Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/17/2005, 06:31 PM
No Lorenzo in my Benzo

Check out my new Blueberry Gorgonia.

Saw this at my LFS had to have it.

Old 10/17/2005, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Total crap, I've found cooler stuff under my sofa cushions.

Just kidding, sweet find.
Old 10/17/2005, 08:56 PM
No Lorenzo in my Benzo

Quote:
Originally posted by zanemoseley
Total crap, I've found cooler stuff under my sofa cushions.

Just kidding, sweet find.

Old 10/17/2005, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

that is cool, wish i would have found it
Old 10/17/2005, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

I saw one of those for sale on the net. Sweet looking! Is it photosynthetic?
Old 10/17/2005, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

I got one mail-order, which normally I don't do. It was a beauty, but, just starting falling apart very quickly.It also had these 'bulges', that seemed to have little critters, maybe hydroids (?) that would be flasing in and out all day from it. Good luck with it, they are very beautiful. It was probably my 'tank' that ruined it.
Old 10/17/2005, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

Very hard to keep coral - it is not photosynthetic and requires a lot pf special food. Most of them dont make it long. Sorry for the bad news

Peter
Old 10/18/2005, 05:54 AM
No Lorenzo in my Benzo

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Schmiedel
Very hard to keep coral - it is not photosynthetic and requires a lot pf special food. Most of them dont make it long. Sorry for the bad news

My research said that it is photosynthetic,& very hardy.I don't know from experience.
Old 10/18/2005, 09:12 AM
forever newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by EXPEDITION
My research said that it is photosynthetic,& very hardy.I don't know from experience.
Expedition,

Do you know where this coral came from? I think the rule of tumb with Gorgonians is that brown polyps usually means it is photosyntetic and white or colored means it isn't.
If it came from Indo- Pacific, most Gorgs out there are aposymbiotic according to Eric B.'s book.

"The rivers may flow away from us,but the rains are brought to us.With prayer that we may all live in peace."
Anthony Calfo
Old 10/18/2005, 03:38 PM
Premium Member

This species (Acalycigorgia sp., possibly?) is definitely NOT photosynthetic.
Old 10/18/2005, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

I had one for a month, died very quickly. Not phosynthetic and requires target feeding. They are a really sensitive, and usually dont last long. Sorry for the bad news but maybe you will have more luck than me.
Old 10/18/2005, 05:16 PM
No Lorenzo in my Benzo

Can someone give me tips on how to feed this coral.Since my LFS dont know what the heck they are doin.
Old 10/18/2005, 05:19 PM
No Lorenzo in my Benzo

Quote:
Originally posted by EXPEDITION
Can someone give me tips on how to feed this coral.Since my LFS dont know what the heck they are doin.

Also what should i feed it?
Old 10/18/2005, 06:49 PM
No Lorenzo in my Benzo

Better pic.

Old 10/19/2005, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

I was lured by its beauty as well... Thats before I knew better.. I watched it die a sloooow death. Its unfortunate that retailers dont warn you of this, as my LFS sure didnt.

Sorry for your loss...

Johnny
Old 10/19/2005, 05:46 AM
No Lorenzo in my Benzo

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainNemo
I was lured by its beauty as well... Thats before I knew better.. I watched it die a sloooow death. Its unfortunate that retailers dont warn you of this, as my LFS sure didnt.

Sorry for your loss...

Johnny

Wait its not DEAD!!!!!

Unfortuneatly i did find out about this last nite,i found 2 people who have managed to keep them alive for 1 yr with positive growth.Just need LOTS of photoplankton,& Cyclops-eeze (freeze-dried).

After all i have kept an Eletric Flame for 6mo so far.He is very healthy lookin.
Old 10/19/2005, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Keep us posted on your feeding methods. It's not FAIR! Things that look that amazing should not be brought up to tempt us if they're so hard...
Do you have much in your system for natural plankton production? This might help you out too, it is obviously liking the location you've chosen.
Old 10/20/2005, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

I had something very similar come in on Florida live rock. It only lasted a few weeks.
Old 10/20/2005, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

Pete, do you mind sharing what type of flow you placed it in & feeding efforts?
Old 10/20/2005, 05:29 PM
No Lorenzo in my Benzo

Quote:
Originally posted by WendyMc
Pete, do you mind sharing what type of flow you placed it in & feeding efforts?
So far it looks good,i have a 45x turnover rate,in my nano,& i have it placed twoards the back of the tank,last nite i mixed Selcon,& Cyclops-Eeze,(freezed dried) turned off all flow,except 1 powerhead and fed it with a turkey baster.
Old 10/20/2005, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

Did you notice the polyps actively eating? I've seen some gargonians' polyps close up on target fed plankton.
Old 10/20/2005, 06:34 PM
No Lorenzo in my Benzo

Yes i watched them consume the Cyclops-Eeze,i left the flow off for about 10 min,while it ate.
Old 10/20/2005, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

That's awesome! If you don't mind keeping me updated, I'd really appreciate it. I'm SO in love w/this coral...
Old 10/20/2005, 06:44 PM
No Lorenzo in my Benzo

Quote:
Originally posted by WendyMc
That's awesome! If you don't mind keeping me updated, I'd really appreciate it. I'm SO in love w/this coral...

Not at all,i will give you the play-by play.I wish you could see it in person it is to die for.I have beautiful ORA Blue tort,& other awesome sps,but this one takes the cake.I think i can keep it alive.I have an Eletric Flame Scallop in my tank that everyone said would die cause it needs too much food to.I have had it for 6mo,& its very happy lookin.
Old 10/20/2005, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Are you doing anything special for that scallop? I've read about successes up to a yr, but haven't found much beyond that. I've never tried one, when I worked for a large chain retail pet store they had us keep them in stock regularly. They were considered a low loss, high profit specimen most people working there didn't know about their grim survival rate, or even care to know. Course, that was back in the skilter/crushed coral day. I think w/fuges & dsb we are getting on the right track to emulating a more natural environment. We also have better foods available. Course, here I am, trying to learn from your tank rather than braving it on my own.