Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/02/2005, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

Ritteri lighting question

How goes it, Anthony? Still insanely busy? Had a great time at IMAC Will you be at MACNA 2006?

And an abrupt subject change...

I'm setting up a ritteri species tank. Going for an oddly shaped 90 gallon most likely, (48"X iforget X 20H") with a closed loop manifold driven by a Sequence Dart (3.8kgph I think), dsb, 55 gallon sump, etc. I'm sparing no expense (new job ). My question is lighting - I was considering all T5's, as the tank isn't going to be that deep (20") with a 5-6" dsb, but I'm still hesitant. (Never used anything but halides). Was considering 6-8 54w bulbs. If I went the T5 route I'd build a little rock structure to keep the anemone in the top 8" or so. Do you this this is acceptable? If not, I was considering either 2x 175w halide pendants, or 2x 250w pendants (was thinking 250 probably isn't necessary due to the shallow water, but I know ritteri's like light, so I thought I'd get another opinion).

Going to let the tank go dsb + LR for several months before I add anything, and then the ritteri will be the first. I plan on having fun with lots of micro invert innoculations ^^.

Any input?

Thanks, as always.

Edit: Do T5's run cooler than halides when the power consumption is equal? If so, I would prefer to use the T5's if possible.
Old 09/03/2005, 12:03 AM
Parapterois heterura

I would rarely say that MH are mandatory for anything... but I may need to make an exception here. Ritteri anemones are some of the most light demanding cnidarians in the entire hobby. I honestly regret seeing them imported, as most folks fail to keep them successfully beyond dismal import survivability.

I have faith that you will make this a good go.

My advice is high wattage warm colored MH. 5000-7000K ideally, but at least no warmer than 10k K

about 10 watts per gallon should do the trick... and the 175 watt lamps might be OK here for how shallow this tank is.

I will also be at MACNA 2006 regardless of speaking (if invited) or not (attendee)
Old 09/03/2005, 01:26 AM
Premium Member

Neither of my lighting schemes meet 10 watts per gallon...but I did figure I'd need the halide intensity here. From what I've read, it seems overkill on the light seems best for ritteri's, even though I sure as heck don't do that for anything else.

I would vastly prefer the 175 watters, less heat and power consumption, but I'm wary. I'll make sure the ritteri is pretty high. I had definitely planned on lower kelvin temps (nothing above 10k for sure).

Should I avoid the species entirely? It will be a species tank, so hopefully no long term problems if I can keep it alive for the first year or so.

Thanks again, see you at MACNA!
Old 09/03/2005, 09:48 AM
Reef Fanatic

Jumping on the thread, can a 20" deep tank with T5 HO be sufficient to keep a wide variety of stuff, including some SPS (if kept nearer to the top) and clams?

RK: Where only bad things happen fast...

CRAZY 4 the CRASE - Oct 13, 2007
Conf for Reef Aquarists and SW Enthusiasts
Google it - Search for: craseokc
Old 09/03/2005, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by captbunzo
Jumping on the thread, can a 20" deep tank with T5 HO be sufficient to keep a wide variety of stuff, including some SPS (if kept nearer to the top) and clams?
Definitely. I have some maximas and some monti's growing like crazy under PCs.
Old 09/03/2005, 03:57 PM
Parapterois heterura

I know you to be diligent, Michael... I would not talk you out of this ritteri for a species tank... but I would talk most folks out of it. Your call, bro.
Old 09/03/2005, 05:40 PM
Premium Member

I'm just going to go with a haddoni. I've seen some nice red and blue ones. Thanks for the info, as always!
Old 09/11/2005, 05:13 AM
Registered Member

anthony,
i have read that ritteri like blue in their light but here you say low kelvin light is better,is there a history of ritteri surviving better under low k lights?i would think lower k as on the reef they are high up .
thanks
ben
Old 09/12/2005, 11:59 AM
Parapterois heterura

it is categorically a dismal anemone for aquarium use (and collection)!

They come from very high light regions of the reef.

They need bright, warm daylight. Period, my friend.

After you give the 10+ watts per gallon of warm daylight, you can then add enough blue to please your aesthetic preference.
Old 09/24/2005, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

I have had a ritteri for 3 years, he moved directly under a 400w 20k about 10 inches from the bulb. it also enjoys lots of current.
Old 09/25/2005, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

hi firefish ,
do you have any other k bulbs over your tank?
thanks
ben
Old 09/26/2005, 06:45 AM
Registered Member

just the 2 400w and 2 40w actinics.