Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/20/2005, 08:07 PM
Hab SoSlI' Quch!

Quote:
Originally posted by thereefgeek
A few years ago Jeni found one like that crawling across the kitchen floor. Of course I was dispatched to the scene to kill it but all I had was a shoe handy. When I thumped it, about a million little babies (we couldn't see) that were riding on the mother spider's back scatered in every direction. I was slapping that shoe all over the floor like a crazed lunatic and Jeni was shrieking like a girl...oh wait...she is a girl. She's usually pretty good about creepy crawlies, but spiders are where she draws the line. "That's what boys are for."

OMG! That freaks me out. I'm not afraid of spiders or bugs in general, but just thinking about hundreds of baby spiders rampaging on my kitchen floor is making me itch. EEPS!

Anyone know what this is? Jason found it on the porch a few weeks ago.

Old 09/20/2005, 08:15 PM
Moved On

That's just a little jumping spider. Harmless. My chameleon loves those, when she can catch them
Old 09/20/2005, 08:16 PM
Hab SoSlI' Quch!

Next time I see one, I'll save it for your chameleon.
Old 09/20/2005, 08:19 PM
Moved On

Say hello to Garypus californicus, a pseudoscorpion. These guys inhabit beach rack (that nasty kelp that washes up) and eat detritus and really tiny bugs. They are about the size of those little jumping spiders, and they look just like them when their front claws are folded up.

That is, until you stick your hand down to try and collect them. Then they do this....

Old 09/20/2005, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

This thread needs an arachnophobe warning! I'm still hyperventilating just from the pictures. Ay ay ay.
Old 09/20/2005, 08:59 PM
Flagrant.

Quote:
Originally posted by Izsabelle
OMG! That freaks me out. I'm not afraid of spiders or bugs in general, but just thinking about hundreds of baby spiders rampaging on my kitchen floor is making me itch. EEPS!

Anyone know what this is? Jason found it on the porch a few weeks ago.

I used to have those spiders around my old house. They even freaked my husband out a lil and he is not scared of bugs at all.

Those spiders would stare you down and watch your every move. kinda unnerving.
Old 09/20/2005, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

i caught a different species of jumping spider that was hoppin around on my tank the other day, ive got to say i dont think ive worked so hard to catcha bug.
Old 09/21/2005, 01:16 AM
I talk too much...

those are the black ones i am talking about! i LOVE them! i often fine ones with yellow spots and their fangs/feelers are a irredecent green and is so pretty. their jump is amazing and they are hard to photograph because they jump and when they are not jumping they are twittering in circles. i like them because they are smart (hence the stare you down bit) and will take a bug from my hand, and their hyper circle making patterns are fun to watch, they just sort of stay in one place and fidget making circles as they move.

i am on the wrong computer to upload pics, but i may go over to it tommorow and upload a pic of my cute fuzzy black spider pal, a big black widow and another nasty i found in a flower pot.

but on the issue of baby widdows- wouldn't it lay an egg sack first? i still want my sister to get the D@MN thing outta the house!!!! but she won't!

i also think i found an albino black widdow a long time ago (like when i was 8 years old), it was yellow with a purple hour glass mark. very cool.

one last tidbit then i will go to bed. once on americas funniest home vidoes there was a clip of a jumping spider on a computer screen trying to catch the mouse arrow as it moved. it was so cute! that was the funniest thing i ever saw on that show!

okay i'm leaving before i start to ramble!
Old 09/21/2005, 11:17 PM
Teeam Gary!

OMG, I will generally let spiders be spiders out in the yard, but in my house or garage, they get stomped or showered with "scrubbing bubbles" (Don't look, lilleahseafreak!) Black widows, if I see 'em, get blasted with the old bernz-o-matic torch. Sorry PETA.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you can get rid of him for a whole weekend.
Old 09/22/2005, 01:05 AM
I talk too much...

don't worry, my dad did the worst offence already. we were in the truck when the cutest little fussy brown spider poped out onto the dash board, one of the kind i love to play with, in a cute-sie voice said "oh dad look" and he reached over and smashed it! it ruined the trip, i felt bad for the bug...i was just showing him the spider cos i know he likes that kind too, then i was going to amuse myself with it on the trip and scoot it on a piece of paper and put it out the door when we got to where we were going..

instead i got to sit there and stare at its guts smeared on the dashboard!
Old 09/22/2005, 10:45 AM
Flagrant.

Quote:
instead i got to sit there and stare at its guts smeared on the dashboard!
LOL, My Favorite bug is an Smushed Bug!