of coral that are removed from a mother colony). Just email me.

Mark
Old 10/28/2005, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

Welcome to RC, BAR and the hobby in general.
Old 10/30/2005, 01:15 AM
Arrowhead Puffer

One peice of advice I have to someone who is just starting out is:

Its worth paying the extra $$ for a drilled tank so you can have a easy neatly plumbed sump.

I have had my reef for almost 2.5 years now and still consider my self a begginer of sorts, but I have been envious of tank with sumps since I learned why its worth the extra cash for a drilled tank...

Just my .02
Old 10/30/2005, 05:41 AM
Registered Member

Welcome Todd...
Old 10/30/2005, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

Thanks all!

Mekong, I will definitely run a sump via a drilled tank. I want an in-tank overflow system, but not a bottom drilled overflow, it sounds too risky if it were to leak or crack... So, I'm thinking of this system:

http://www.barraquatic.com/overflows.php

Here's a question for you bay area reefer: Being in earthquake country, Acrylic or glass?

Todd
Old 10/31/2005, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

Welcome Todd.
I also started a reef tank 2 months ago.
I went with acrylic, not only because it's stronger, but also it is aesteticaly nicer and the siolation is better than glass (so you spend less on heating).
I also have a bottom drilled overflow, and there's no risk of crack or leak to my opinion, as the bulkhead seems perfectly sealed.
My tank is 40 gallon (and 20 g. custom made sump), and that seemed to me the best size to start with (stable enough, easy water changes, and not too much power hungry).
One thing I learnt is to use a refractometer to measure the salinity as the hydrometer I was using was totally wrong (it would say 35ppt, but refractometer indicates 41 !! )

Good luck -
Old 10/31/2005, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

Todd,

I agree with what the others have said. Drilled down to sump is much cleaner and you want more room up on top for more stuff. =)

Actually, the more room you have in your tank the more room you have to play with and aqua scape. That also means the more room for you fish to swim in. If I could do it over, I would get a predrilled tank because I got a non drilled tank. I then had to drill it myself and put in my own overflow. There shouldn't be any reason to worry about your drilled tank not being as strong as a non drilled.

Also, welcome again but this time welcome to earthquake country! Don't worry about the earthquakes, it's just hype. We are just trying to keep everyone away because everyone will move here if they knew the truth! =P

When(not if) an earthquake hits that is big enough to have you concerned about your tank, you'll have bigger issues to worry about . So no worries about those earthquakes.