Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/24/2005, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

how do you feed royal gramma?

I just got royal gramma and it keeps hiding. What do they it? How I make sure it eat?

I was also wondering do I need to feed my mushrooms? Sorry for stupid for
questions.

www.suso.org
Old 10/24/2005, 10:00 PM
Team RC Member

just give it time to get adjusted to the tank it wwill come out when it's comfortable. for the time being it is probably picking at things on it's own.
Old 10/24/2005, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

Royal Grammas are meat eaters only,,They like shrimp,,raw fish Ect..If yours is new to the tank,, might take a couple of days ???They wont pick at things,, they arnt a scavenger fish.. I think mine is about 6 years old by now,, 4 inchs long,, but they usually dont get that big,,They arnt agressive, completey reef safe,,Not much personality wise,,But pretty to look at and easy to care for..
Old 10/24/2005, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

Forgot about the Hiding trait,, yeah, they like to hide,, they really are not an open water free swimming fish,, They perfer to hide in the rocks,, but dont confuse hiding with timid,, they will defend their territory,, they like holes in rocks where they feel safe but still stick their head out and watch the tank..
Old 10/24/2005, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

Well I was feedin them with flakes, I will feed them with fish brine. Hopefully it will like it.

www.suso.org
Old 10/25/2005, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

marinochka13,

I got my gramma about 2-3 weeks ago for my wife.

He took at least 2 days or so to get comfortable in his new home.

He hangs about the lower left side of my tank in his rocks and usually only comes out to eat when I feed brine shrimp.

Hope it helps!

-=gp125racer=-
Old 10/25/2005, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

For whats its worth,, quit useing flake food,, its filled with phosphates and will drive up the phosphate level in your tank,,Can you say,, hello algae bloom?? Fish in the wild dont eat flake food,, use something a bit more natural..For my meat eating fish,, I make my own fish food that includes raw fish,shrimp,scallops,clams and garlic oil.. I run it all thru a food processor until i have a slurry..On a baking pan,, layer of foil,, smear the slurry about an 1/8 inch thic and freeze.. When frozen,, break apart in chunks, place in freezer bags..Come feeding time,, break off a small piece, soak in water, break apart even more,, then feed to the tank.. Its all natural, better for the meat eating fish..Do a search here for making your own fish food if you would like..Sure is cheaper then buying the prepared products..Put the Flake food away..
Old 10/25/2005, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

Thank you for your suggestions. So it's ok to feed both clownfish and royal gramma with meaty food?

www.suso.org
Old 10/26/2005, 12:43 AM
Team RC Member

best thing to do is feed them a varied diet. the brine is ok to get the fish eating but I wouldn't make it the regular diet. think of brine as the wonder bread of fish food
Old 11/02/2005, 09:38 AM
Team RC Member

curious as to how the gramma is doing?