Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/18/2005, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Mark,

My Dad has this awesome set of tools. We can fix that tank like new bro. Also there’s this gadget out now that uses magnets to clean the water. I can’t remember the name right now, but we can hook it up and say goodbye to that nasty yellow film. I say we drop in a damsel right now and start cycling that bad boy.

Seriously, I'm so glad it wasn't worse. You're family is blessed to have not been hit so hard. I wouldn't want to go through what you have to, but at least you can just look not too far from you and see how much worse it could have been.
Hang in there homie. It's going to be a long clean up, but it'll be a better, stronger, smarter NoLa
Euroreef CS8-3+
And too many lights
Old 09/18/2005, 11:38 AM
get your reef on

thanks for the pics, it's great that your house is still standing.
I don't envy the clean up you have in front of you, both your house and the
business.

your 110 is horrible, I can only imagine how bad cleaning out a larger tank would be,
be happy your did not have the 280 going, double the smell if you can imagine it.
Old 09/18/2005, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Wow... that stinks big time about your 110. Sorry you have been having bad luck with your vehicles as well. Hopefully things will straighten out for you soon.
Old 09/18/2005, 11:15 PM
Tiny Miracles.

What no pics of the 280?
Old 09/18/2005, 11:39 PM
In Too Deep

Old 09/18/2005, 11:40 PM
In Too Deep

Quote:
Originally posted by jthnhale
you can use the rock, just not for a while. take it out and hose it off, then put it out back somewhere you don't have to look at it or smell it. when your ready you can then place it back in salt water and cook all the crap out of it. then you'll have some base rock for yourself or someone to use.
I still agree with this. Let all the stuff inside the rock rot off in the open air and it will actually stop smelling....after a month or two.
Old 09/18/2005, 11:47 PM
In Too Deep

Quote:
Originally posted by NOLACLS
This isnt a house pic but another random storm shot...notice the coat factory sign on shell and then look in the background to see where it came from

Do you notice anything else a little ironic about this pic?

The insurance ad didnt go anywhere!
Old 09/19/2005, 12:57 AM
TRC Leader

Reefwaters, the more you look at that picture, the funnier stuff you can find. How about that "one way" sign?

Nolacls, I'm really sorry for what you've had to endure. This really sucks. I do think you could re-cure the LR in a vat of saltwater with a skimmer, but it would be some time before it would be useable. So many losses. Ugh.
Old 09/19/2005, 02:14 AM
Registered Member

hey iv never reaplyd to this thread b 4 but glad ur ok and hope everything goes ok 4 u
Old 09/19/2005, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

i think i like the bench advertising for flood insurance!!! wow, so much destruction...
Old 09/19/2005, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

The pictures were pretty amazing. Reminds me a lot of South Florida after Andrew hit in 1992. What a mess.
Old 09/21/2005, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

One big problem with trying to save that rock was I had no access to salt to make new water...all the lfs were still closed and im actually living in houma not nola right now. I am not worried about the $ loss because that tank was about 8-9 years old along with the rock. I am more upset about loosing some of the corals I have had for almost that long too and were some real nice ones. I think our Ins company might give me some $ to cover the equipment loss if not I will just get it from the company

That shell pic is pretty funny

I didnt take more pics of the 280 because nothing has changed from the last ones I had sadly enough

On a good note...I am typing this from work....ahhhhhhh now I dont have to work all day

Did yall see the new storm in the gulf....im so glad that sucker is trucking west...already a cat4. That would be the final blow to NOLA if it turns.....
Old 09/21/2005, 05:42 PM
TRC Leader

Yes, I did. It seems Texas is its target. I hope those that evacuated to Texas from the southern states will be okay through this mess, as well as the natives.
Old 09/21/2005, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

Yes... Rita is a Cat 5 now and looks to miss NOLA. I was thinking the same thing... a Cat 5 storm hitting the area now would be a terrible blow.
Hopefully it dies down a bit before it hits TX.
Old 09/22/2005, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

They are saying now it might be TX/LA border....so now with me in houma I might have to do this all over again...and it could hurt NOLA again because the levees are not fixed...just patched. I am not in a good mood right now....
Old 09/22/2005, 12:07 PM
Premium Member

Allegheny College 1990 Div. III National Champs - Football (I was starting Left OT)
Old 09/23/2005, 01:38 PM
Tiny Miracles.

It looks like New Orleans is flooding all over again.......

Can we say De Ja Vu?New Orleans
Old 09/23/2005, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefWaters
Do you notice anything else a little ironic about this pic?

The insurance ad didnt go anywhere!
Yeah and theres only one way to go and thats up

Josh
Old 10/03/2005, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

re...

so is there a tally on all the salvagable things?
Old 10/04/2005, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

Nothing from the 110 according to the ins company I can still use the small wetdry/skimmer&pump and the two lum3 reflectors I was using till the 280 needed them. Other than that its all trashed if you ask me. I have some ballast that went under water for a while but I dont know if that would be safe to run.

I did finally get to go see if my car was flooded at the body shop it was at during the storm. This area of town got like 5-6'....and the verdict is its NOT flooded The mean ol bodyshop man parked all the cars on his roof top parking lot! I found a pic of it too with all the water around. You can kinda see my car by the yellow arrow. Now who knows how long it will take to get it down from there. Why couldnt he have just put it on the ground
Old 10/04/2005, 09:58 AM
get your reef on

hey good to hear from you

how did you fid that picture? did they photograph the entire city for you guys?

if your in a rush maybe you can borrow one of those big army helicopters and rescue your car
Old 10/04/2005, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

I found it on the net...they have just a bunch of random shots from satellites....that and I went there and saw where the car was so I was able to find it. I dont want to rescue it...if I lift it with a helicopter I will drop it to the ground
Old 10/04/2005, 01:31 PM
In Too Deep

Wow! How were you so lucky to get the one car shop with an elevated garage?
Old 10/04/2005, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

re..

so just collapse the support beams to the garage lol.... im sure the other owners of the cars wont mind.
Old 10/14/2005, 01:25 AM
Premium Member

ok good news bad new....

Good news is the tank is finally on the stand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had 5 people on it and boy that sucker is heavy just to lift on to the stand. The fit is perfect and it looks so darn sexy up there.

Here are some pics

Plenty room back there

Now for the bad news. It looks like this tank is not going to see water for a very long time. Its looking like I might be moving in the next year or two. So I am plagued with the decision....should I set it up knowing how soon I will be tearing it down and moving it or just leave it empty for now. I am fearing it will be empty Even if that happens I will continue getting all the parts and filtration squared away. I don't know.....I am very excited to have it on the stand finally!